Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Vampire Academy

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Jun 24, 2009 01:56PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments One of Richelle Mead's series is the Vampire Academy series. is anyone currently reading one of these books or has read it?

Are they good, not good? are they YA or adult?

Here are the books in the series (in order):
Vampire Academy
Frostbite
Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
Blood Promise
Spirit Bound

Please hold off on commenting until July.

** Note - Spoilers are allowed but please indicate at the top of your post if you will be writing a spoiler. Thank you **

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments How many people on here have already read the first 3 books of the series?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments Me! I absolutely adore them and am waiting ever so impatiently for Blood Promise. This series was my introduction to Richelle's writing, and she's quickly become one of my favorites.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I haven't started any of these yet, but I'm definitely interested.

Would you say that this is a YA series?

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments It's definitely YA. Rose is 17 and the series takes place during her final year at school. It's a very well written YA series though and can be enjoyed by adults as easily as young adults. And hey, Dimitri is of legal age. ;)

message 6: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments ****MAJOR SPOLIER FOR SHADOW KISS****

I just adore Dimitri! I cried through the entire ending with him being turned! I am really anxious to see what's going to happen next. I do have to say that it takes some major guts as an author to kill off one of your most loved characters. So, even though I was extremely upset, props to Mead for it.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 437 comments *** SPOILER WARNING ***

I'm right there with you, Kelley Anne. I cried when I read the book, and then I cried on my drive home when I listened to the audiobook. LOL

I have full faith that Lyssa's healing powers are some how going to not necessarily fix Dimitri, but turn himm into something he and Rose can live with. I'm definitely still holding out for that HEA. =D (Plus, Lyssa owes Rose, especially after being such a selfish witch to her when Rose left school to find Dimitri)

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments **SHadow Kiss Spoiler**

I know, I was so mad at Lyssa! Doesn't she realize that Rose's entire life has been about what's best for Lyssa. And now, there is something she needs to do for herself. I mean, yeah, I'd probably be upset that Rose had kept all of that from me and was leaving without saying goodbye, but I'd understand why she needs to leave.

I'm not so sure that we will have a HEA. But, we'll see. And although I LOVE Dimitri, Adrian tugged at my heartstrings at the end of Shadow Kiss. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. I always just assumed that he was just having fun and wasn't at all serious about his crush. Now, realizing that's not the case, I kinda feel bad for the guy. He hasn't had a chance at all, and he's known it the whole time.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I've read all three. The first two were just "eh, ok" for me, but the third one cinched my undying devotion to the series. I agree with all comments so far under the spoiler posts.

message 10: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I've read the first 3. The first one didn't impress me a lot. I just don't care for Lyssa and still don't. But the 2nd one was better and I really liked the 3rd one.

message 11: by April (new)

April I've read the first three. I love them and I'm excited for Blood Promise.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Melodie wrote: "I've read the first 3. The first one didn't impress me a lot. I just don't care for Lyssa and still don't. But the 2nd one was better and I really liked the 3rd one."

That's how I felt, Melodie. But the third one blew me out of the water with character and plot!

message 13: by Jessi (new)

Jessi  (jessim) I loved these books! I picked up the first one just to check it out b/c everyone was praising it. I couldn't not put it down, i read them all back to back. Shadow Kiss made me cry, I love Dimitri and Rose. I can't till Blood Promise comes out. I haven't read any of Richelle Mead's other series, but hopefully they are all this good.

message 14: by Ellen (last edited Jul 03, 2009 01:47AM) (new)

Ellen | 326 comments I have fallen in love with these books. I first found the book sitting on a target shelf, and it looked interesting, but I had no idea how much I would love them!
And I agree about Lissa she was being selfish and before the end of the third book I really liked her, and now... I dont like her so much!
I am interested to see if anything will happen between Adrian and Rose, and even though I heart Dimitri I would like to see it happen. Just to see if they would go together... Hehe imagine the queens reaction if she found out about it!! Lol.

