Sarah Dessen Book Club discussion

Lock and Key
This topic is about Lock and Key
Lock & Key Booktalk

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Heather (bookables) | 16 comments Mod
Here will talk all things Lock & Key!

I am almost done with the book & I am LOVING it! Def. one of my favorites! I really love the simplicity of this book and the family dynamic!

What about you guys?

Sarah Murray  (everyoneneedsabooknook) I really liked the book but is it just me or did you want it to be longer? I really enjoyed it but it ended and I felt like I wanted more.

message 3: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole (ntress24) | 3 comments I'm going to have to check this book out from my schools library because I only own the moon and more and along for the ride.

Heather when you run out of Sarah dessen books are you just going to cycle through them again or read other contemporary books?

I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?

message 5: by Fernando (new)

Fernando | 1 comments Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

Susane Collasant
Sarah Ockler

message 6: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole (ntress24) | 3 comments Ok i was confused and if I find a author I will let you know heather:)

message 7: by Mina (new)

Mina Kwong (mkwong427) Nicholas Sparks!

message 8: by Mina (new)

Mina Kwong (mkwong427) The Notebook, The Wedding, Dear John, The Guardians... many good ones! ;)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

John Green! I've already read all his work but I would love to reread(:

message 10: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (cbookbabblings) Maybe you should change the name of the group to the Bookables Book Club. :)

Jordan Monroe | 1 comments Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

David Levithan has a lot of stand a lone books too!

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Hayes (ahayes) | 1 comments Jodi Picoult

Devin (devinlindseyx3) This is one of my favorites by Sarah Dessen (the other being Dreamland). I do wish the story had lasted longer because I felt like it just kind of ended. But it is definitely a 5 out of 5 stars book!

Brittany (bookishbrittany) | 2 comments I am not a huge fan of contemporary YA but I thought I would give this a shot and I am glad I did. I like Lock and Key so far, I mean I have some minor nitpicky things but that's because I am very particular. Thanks for the invite Heather. I would recommend John Green for stand alone books. I own all of his books but have only read TFIOS. And please PLEASE!! No Nicholas Sparks! Sorry not a fan... I second though David Leviathan and Jodi Picoult I have heard great things about both.

message 15: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandyf349) | 1 comments Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

John Green would be great!

Bernadette Aucoin (godblessthenightowls) | 11 comments Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

Deb Caletti!

message 17: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Gonzales Cooper | 3 comments Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

I would like to read John Green too!

Ycaron96 | 1 comments I really liked this book I remember it being the first Sara Dessen book I read. I love the family dynamics and the relationship in the book. I wish the ending could of been longer.

message 19: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia Franco | 2 comments John Green!

message 20: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia Franco | 2 comments Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

Shana Czzowitz | 3 comments Nicholas sparks!! Or you should do a vote of which author we should do next!! :)

message 22: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

A.S. King

message 23: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) I just joined a few weeks ago, and its funny that this is the first book I would be joining in--I bought this book not too long ago at a used bookstore! Yay me! I will try to fit it in this month!

message 24: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane Bane (navy-j) Kristin Hannah!! Her books are an emotional joy ride.

Shana Czzowitz | 3 comments I came up with a bunch of different authors just for some ideas if you wanna do the voting thing, John green, James Patterson, Emily griffin, Nicholas sparks, Meg Cabot, Laurie Anderson, Ellen Hopkins, Stephen king, Jodi picoult. I think it would be fun to vote! :)

message 26: by Elle (last edited Dec 04, 2013 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elle Wow a lot of people already commenting that they finished Lock and Key, very different from last month. I have to say I'm going through it pretty fast without really trying (I've mostly been reading it on the short drive on the bus and I'm already on page 100). I'm liking it so far. I can't wait to hear more about Cora's life and see a confrontation between Cora and Ruby (and maybe their mom? That would be awesome!)

(And maybe you can make a separate topic about the new author pick Heather? Nobody is talking about Lock & Key anymore :P. I would vote for Sparks btw, his books would be perfect for this).

How is everyone enjoying Lock & Key?
I finished it & I LOVED IT!

what about everyone else?

message 28: by Karina (new)

Karina Bitman | 1 comments Hey! Does anyone know if I can get this book for free on a kindle?

Thanks!

xo

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim | 3 comments I had to order Lock & Key in the local bookstore. Unfortunatly it's still not in, meaning I have to wait a bit longer. I think I will be able to pick it up on monday and when I do, I'll start reading it a.s.a.p. I am really looking forward to it.

For authors with standalone books... I don't know. Only standalones I own are by Jane Austen. ^^

So any author will do for me, will be my first time reading their work, no matter who is chosen. ;)

message 30: by Elle (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elle I just finished it, I really liked it! My only complaint is that the Nate-storyline ended a bit abruptly.

message 31: by Patricia (new) - added it

Patricia (pattxoxo) John Green or Nicholas Sparks

Deirdre Metcalf I just finished. I really love the storyline!! I wish it could have gone on longer. I really like how Barbara Starr, the character from the other book, made a cameo. :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished it and it just really touched me. It "open my eyes" on what I can do in the future. I think I really adore Jamie and his positive attitude XD
My review is up on http://elfie-101.tumblr.com/

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments I just got the book from the library and I'm gonna start it soon :)

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments Actually I don't really think I'm ready to read these books. I don't think they're for me yet so ill wait to read them when I'm older. I think I would enjoy them much more when I'm in high school at least.

