Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > Newbie - warning - Daft Question Alert...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I was just wondering how you choose which books to read? is it one per month or as many as you can fit in? do you give them marks out of 5 or 10 or anything?...please humour me and tell me a little bit about how it all works.

Ally

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ally, you're talking about Club reads, right? Early in the month, Tera opens a thread for nominations for the month after next. (Next month we'll be deciding upon Septembers reads.) The nominations stay open for a set number of days or until there are 12 nominations, whichever comes first, a person can nominate only one book per month. Tera puts the nominations on a club poll, and they are voted upon. Each person can vote once, the top two vote getters are the month's reads. Topmost vote-getter is read and discussed first, but topics are available for as long as anyone wants to talk about the book. Usually the person who does the nominating leads the discussion, but Tera has said she or Holli would do it if the person was truly reluctant.

Ally, we have terrific moderators and I'm so glad they've been willing to take this on and they do a terrific job. I've been a member a relatively short time, but hope to be here a good long time.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli Great explanation Elizabeth! Did that help you out Allhug?

message 4: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) Yes thanks - I'm finding my way around ok now - I found the polls page and had a look and have been posting a couple of things in the discussions forums. Everyone is so friendly!

I'm amazed at how only two people manage to moderate this forum - theres a lot going on! You must be two angels!

Ally

message 5: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) If it's really, really quiet, you can hear the flutter of their wings! :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I don't know how they do it either. They both are amazing.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh you guys are sweet! I handle more of the social side and Tera handles the intelligent side, it works well for us! LOL

Tera is the angel though...she amazes me!

Elizabeth (Alaska) Don't sell yourself short, Holli.

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh I'm not at all but Tera really does do quite a bit to make this group perfect. I really respect her and how she thinks. :)