The Mortal Instruments {Roleplay} discussion

New York > Taki's

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by MOVED - CHECK BIO, Head Moderator of Awesomeness (new)

MOVED - CHECK BIO (izzylightfleur) | 304 comments Mod

message 2: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 02, 2013 08:15PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Outside, next to the Ifrit bodyguard whose's harsh red colour was often mistaken for a stop sign (which caused nearly half of the traffic confusion in New York), a sign spelled out the foods of choice. It was enchanted by warlocks to be available in any language visually understood:

This Downworlder lounge hosts a medley of interesting dishes---all completely safe for your dietary restrictions.

The bodyguards are there to keep fights from braking out between the various demonic and angelic types.

A body lay in the center of Taki's Diner. Frigid fingers, blond corkscrew curls and a silhouette of fluids which poured grotesquely into the tile floor.

She had no name. A young thing bellow the age of twelve, she'd died screaming, her eyes open to the edges of insanity.

She wasn't even twelve.

"So tell me. Why is there a little girl in the middle of your floor?" Magnus asked the server, his voice chilly, his stance like a totem, ecompassing the whole room.

"W-we don't know, High Warlock Bane, sir," she answered, "It's not any of the vampires."

"She isn't one of the vampires or it wasn't the vampires who did it?" It was difficult to tell what she was with the pallid colour of her now bloodless face.

Instead of waiting for an answer, he knelt next to the girl, thumbing her pulse. As he assumed, there was none. He then felt her forehead, a streak of blue light creating a halo around her head. He checked under her lip for fangs or fairy teeth but his magic had answered first.

"She's a mundane."

message 3: by Queen of The Moon (last edited Dec 05, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

Queen of The Moon Emily walked into Takis and grabbed a booth in the back. She ordered a simple order of pancakes and an apple juice as she watched the high warlock, Magnus Bane, bending over the small girl. She had been told what had happened but needed more information, so she would wait until she could question him.

message 4: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 06, 2013 09:26PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "You know," The Warlock said, helpfully to no one in particular but the whole diner was looking directly at her and chuckling nervously to themselves, staring like her next move indented their futures, "Most Nephilim would have slammed we Downworlders shoulders first into walls by now. I am personally glad you're the pacifist." said the Warlock, a-matter-of-factly.

Queen of The Moon "I tend not to have problems with Downworlders as long as they don't try to threaten me or kill people that I love" Emily shrugged.

message 6: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 07:18PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "We've hit an impasse," said he fluidly getting to his feet, "You're obviously not ready to investigate this death and I don't see how it's my problem if you're not going to investigate." A fairy handed him his coat and he smiled in thanks, the blood now mysteriously vanished from his bejeweled hands.

The warlock was taller than most men and once he was on his feet, the already middle heighted fairies dwarfed comically. His skin was golden, shining too perfectly in such bad diner lighting while his teeth gleamed white. Everything about him was almost fake but fake wasn't what made the Warlock shine.

message 7: by Queen of The Moon (last edited Dec 05, 2013 04:51PM) (new)

Queen of The Moon "I will investigate it. Why else would I be here? I just like to ask questions first. So if you would like to sit I will begin my questioning" Emily shrugged and motioned to the seat across from her.

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Who they should have been contacting was Tessa Gray. With her uncanny ability to see the past, recently or other, her foresight proved to end nearly any murder case. True or not, this Warlock had long made a conscious decision not to contact her for anything potentially painful. She was such a fragile thing.

From somewhere in the ceiling tiles, Sara Bareilles played unfittingly down to Earth. This, after all, was no coffee shop. This was a meeting with the local High Warlock about that rust covered carcass lying off in the middle of busy Downworld.

The Warlock gave rest to his stand in the booth across from Emily, all pompous and mirthful gaze. Without even looking beside him, he vaguely moved his fingers, the body bag zipping by an invisible hand.

He looked exasperated to be here but put on quite a show to hide it from her.

"High Warlock Bane," Here to work with you; at your service; to honour the Clave... No, that won't do, much too obedient. Muted by the search for something witty and iron cast to add, he barely heard her when she spoke next.

Queen of The Moon The warlock seemed to be lost in his own thoughts so she cleared her throat to get his attention. "Who found her and when?" she asked

message 10: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 07, 2013 11:14AM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments How in the world could she eat? The place reeked death and entrails. Deciding not to dwell on that, he took care of his nails, buffing them clean. Frowning slightly when he noticed an oval of flesh colour among all purple glittery. Oh, sweet sorrow, he thought, already lamenting.

