Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Same ISBN, multiple artworks

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 11 comments Only example I know of: 0064471969 Shade's Children. Google image search the ISBN, you'll see both artworks, significantly different.

message 2: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi Matt,

Very interesting. The source for that book is from Amazon.com, and so we are using the same cover they are: [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0064...].

message 3: by Matt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Matt Mazenauer (provlear) | 11 comments Nonetheless, I have the book in my hands with the same ISBN and a different cover. What's more mine looks cooler (and more importantly) I believe it is the first cover under thsi ISBN. I'm having a similar problem with a Rainbow Six cover. I know it's minor but I don't want to delete what might be a more popular cover. Our nemesis LibraryThing offeres a handy "choose which cover is yours" thingy.

message 4: by Femmy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Femmy | 26 comments I've encountered the same thing in Enid Blyton's books. The Indonesian publisher have used two different covers for the same ISBN, probably changing them so as to adjust to the changing readers' taste.

message 5: by roshanak (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

roshanak | 1 comments It's "international standard book number"

message 6: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

We do offer the ability to 'change your cover', which is really just changing which edition you've reviewed. Just 'view all editions' on the book page and then click 'switch to this cover'.

So I you could create a new edition of the book with the cover you prefer (if it doesn't already exist) then switch to it.

message 7: by Lavina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Lavina (lavina_l) | 3 comments The only problem with creating a new edition of the book with the cover you prefer is that the "edition" may not actually be a distinct and different edition, but the same exact book with the same ISBN and just different cover art. Because the same ISBN can apply to books with different cover art, it doesn't seem currently possible to choose the cover you want without also choosing an actual different edition with a different ISBN. Eek; this is confusing language.

To maybe clarify: I ran into this problem with Michael Chabon's Wonder Boys. The copy I read was ISBN 0312140940 (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22...), but with the cover that's attached to the Wheeler edition with ISBN 1568952570 (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40...) -- movie editions are common culprits of multiple covers with the same ISBN. A search for ISBN 0312140940 yields the movie version cover with Michael Douglas, so I had to decide whether it was more important that the ISBN was accurate, or the cover (tough call -- aesthetics over accuracy?).

message 8: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Don LaVange (wickenden) | 4 comments Hi,
I noticed that ISBN 0374266425
http://www.amazon.com/Sophies-World-J...

lists here as a paperback, when in fact it's a hardback with the cover art as in the link shown above.

don

message 9: by Don (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Don LaVange (wickenden) | 4 comments how does one create a new version with the cover one prefers?

d.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 2 comments I don't think you can create a new version with the same ISBN. I think the consensus for the time being is that the most recent edition should possess the ISBN in the goodreads database, and that in older editions with the same ISBN, the ISBN should be left blank in your newly created edition but referenced somewhere in the notes or something. This is what I did for an older version of Ivan Denisovich that I had read, but had the same ISBN as a newer version already in the goodreads database....

if that makes any sense. Hopefully, one day we will be able to have multiple covers for 1 ISBN, as it seems this issue is becoming more common.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 39978 comments Mod
I don't think you can create a new version with the same ISBN. I think the consensus for the time being is that the most recent edition should possess the ISBN in the goodreads database, and that in older editions with the same ISBN, the ISBN should be left blank in your newly created edition but referenced somewhere in the notes or something.

Exactly.

message 12: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Hopefully, one day we will be able to have multiple covers for 1 ISBN, as it seems this issue is becoming more common.

Noted :)

message 13: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 330 comments I just realized that the particular editions that I had flagged as owning of the three Lord ofthe rings books didn't match as to ISBN so I removed the old ones from my list and entered the correct ones. As with the other books cited in this thread. NONE of the three showed a cover that matched the book I had in my hands.

I seem to recall a display at one of the large NYC bookstores a few years back where they had three different color covers all for the same book arranged in a clever display. I think it was a Tom Clancy novel and the covers were not surprisingly predomnantly Red, White and Blue.

message 14: by jenjn79 (last edited May 11, 2008 01:55PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments If an edition of a book shares an ISBN with a previous issue of the same book, but has different cover art and a different publisher, should a new GR entry be made for that book (using a blank ISBN)?

I picked up a copy of Karen Rose's "Count To Ten" today, but when I entered the ISBN (0-446-61690-7) to add it to my shelves, the result I got didn't match the book I have. The ISBN is the same, but the cover is different, along with the publisher - the one I have is Grand Central Publishing, whereas the existing entry is Warner Vision.

If it was just different cover art, I'd use the existing edition, but I thought since it was a different publisher as well, it might warrant a new entry. Yes? No?

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 11, 2008 03:19PM) (new)

First I would check the accuracy of the current entry. Amazon has a different cover and "your" publisher; Powell's has that cover but the other publisher; B&N is the same as Amazon; WorldCat is the same as B&N; LoC shows no covers and lists Warner Books.

Oh, and Grand Central Publishing and Warner Vision are both divisions of Warner Books. (Now merged into Hachette Book Group.)

