What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

A Dog's Head
This topic is about A Dog's Head
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Novel I read aroun d 1970 about a man with a dog's head whose father was a dog and whose mother was human [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) I hope you can help me find a book I read around 1970 that is about a man with a dog's head whose mother was human and whose father was a dog. The cover had a color cartoon-like drawing of a dapper gentleman in a suit with a dog's head wearing a bowler hat and I think he had a walking stick. I thought the title was "Doghead" or "Dogshead", but I can't find it in Worldcat. It might have been Young Adult fiction, as I would have been 10-12 years old or so when I read it.

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) Yes, I believe that "A Dog's Head" is the book, since it was originally published in the early 1950's. Thank you, Jenny. I will place it in the Solved category right away. Thank you for your prompt response.

message 4: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 550 comments You are welcome. :) Happy reading.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
I just read this and actually both his parents are human.

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) I saw the original cover of the book and I remember it very well. I guess I got mixed up about the parentage. I think there was a part of the book that tried to explain how he might have been born with a dog's head? Maybe his mother had a fling with a dog? You just read it, Lobstergirl, so your memory about the book would be fresh. Did you like the book, Lobstergirl? (By the way, I really like your profile picure!) -- Debbie

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Thanks, Debbie. It was okay - I wouldn't say I loved it or hated it. But I saw it at the library and with that nutty cover, I had to read it. Actually there is no dog sex...no one can figure out how he is born with a dog's head (I think maybe the father wonders aloud to the mother if something...questionable...happened - and she's so upset he drops the subject). And then the book drops the subject too and the dog-headed boy just goes on with his life and grows up.

Debra B. (ipreferdebbieinsteadofdebra) Thanks for the additional info, Lobstergirl.

message 9: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Dec 01, 2013 05:08AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Thanks, Debbie. It was okay - I wouldn't say I loved it or hated it. But I saw it at the library and with that nutty cover, I had to read it. Actually there is no dog sex...no one can figure out..."

Reminds me of when I was a teen and visiting a friend of my mothers house and while they were chatting I was told I could go read something from her bookshelf. I took out this strange book about a woman while pregnant has a connection (no not like THAT) with a horse during her pregnancy and then the child was born with a horses head. :0

It was very freaky. Dont remember the title or author...and not quite sure I care to find out.It was traumatic.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Dog's Head (other topics)