Emily stared at him like 'what's the verdict'. Magnus raised his eyebrows and responded with a look that said 'What's the game plan?".

Magnus leaned in, "Thirty minutes ago, her body was pushed in the door and she slammed forth onto tile. No one saw the culprit," he waved his hand airily, "I checked the minds of those who did."

The eavesdropping diner made strangled sounds in chorus which he ignored fondly.

All this law man's jargon was biting at his nails. Or maybe that was just the magic. Magic always ruined good manicures.

"The probable cause would be a vampire but she has no bites," he said, "Whoever did this was planting an exposition for everyone — Mundane bashing is so very rare," he purred.

This wasn't the Wild West, people didn't push their dead into saloons, anymore (thank God, Magnus hated those times, although it did make interesting dinner theatre. Their clothing, however, was so bland and brown in every shade. Even the corsets lacked feminine charm and by a rule, men weren't supposed to wear them so where did that go wrong?).

Back to the topic, mundie bashing affected everyone. The Downworlders were blamed first, the Nephilim generally lunged into the case heavily armed, the Downworlders went after each other's races (no need for help there), the mundanes broadcasted the missing child report on World Scale and the mundanes who knew Nephilim craned and catapulted into hysteria. All the while, the demon threat became second.

"Hmm, I should add that she's covered in cult circles from the neck down."

Queen of The Moon "Cult circles. That's rather interesting, I haven't seen that since, well since 2007 on a case in Japan. Rather nasty business that one was" she mused and when her pancakes arrived she cut into them, though she didn't take a single bite. She knew what everyone in here was thinking, that she would make a quick arrest of one of them just to get it over with and pushed under the rug.

They were very wrong. She did not take this lightly, especially now that she knew about her cult activities. It was rather odd considering her age, but children were more susceptible to the lure of dark arts and such, demon worship and all that nonsense without even realizing what they were doing could be dangerous over half the time.

"Could you trace any magic? Either of her own use of of someone else's that had rubbed off on her? Maybe demonic possession anything that could tell me where she came from and who she was with, or what she was doing?" she asked taking a sip of her apple juice. She had only been assigned this case because no one else was at the institute when the call had come in. She had thought it under her pay grade, but perhaps with her past dealings with cult involvement she was the perfect person. She just hope Magnus was going to be helpful.

message 12: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 07, 2013 11:48AM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "Not last I checked. She's completely mundane, not a demonic trace on her, Downworlder or other," He said mildly, wondering when cult circles weren't nasty business. She clearly knew her stuff.

He froze at a text and gave Emily a once over after reading it, trying to distinguish which part was serious.
"I'm afraid dawn is coming and any more sacrifices such as these being tossed in Downworlder territory might make the leads a little clearer," said Magnus, irritation and disgust scratching his tone, "This one was eight year old," nearly exactly a hundred times younger then his glorious self, "There are no signs of her parents looking for her which tells me," he pointed towards Emily with a swirling finger, "You do the math," he folded his glittery phone, feeling like the metaphorical kettle was heating exponentially.

Magnus hated these kinds of cases with several levels of passion, all of which narrowed to teeth gritting and occasional blow ups. Mundanes were not his problem. He didn't want them around. He already had and allergy to favours. If they figured out that everything could be cured by magic he would personally go off on the streets and wipe their minds blanker than an empty chalk board.

Queen of The Moon Emily sighed and rubbed her face. That didn't make any sense, if she was in a cult and killed by who knows who. If she had some hints of magic then this would have helped her to track down whoever it was and find out why. "That makes no sense. Okay so then if it wasn't a vampire, and she has cult circles maybe it was another warlock?" she asked him wondering if he had heard anything about a new warlock in town.

message 14: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Jan 26, 2014 07:54PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "The drawing are complete gibberish," he said, "FYI, don't get your curses off websites. Chances are it's dead wrong." once they started snooping through things banned by the Catholic Church, then they had reasons to fear but for now, the mundanes didn't know the first thing about magic.

The problem was, they knew important locations of Downworld.

Queen of The Moon "What about curses off websites? The last time I dealt with cultists it wasn't pretty. They actually managed to summon a minor demon. Ravaged the whole entire downtown, 12 block radius, it was bad" she told him giving him a stern look.

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Nasty stuff.

Examining his nails, he said, "They made like Sam and Dean and consulted the Internet," Magnus showed her his phone, scrolling down on a site all about symbols with his thumb. The so called 'symbols' were wonky, unfitting and completely faulty to any language known to the Invisible World. The comparisons were in his photos, her flesh pulsed with black marks pained on.