I think the different cover warrants a new entry, regardless. I would put a note in the description -- something like "alternate cover for ISBN 0-446-61690-7."

message 16: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments I know the current entry on here was right at the time because when I read the book from the library, that's what it was. I wanted a personal copy and picked it up at Wal-Mart today and encountered the differences.

Didn't know about Warner merger though, so that's probably why the differences. The new edition is likely out because the author's new hardcover comes out Tuesday.

I'll add a new entry for this edition and add a note to it about the ISBNs.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Oh, I think the current GR listing is a correct one (I found several sites with that cover too) -- that's why I suggested adding a new edition instead of changing the current one.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.

message 18: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 565 comments No problem!

It's the publishers fault ;) They should have just slapped on a new ISBN instead of making it all confusing.

I've got a new entry added for the new edition, plus a note about the duplicate ISBNs.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

New ISBNs cost money! They're just being efficient and recycling. ;)

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3 comments any progress on this matter? I am also a nit-picky cover person and would like to be able to choose among multiple covers for one ISBN.

I apologize as I may have missed an update on this—I don't always have time to sift through all the help topics and librarian digest emails :(

message 21: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 21, 2008 09:40AM) (new)

It is my understanding that being able to do anything other than what we do now -- adding a blank-ISBN with a comment in the description box for alternate covers -- is unlikely to happen anytime soon, as it involves a major overhaul of how the GR database works.

message 22: by Revel (new)

Revel Drummond | 2 comments Hi All. My two cents. This seems quite a common issue within my collection, which is largely Sci-Fi. I will be adding, I hope, quite a lot of covers over the next few months. Winter here in NZ, and what else am I doing?

Just to be clear...

1. If the ISBN exists in the database and the cover art matches the book I have, do nothing.

2. If the ISBN exists in the database and no cover image is attached, add the cover art I have.

3. If the ISBN exists in the database and the cover does not match the artwork I have, make a new entry with no ISBN and put a statement in the comment field that says "Alternate cover for ISBN xxxxxxxxxxx"

4. If the ISBN is not in the database, just add the book. :)

message 23: by Revel (new)

Revel Drummond | 2 comments In a separate but related thought.

Cover art often ties a particular print run together. I have the first four Hitchhiker's Guide books in one print run and the covers all tie together. An obvious recent example would be the Harry Potter books, the adult vs. children's covers. I guess you hate it as much as I do when you have most of a series in one style of cover and the last in another.

Any ideas on how to show that some print runs match like this.

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Revel, re your #22: Exactly.

Re your #23, maybe when we have series, but I doubt even then.

message 25: by JSWolf (last edited May 06, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments Speaking of the same ISBN numbers. What about when a pBook version and eBook version both use the same ISBN number?

message 26: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The same procedure as outlined in post 22, point 3 above.

message 27: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments How do I go about reporting errors or the need for a cover for a book already entered by someone else? I did this with the wrong ISBN for a book I was entering but I've seen plenty of books with no covers for example.

message 28: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Starting a thread here is fine, or posting in some of the existing ones.

message 29: by Cecile (new)

Cecile | 67 comments I have books printed in the 70s and they don't have an ISBN written anywhere inside, I suppose they didn't bother much with that at the time.
I searched on the web for an ISBN for these editions, but found only unreliable information (some ISBN I found also matched recent editions, with a different cover of course).
In these cases I created a new entry with no ISBN and the same cover as the book in my hands. It's a bit like post 22, point 3 above. Should I mention in a comment that there is no ISBN printed on the book ?

I also have the issue with books having the wrong cover because of a reprint with the same ISBN. Now I know what to do with them.

message 30: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cecile wrote: "Should I mention in a comment that there is no ISBN printed on the book ?"

I would suggest a Librarian's Note with that information, yes.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2403 comments Cecile, When I manually enter pre ISBN books I also put as much information as I can in the book description section. Most of those books have Library of Congress catalog numbers or other identifying information. I put that info in, or I started to at some point. With my earliest entries, when I was learning, I generally didn't think to do that, unfortunately.

message 32: by Cecile (new)

Cecile | 67 comments Ok, I will add a comment for my books with no ISBN.

As of the Library of Congress, I'm afraid I will not find most of my books in French. Yet I found one, written by a French author, so I added the LCCN permalink in my note. But I don't think they have the French version of books initially written in English.

Thanks for the tips.

Lisa  (not getting friends updates) Vegan (lisavegan) | 2403 comments Cecile, Oh, so you might want to have the description in French or say in English that the book is a French language book. The more information that's in the book description, the more likely it will be that GR librarians and other GR members know that it's a legitimate book that belongs in the GR database.

message 34: by Cecile (new)

Cecile | 67 comments Lisa wrote: "Cecile, Oh, so you might want to have the description in French or say in English that the book is a French language book..."

I found 2 web sites where they sell these old French editions, where I can get the cover and the description from the outside back cover, so no sweat.