The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Books To Screen > The Hunger Games ~ Mockingjay Movie

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
- A look into Mockingjay scenes shot so far: http://www.hypable.com/2013/11/25/jen...

- Costumes and more: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1718...

- Movie stills so far: http://mockingjay.net/2013/10/01/jenn...

message 2: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I'm so excited for this movie (or the 2 movies, I guess). However, I really didn't like the book so I'm not sure if I'll like the movie.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Yeah, my issue isn't just there though.

message 4: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments I think that, no matter if you liked or disliked the book, the movies will be really good. They did such a fantastic job on catching fire, and I'm guessing (and hoping) they will be as good, if not better.

message 5: by Lady Poppy (new)

Lady Poppy | 367 comments Hmm... True. I think their view was kind of interesting, allowing an outside look that you couldn't see while reading. That way, if you want to find out about and get to know the characters, you have to read the books :p

message 6: by Aurora, Co-Moderator (new)

Aurora | 994 comments Mod
It was strange how the books and movies went for me.
I loved book one, sort of loved book 2 and hated book 3.
Now with the movies, I thought movie 1 was terrible and movie 2 was amazing. I can't wait for Mockingjay, I hope I like it better than the book :/

message 7: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Aurora wrote: "It was strange how the books and movies went for me.
I loved book one, sort of loved book 2 and hated book 3.
Now with the movies, I thought movie 1 was terrible and movie 2 was amazing. I can't w..."

Same here - I disliked the books as they went on, but the movies have gradually become better. Fingers-crossed for #3 :D

message 8: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

H99 wrote: "Aww, why, Booknut? I usually dislike a book and YOU rate it 5 stars... :( And you rated this book 5 stars... :/"

My ratings aren't based purely on personal emotions, because that would be slightly unfair. I have two parts to my review rating process - the text itself, and the response.

This book was a 4.8 to me (which rounds up to 5 on GR, seeing as there's no half/quarter stars!). The text itself was almost faultless. I mean, the author is a very gifted writer. The book was structured well, the plot was great, there were some awesome descriptions and the whole thing was vivid.

So the book was a 4.9/5 based on a constructive/analytical point of view.

The other half of the rating is where audience response comes in. Did the book hook me in? Was I bored at all? Did the plot flow for me? Did I like the way the characters developed?

The response half of the rating involves 'I'. It's about my reaction/my liking or disliking the story and its components.

I did not like book #2 in the series as much as the first one. Why? I don't know. But the first one was just so...flawless. To me, it was the author's best work, probably because it didn't seem to be trying so hard to put out that 'Katniss the Saviour' image.

Book #3, the ending was what dropped the rating. I give it a 4.8 because to me the end was too hurried, in my opinion. There's (view spoiler) I wish the ending had been a little more concise. But that's just my opinion, again.

This is why I have a review blog - because I dislike the GR rating of everything having to be whole stars. With most of my reviews, I give the specific rating (e.g. 4.8) on my blog, whilst either rounding the number up or down to make it a full star on GR.