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol! The Queen would have a fit! Knowing me, I'd go out with him at least once just to make her mad! The next book will be really interesting to see how things work out. I'm wondering if Lissa and Adrian will even be in most of it. Of course, Adrian will probably be able to track Rose pretty easily since he's giving her the money.

message 16: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments I didnt think of that!
BP is supposed to be mostly set in Russia, and on Meads twitter (or something else) she wrote:
Libby, Montana - You are proving terribly inconvenient for Vampire Academy 5.
So, I have got no idea what is or will happen! I can only pray that Dimitri doesnt get killed off!

message 17: by Jesika (new)

Jesika Jess wrote: "One of Richelle Mead's series is the Vampire Academy series. is anyone currently reading one of these books or has read it?

Are they good, not good? are they YA or adult?

Here are the books in th..."

Oh em gee ! how did you find out what the 5th book title is going to be ?!

message 18: by Jesika (new)

Jesika Kelley Anne wrote: "How many people on here have already read the first 3 books of the series? "

i have and i haven't been the same since =) hehe. i annoy the crap out of my best friend because all i can talk about is this series ! lol

message 19: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jul 09, 2009 08:52AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments The title for the 5th book is on goodreads, if you just do a search with Richelle Mead's name. So, I would assume that she probably also has it listed on her website.

I'm going to go ahead and start the thread for Blood Promise under the new releases section, even though the books doesn't come out until late next month. That way if we discuss our thoughts on what's going to come next, we wont be spoiling anything for those people that haven't read the first 3 yet. Especially since I really don't want to give away the ending to #3 for those that still need to read it!

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah as Kelley said I just searched on goodreads.. I haven't read this series yet, I didn't realize that the 5th book wasn't out yet

message 21: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments You haven't read this series yet? You should! I think that you'd love them!

message 22: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments Glad to hear these are good to!! I have them on my list as well! Wish I could get paid to just read all day long ;) LOL

message 23: by Ellen (last edited Jul 10, 2009 06:29PM) (new)

Ellen | 326 comments The fifth book -Spirit Bound- is supposed to be released sometime in April next year but Mead says her duedate to finish it is in August, so it isnt finished yet.(From her blog)
That made me realise just how long it takes to get a book published once it has been written.

Susan if we could get paied to read all day I would make a fortune. Lol.

message 24: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments actually, I sometimes feel like I do get paid to read! At least at one of my jobs. I get to listen to audiobooks 40 hours a week! I LOVE my job!!!

message 25: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "You haven't read this series yet? You should! I think that you'd love them!"

I know.. I don't know why I haven't gotten to them yet. I think it's the fact that it's a YA book, and I'm always a little leery about YA books..

message 26: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. I have this series here to read at home too and I'm really looking forward to reading them but I'm going to finish off the Georgina Kincaid Succubus series first.

Kelley Anne I want to come and work with you.

message 27: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol! Everyone always asks me why I don't get bored with my job. I tell them that it's my dream job! No stress, I'm really good at what I do, great pay, plus I get paid to read!!! Who could ever ask for more?

message 28: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments You are very very lucky Kelley Anne that's for sure!!!

message 29: by Danni (new)

Danni | 8 comments Haha I love this series and i highly recommend it to anybody who hast read it. It's just amazing :) And ya I would love to read all day as a job or listen to audio books :)

message 30: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "lol! Everyone always asks me why I don't get bored with my job. I tell them that it's my dream job! No stress, I'm really good at what I do, great pay, plus I get paid to read!!! Who could ever..."

What do you do for your job!!!

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I work for the Post Office doing data entry. It's a really easy job, once you've gotten the hang of it and have your typing speeds up. But I've been there for 4 years, so I don't really even have to think about what I'm doing anymore. I just type and then I can concentrate on the books I'm listening to!

message 32: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments I would love to be able to do that! But I am still in school, and if I get caught not doing my work or paying attention I get into trouble!
Not that it has stopped me before. =D

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) | 97 comments i was almost late to work this morning because i couldn't put down Vampire Academy! I finished it as soon as i got home. I really hope my library hurries to get the next one to me

message 34: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol! I've done that before. But my most common thing is just not sleeping until I finish reading. And that usually is about an hour or 2 before I have to be awake! I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite series. I have been dying to read the next one.

message 35: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Me too Kelley Anne.
Another thing for me is I will put the book down because I am really tired and need sleep but as soon as I try to go to asleep I am kept awake by thinking about the book!

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yep! Me too! I will just keep telling myself that I can't finish reading it, I have to get some sleep. But finally, I'll just get back up and keep reading. Oh well, who needs sleep anyways?