Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Can books with different authors be combined?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by mlady_rebecca (last edited Jun 26, 2009 03:16AM) (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments I was trying to shelve the original Hans Christian Andersen version of "The Little Mermaid" and noticed that there were Disney versions combined under the same title. At least some of those combined editions don't even list Hans Christian Andersen as an author, so I don't understand how they could have been combined in the first place.

Will manually separating those editions knock them back to the Walt Disney author page? Is that where they should be? What is the procedure for a Disney-fied fairy tale?

Edited to add: Actually, other Hans Christian Andersen tales have been "adapted" by other authors. Who should be listed first on an adaption, Hans Christian Andersen or the other guy?

Thanks!

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "At least some of those combined editions don't even list Hans Christian Andersen as an author, so I don't understand how they could have been combined in the first place."

If you change the author after combining, the editions stay combined.

"What is the procedure for a Disney-fied fairy tale?"

I wouldn't list Hans Christian Andersen on the Disney movie books, but it's one of those sliding scale things, how adapted a book has to be before it's not the same book....

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45058 comments Mod
mlady_rebecca wrote: "Who should be listed first on an adaption, Hans Christian Andersen or the other guy?"

Adapter first, then HCA.