Luckily, they were working with newbies. Unfortunately, those mundane newby cults were also somehow aware of Taki's Diner and were willing to kill their own children in sacrifice to the diner gods.

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((Sorry, I really don't have time to post right now.))

Queen of The Moon ((it's cool))
Emily had never understood mundanes, they always rubbed her the wrong way, thinking they were superior and all that.

message 19: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 07:40PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments His pupils had become needle shaped from looking at the light fixture too long.

"Look, sweetie," he rested his chin on the back of his hand, pupils filling for a moment, "I don't have time for this right now. Would you mind putting your name on a card and I'll catch up on this if we find more evidence," His tone was overly sweet, like he was speaking to a five year old, asserting dominance.

It was suddenly apparent that the Warlock was keeping her at arms length this whole time only so he could dump her pain free when he got the chance.

Queen of The Moon Emily narrowed her eyes at him. "Why would I do that?" she asked just as sweetly though her eyes were murdering him. She was not going to be talked down to like she was some incompetent mundane. "Would you like me to drag you back to the slave for questioning?" she asked curiously. She wasn't really threatening him, just curious.

message 21: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:10PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments The fourth amendment (The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized) didn't exist in Shadowhunter law.

Grimacing at her saccharine tone he laughed soundlessly, the corner of his lip somewhere between a smile and lingering dismay.

"That won't be necessary, nephilim," said Magnus, smoothing his hand over the table, "We all know that this is way bellow your pay check."

"Call it what you want but we're going to provide the body to the mundane police, they'll file a report and we'll wash our hands of it as if it was big misunderstanding anyway. I just want to go home early."

Queen of The Moon Emily considered this for a moment and sighed. "I suppose that would be the most appropriate thing to do. On the condition that you swear on whatever it is you believe in that there isn't a single trace of anything besides mundane on her" Emily made it as clear as she possibly could.

Queen of The Moon Emily nodded and realized that he didn't seem afraid of her. "You've gotten pretty comfortable in your position of working with is haven't you?" she commented.

message 24: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:27PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((Gah! I accidently deleted my post! [Not that it was good or anything, writers block n'all.] Here.))

To his credit, he didn't fidget under her scornful gaze. Like a duck unafraid of the hands that fed it, Magnus clearly spent too much time around Shadowhunters to be too uncomfortable. It was particularly dangerous for ancient, powerful Downworlders to have a superiority complex over Shadowhunters.

"It's already done for us."

Fortunately, Magnus didn't look like much so the chances of him being any more powerful than the Warlocks met in the past was feeble.

Emily nodded and realized that he didn't seem afraid of her. "You've gotten pretty comfortable in your position of working with is haven't you?" she commented.

"Oh, you have no idea," he grinned like a maniac. "I know Shadowhunters from the feet up. Some better than others."

Queen of The Moon "Like your previous boyfriend?" she asked lifting an eyebrow. She had heard all about their little outing before the big battle where Shadowhunters were linked with downworlders. It was rather interesting to say the least.

message 26: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:29PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((I haven't read that book yet!))

Eyes flashing and ignoring her comment outright, he got to his feet, "Alas, I am overcome with grief at this terrible murder and must go cry into a pillow at home."

But his eyes said 'follow me, and die'.

Queen of The Moon ((What!! How have you not read the book but are playing a pivotal member!!))

Queen of The Moon "I guess you don't want my name anymore" she shrugged and started to eat her pancakes and drink her juice. She didn't have a problem with him leaving, she was poking at things better left untouched.

message 29: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:45PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((And I'm a mod.
I know everything about it (who, what, where, when, how, jealousy plots, Maureen, who is Will? That jazz. Immortality a dozen.) BUT I need to get my hands on the book and my library, which is French, doesn't have it.
You're right, though. In the roleplay, I was hoping to stop it at a certain time because everyone's in a different place in the series. We don't even know the ending yet. Someone's boyfriend is going to die and personally I think Alec is pretty high on that secondary character death list.
I really am completely lost on where this roleplay is and what was meant to be brought to the roleplay. I chose a pivotal character because he makes things less awkward, he's a someone who grows and changes and has an endless set of resources and sets boundaries in Downworld, like a key between both but so far, in all my busyness, I've done a jaded job of it.

