New Authors Under the Mainstream Radar discussion

Getting Started...Open to Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (TaylorDiVico) | 31 comments Mod
I would love to create some giveaway events and discussions beginning in mid-July. I'm figuring that will be enough time to get a sizeable amount of new authors and readers involved in this group, so that we can have some wonderful discussions and feedback opportunities.

Of course, new authors can always gain from feedback and reviews, so any readers who would be so kind as to post a review on Goodreads, Amazon, or anywhere else may consider contacting the author requesting a free copy in exchange for a review. Most of us would be happy to oblige!

In addition, I would love to sign on an avid reader as another moderator, so that we authors and readers are equally represented. If interested, please contact me.

message 2: by Jaimey (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) Hi, Taylor! This is a great idea for a group. Sounds like you have a good start here.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Jaimey, author of four Regency romance novels. (Also an avid reader. LOL)

I like the idea of readers contacting authors for a free review copy. I have special PDF files of my books for just such a purpose and I LOVE giving them out.

Giveaways and events are a wonderful way to encourage participation. May I also suggest blog lists for authors, twitter addys, and websites? In different threads, of course, so that readers may choose who they want to follow, visit, etc.

Great job and keep up the good work! :o)

~Jaimey Grant

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Thanks Jamie!

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Welcome Thomma! So glad to have you here. Congrats on Mirror Blue. Please make sure to add it to our list and to invite your friends on over. I'm thinking once we build our member list up, we can start with giveaways, events, book discussions etc... Please keep us updated on your writing endeavors.
-Taylor

message 5: by Taylor (new)

Yay! Thanks for the enthusiasm...I'm really excited for this group too! I think it will be a really great opportunity for us to connect with our readers.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (westofmars) | 16 comments I'm a friend of Thomma Lyn's. A writer (The Demo Tapes: Year 1) and blogger. I have two blogs: the Meet and Greet is my author's blog, but I think every writer here will be interested in my Win a Book blog. I post links to giveaways, guest blog posts, and interviews. I also like to include news of book signings/author appearances/convention-type gatherings where authors can connect with readers.

I'm self-pubbed for a variety of reasons (one of which is that conventional publishing lists four reasons why The Demo Tapes won't sell, so of course I'm making a profit!), but am a huge fan of BOOKS. Doesn't matter how they get into a reader's hands. What matters is that they get there. With so many good writers losing contracts due to what's perceived as poor sales, I wanted to be the difference in this problem.

Glad to be part of things here (thanks again, TL!) and hopefully Win a Book can help you guys get the word out about yourselves.

message 7: by D.B. (last edited Jun 27, 2009 11:33AM) (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Hi All,

I am D.B. Pacini, a California songwriter/vocalist, is the author of two novels, numerous short stories, and poetry. My youth/YA fantasy novel, THE LOOSE END OF THE RAINBOW, the first novel in my Universal Knights Trilogy, was published by Singing Moon Press in March, 2009.

My contemporary/mainstream novel, EMMA'S LOVE LETTERS, is seeking publication. I am currently writing my third novel, the second in my Universal Knights Trilogy. I also volunteer as a writing mentor to teen and young adult writers.

Here is a link to a free creative artists community that I host. If you are interested in joining please send me an email and I will tell you what I need for your profile. http://www.astarrynightproductions.co...

D.B. Pacini
Email: Pacini.Novelist@gmail.com

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Hi Susan and D.B.,

So glad to have both of you here! Thanks so much for offering information about your blogs and sites. This is so exciting!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Gottfried (westofmars) | 16 comments Okay, since this is the Getting Started thread, I just noticed the group picture -- that's Double Arch! That's one of my favorites in the park.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Such a breathtaking park! I had lots of great hikes there!

message 11: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 19 comments Taylor,

Thanks for the invite. The one suggestion I have is to include a folder where authors can mention their books or share any promotions that they are having with the group.

message 12: by Taylor (last edited Jul 19, 2009 11:08AM) (new)

Great suggestion, Kevis! Could you guide me a bit more on how to set this up? I'm still very new at all this.

message 13: by Kevis (last edited Jul 25, 2009 02:19PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 19 comments Taylor,

If I had seen this post sooner I would have responded more quickly. Since I haven't created a group thread, I'm not familiar with the technical ins and outs of creating folders and subcategories for the group. But my recommendation to you would be to send a message to the moderator of one of the other groups and inquire how to go about creating new folders for the group. I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you how to introduce new categories in the group thread, including the one I mentioned above. Hope that helps a little.

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Thanks Kevis.