The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
Books To Screen > Hobbit 2 ~ Desolation of Smaug Movie

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
- Bilbo enters Smaug's lair! http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...

Leyah (serferrant) | 291 comments So excited for it!

Izzy (izzybookholics) *squeals*

Eyehavenofilter | 12 comments Ok so...Barring the appearance of a female elf (who doesn't exist in the book) but adds another level to the story that is very appealing, and the similarities to the scenes in Harry Potter where Harry is asked several times, by Dumbeldore " Is there anything you'd like to tell me." { which goes to show that copyright laws are infringed upon daily}, and the amazing scene stealing voice of Cumberbitch ah Cumberbatch... This was so much fun... I gasped, screamed, and yelled out loud , along with everyone else in the entire audience! Fell in love all over again with this story, and, and wished I lived in this fantastical world... With my bow and arrows...!

message 5: by Lady Poppy (new) - added it

Lady Poppy | 367 comments I'm so excited to see this one! I've heard from a lot of people that it is better than the first half.

talltyrion | 708 comments I saw it yesterday, and so help me, I have people to kill. Two actors give me a heart crushing cliffhanger of a finale in which I must wait two years for the next one, and then the same two actors go and do it AGAIN.

Eyehavenofilter | 12 comments This just confirms it...I'm not too tall!

johanna (johannad_m) WordlesslyAmazed03 wrote: "I saw it yesterday, and so help me, I have people to kill. Two actors give me a heart crushing cliffhanger of a finale in which I must wait two years for the next one, and then the same two actors ..."

Hahaaha.

talltyrion | 708 comments IT WAS EMOTIONALLY DAMAGING, I TELL YOU

message 10: by Aurora, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aurora | 994 comments Mod
I think the Hobbit movies are absolutely brilliant. I have read the book, and loved it. Now I'm so happy that the movies are amazing too. :D

Yes, I support Kili and Tauriel (Kiriel? Tauli?). There was a elf/human relationship in LOTR, why not elf/dwarf? I found it funny how they made Kili quite attractive so that people would ship the two. I didn't even know dwarves could be attractive :/ Proved wrong :D

But whatever floated the casters and scriptwriters boats ended up floating mine too. So I love it.

I don't even know what to feel about this. I got to watch Desolation of Smaug in 3D at the cinemas (My first 3D movie), and oh my gosh, I will torture every friend I have until they have seen all LOTR movies including the Hobbit Part 1 and 2. None of them have seen any of them and I feel so alone. 3

Autumn | 4 comments I'll be that one person... I was not okay with this movie. I get the whole, let's add the dwarf/elf thing but... really? Was it necessary. Why wasn't Kili there? What are they doing screwing with that storyline and gods. Tolkien had limited romance because his stories were not about romance. Romance happened, but when it happened it was based on so much more than physical attraction. Which... I saw a lot more of than anything else with those two. I honestly don't think tolkien would have approved. Then the scene with the dragon and the furnace - I'm almost positive was stolen from The Dwarves by Markus Heitz. I actually made myself fall asleep at that part so that I didn't begin screaming in the middle of the theater with everyone around.

BUT. I loved how much depth is added to the Legolas/Gimli friendship in LOTR by them adding in that elf and his dwarf-hatred. I love and respect that decision so much. That enhanced the story ten-fold in my opinion.

Also: The stupid spider and elf scene. i wanted to cry. The whole woods thing, really. They took Bilbo's thunder and just... *sigh*.

The pacing was better than the first one but I might have to skip out on the third one for fear of attacking the movie screen in further upsetedness. Because that is now a word.

message 12: by L (new) - rated it 5 stars

L | 1252 comments I have to agree with Autumn that i did not like Kili's relationship with an Elf, and concidering Tolkien's book i thought it was not necessary (and a bit out of place).

Good PJ film, but not quite as i envisaged!

Eyehavenofilter | 12 comments Cumberbatch's voice makes me so weak in the knees.... I just crumble when I hear it, and when it's enhanced as it is in this movie...l was literally on the freakin' floor, in a puddle of tears and sweat mumbling something incoherently similar to " I will do whatever you want... Or some such nonsense."

johanna (johannad_m) Autumn wrote: "I'll be that one person... I was not okay with this movie. I get the whole, let's add the dwarf/elf thing but... really? Was it necessary. Why wasn't Kili there? What are they doing screwing with t..."

Agreed:) Except that last bit. Knowing me I'll go and see it anyway, even if it disappoints me.