Why do I put myself in these situations? Um... I'll put him on pause if you want. I feel like I'm doing one quarter of the job that I could actually do with this character due to insecurity on who he is.
Do you have any ideas?))

Queen of The Moon ((Wow. Man okay that sucks. I have no idea how to help. I'm so sorry that I ruined part of it for you))

message 31: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:51PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Arianna wrote: ""I guess you don't want my name anymore" she shrugged and started to eat her pancakes and drink her juice. She didn't have a problem with him leaving, she was poking at things better left untouched."

"If you're going to pry about my love life, of course," he said but snapped a pen into existence. It had glitter encrusted on all of its planes, the existential equivilant of the disco era. "But that shouldn't let my personal feelings get in the way of business."

Extending the writing implement and card with the inside of his wrist showing. On it, the vague remembrance of a mark once snaked.

message 32: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 08:49PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Arianna wrote: "((Wow. Man okay that sucks. I have no idea how to help. I'm so sorry that I ruined part of it for you))"

((Ruined that part for me? No, no. On the contrary, I've known it for months.))

Queen of The Moon Emily took the card and elegantly wrote her name and phone number on it. 'Emily Thorne (417)252-6943' She handed it back to him and shrugged. "Wasn't prying, just making an observation" she told him.

message 34: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 09:02PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments The card wavered out of existence along with the pen. Mere parlour tricks for the crowd around.
Magnus gave her a glittery wink, "Same difference," and strided out to leave her to her pancakes. The rest was left to the backup paramedics.

One of the fairy women came to refill Emily's cup. In the time of pouring, her lip turned down and she said, "The High Warlock hasn't been taking clients for the past three months or left his apartment for essentials. He's only done the bare minimum needed to keep his rank. I'm afraid he won't be here for much longer."

Queen of The Moon "Why is that?" Emily asked intrigued watching him leave.

message 36: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 09:14PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "A man can't live on magic alone," she said, quietly, "It was impressive that he seduced a Nephilim, yes. A feat well polished and hilarious. It is weak how he copes with the loss. It is almost as if he did care. Indeed, such a waste."

"Do not worry," The waitress said suddenly, "We not out of juice. There is still cranberry."

Queen of The Moon "Why shouldn't he have cared?" Emily asked suddenly disgusted with the waitress. "Just get me water" she said harshly, glaring.

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments "He owes his magic to us. We are his charge. Does the law refuse to punish? Does a government refuse to govern?" She left, bringing back a jug of water with lemons.

Queen of The Moon "Yet I am sure that you believe that if he was with anyone else it would be perfectly acceptable. Downworlders are only allowed with downworlders and Shadowhunters with Shadowhunters" she glared more, wishing the girl would fall dead before her. Her hand was laying on her thigh, where her daggers were strapped.

Queen of The Moon ((Lol I kind of want Emily to stop by his place))

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments The girl frayed a bit at the motion and nearly tipped the water to its fullest. "D-d-do not use those," her stutter like a hummingbird, "We are peaceful. This is peaceful. The body, I have not killed. Fault is not mine."

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Arianna wrote: "((Lol I kind of want Emily to stop by his place))"

((Pfft, oh yeah, let's go bother a severely depressed warlock gorging himself on Chinese food. Sounds like a great plan. XD))

Queen of The Moon "I never said you killed anyone. Just bring me my ticket please" she sighed and took the water, pouring herself some.

Queen of The Moon ((It's an amazing plan =P))

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments Dependent on good tips, the little waitress brought twice as many mints to the table.

((*Insert picture of a polar bear face-palming*. Alright, but with what purpose? It's nice to know a little where this is headed. ^-^))

Queen of The Moon ((She is new in town and needs a friend. Have you seen the tv show Revenge? Or wait is it an only American tv show?))
"Thank you" Emily stood and grabbed a couple of mints before laying down a $5 bill.

message 47: by Blood Bone and Muscle (last edited Dec 08, 2013 09:54PM) (new)

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((It's just American, I think. What about it? The name itself seems pretty interesting.
And Magnus sounds like a good one? I'm not so certain. Things can get pretty hectic around his unusual suburban life.))

Queen of The Moon ((Lol my character is based on a girl from that tv show. And she has a smart computer tech guy as a friend, that would be Magnus :p))

Queen of The Moon ((And that's what she's looking for. She hates boring mediocre life))

Blood Bone and Muscle | 353 comments ((Ah, the Nolan Ross for your Emily Thorne... oh, and he's bisexual which must fall perfectly into place for you. We'll see, I suppose.))

« previous 1