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 4 comments If you guys think it would be appropriate for a 12 year old plz let me know. I was kind of excited to join a good reads book club and this seemed like a good one but I'm not sure the books are appropriate. Can anyone tell me?

message 37: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny (juliababyjen) From what I know of Sarah Dessan's books, Ashley, I would say no, you are probably not ready for them yet :)

Bernadette Aucoin (godblessthenightowls) | 11 comments Ashley, I read Lock and Key for the first time when I was 12 almost 13. I would just check with your parents and have them skim the pages. See what they think.

Shana Czzowitz | 3 comments I don't think it's inappropriate?

Catherine (ilikebeinganerd) | 1 comments One of my favorites! Had to borrow from a friend because I lost my original copy. :( Such a simplistic novel, and very enjoyable!

Katie (katieshuffle) I read Lock and Key a long time ago and I honestly can't remember anything from it so I am excited to read it again. I made sure to add it to my tbr video this month. http://youtu.be/XTaZenebbTE

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim | 3 comments I finally got my copy!

A bit late, but it is still December, so better late than never. ;P

I started reading right away. ^^ I really like the writing style. And the story, so far. It made a good first impression.
I like Ruby's brother-in-law, he seems very nice.

Anywayz, I will keep on reading and I am planning to write a review on Goodreads when I have finished it. :)

Bernadette Aucoin (godblessthenightowls) | 11 comments I finished Lock and Key last night and I think I like it even more than I did when I originally read it. I love the family dynamic and how the romance took a back seat to it. I loved everything about. Nate was adorable. Ruby was at times aggravating, but overall had a tremendous amount of character growth. Cora was such a great character and was probably my favorite. Jamie was super sweet and I loved that he took Ruby in without a question. Lock and Key is probably my favorite Sarah Dessen book.

Vienna (itsabooksworld) I LOVED THIS BOOK! This will be in my memory for a long time and it's now one of my favorite books! I'm curious for the other books of Sarah Dessen.

Vienna (itsabooksworld) Heather (Bookables) wrote: "I will pick another author that doesn't really have a series but several stand alones. Anybody have any authors in mind?"

Nicholas Sparks! Even tough I don't think it's so nice for teenagers, because of all the adult storylines. But I want to read those, and I already loveeeeeeeeeeeeed A Walk To Remember.

message 46: by Nay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nay Denise (naydenise) This was my first Sarah Dessen book and Contemporary novel. I was highly intrigued and enjoyes the novel. Bags are under my eyes because I could not stop reading. This novel was definitely powerful and I could relate on a few levels to how Cora and Ruby felt. Poor Nate...his parents are assholes (excuse my french)! Heather was sweet to Ruby as an ex girlfriend to Nate and Olivia was a just a funny, outgoing character. I loved Jamie and his need to help Cora and Ruby know what it's like to celebrate the holidays. Roscoe was absolutely cute, but scared of kitchen appliances?! That definitely made me laugh.

Family was definitely the key and theme in this novel and I must say -- it definitely has me thinking about my own family and emotions. Definitely a great read and I plan to read a lot more of Sarah Dessen's books. Excited for the next book!

message 47: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Christine (thebooknivore) | 7 comments I just finished Lock and Key and I think it was absolutely amazing! It was a little slow at first but it picked up quickly and I loved every moment of it. I like how the family dynamics and her asking everyone what their view of family was just great and beautiful because everyone really does have a different interpretation of what family means. I love Nate's character though. He just seems like the guy who has it good popular and everything but really he's got a lot more that he hides and I think that that is great. I wasn't fond though when Ruby just gave up on trying to help his, I don't think that she should have ever given up but I guess that's life and sometimes you can't find a way to help and that makes sense. But I am glad that when she went to clear her head during her Calc test and thought about that apartment and how that led to finding Nate was amazing. I laughed and I smiled and I cried while reading this. It was definitely a favorite Sarah Dessen book of mine.
Can't wait to find out which book is next!

C_menasian I haven't finished but it is really good so far

C_menasian Just finished it great book I thought the beginning was a little slow but by the middle I couldn't put it down

message 50: by juli (new) - rated it 3 stars

juli (julianareads) | 1 comments Just finished Lock & Key(finally)! I thought it was great, this was my first Sarah Dessen read, and I got so much more than I was expecting. I really loved the ending which I found very realistic. And the romance was adorable, as were Cora & Jamie.

P.S. I think Nicholas Sparks would be a great author, although he may have books about adult romances, nonetheless they are very interesting! And I would love to have an excuse to reread The Last song for like the 8th time!

« previous 1