The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > A very specific type of book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ida (new)

Ida Hi guys! I'm new here and on the hunt for a very specific type of book. I'm hoping you can help me find one. Stand-alone or a series, it doesn't matter. Here are some criteria:
- in the genres mystery thiller and crime (of course).
- written in english or swedish.
- also some action would be nice.
- if it´s scary as hell it's big plus.
- the characters be must speak to you and I would like the main character to be a female. I'm thinkning something like Finn in CSI Las Vegas (those of you who watch CSI probably know what I mean. Key words would be something like tough and with scares (physical or mental, both works)...
- if the crime affects the characters in some personal way you have found my favorite type of book in this genre.

(English is not my native language so I apologize if there are some errors in the text)

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) The Balfour Conspiracy
a very gripping nuclear thriller with a rarely-seen element: the cold-hearted/remorseless villain of this tale, is a pretty, nubile, 20-something young girl. Its pretty scary and reinforces the idea that we 'can never put the genie back in the box'.

message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron Albury I don't want to SPAM you, but I just released a book that I believe meets your criteria: Enemy Combatant.

message 4: by Ida (new)

Ida Thanks to all of you! It seems like now I have three more books to read. I´m still open for more suggestions if anyone has one ;) You can never read too many books..

message 5: by Feliks (last edited Nov 30, 2013 01:13AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Yes, that's me. The Butcher of the Lubyanka. A thoroughly evil, reprehensible, and brutal character.

Definitely, scour this discussion for plenty-more titles
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-

message 6: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 103 comments The Amsterdam Assassin Series is in English, features a remorseless female freelance assassin, is realistic and has brutal violence and suspense.

More information: Amsterdam Assassin Series blog

message 7: by Ron (last edited Nov 30, 2013 05:43AM) (new)

Ron Albury Ron wrote: "I don't want to SPAM you, but I just released a book that I believe meets your criteria: Enemy Combatant."

http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Combatant...

Here is the Prologue:

The beat-up van struggles up the steep gravel driveway, forcing the driver to downshift into “L”. The roar of the straining engine scatters the birds roosting above the driveway and flushes a young deer across the van’s path. When she parks next to the log cabin Jennifer, a pretty young woman in her late-20’s, picks up a stack of glossy promotional brochures from the passenger seat, then removes a loaded 9mm pistol from the glove compartment.

The cabin is over one hundred fifty years old. Made from hand-hewn logs, it sits isolated on top of a wooded hill in Clinton County, Ohio. Originally built for a wealthy merchant who used it for hunting, it was re-purposed to a vacation cabin when the surrounding area was cleared and turned into farmland.

Jennifer is medium height, tanned, and has wind-blown shoulder length black hair with bangs that hang over her eyebrows. Her clothing consists of ragged jeans, a stained green T-shirt that is too large for her, and hiking boots. Her makeup is heavy but carefully applied, and the muted tones are very understated. Unusual but not remarkable looking, she could easily blend into most crowds.

After fumbling with the deadbolt she bursts into the cabin. “Hey! I got those vacation brochures like I promised. You wanted to go to the Gulf Coast side of Florida, right?”

“Fuck you!” a woman’s voice barks from the back of the cabin.

She continues into the kitchen, collapses into a chair next to the table, puts down the gun, and begins to flip through the brochures. “I don’t like this one because it is three blocks from the beach. It’s cheaper, but I think it is worth the money to be right on the water, don’t you?”

“You asshole”, the unseen woman’s voice calls out again.

Undeterred, Jennifer continues with her sales pitch. “This one has an Olympic-sized swimming pool. I don’t understand why they would build a swimming pool at a beach-front motel, but what do I know?”

“Why are you torturing me like this?” The other voice is nine parts anger and one part fear.

Jennifer eases up from the kitchen chair and walks toward the back of the cabin. Jennifer is not her real name, but it is the one she is currently using. She rotates between the five most popular girl’s names for her age group: Jennifer, Amanda, Jessica, Melissa, and Sarah.

“Aww, you know I’m not really torturing you. I’ve told you before, Americans don’t torture.”

Walking into the back room, Jennifer studies the woman who has been cursing her. She has on a blue denim skirt and slightly soiled white knit top. About the same size and coloring as Jennifer, she could probably pass as her sister. Her hair is unkempt and her tears have mixed with mascara to give her zebra cheeks. But that is not what would catch your attention if you were to walk into the room.

She is sitting in a child’s chair, her ankles bound to the front legs with plastic cable straps, forcing her knees up in an awkward and uncomfortable position. Her eyes are blindfolded. Her arms are tied behind her back at the wrists and elbows and the rope goes through a pulley screwed into a ceiling support beam, forcing her to lean forward to take the pressure off of her shoulders. There is a large tarp on the floor under her.

“So”, Jennifer says, “did you miss me while I was out?”

message 8: by Ida (new)

Ida Wow Ron thanks! This looks really interesting! Added it to my to-read list now.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 208 comments Just added it as well

I like odd lead characters and I don't mean the usual alcoholic or recovering alcoholic policemen. Still read them as well...

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments Philip: Have you read Christopher Fowler's marvelous Peculiar Crime Unit series? If you like "odd" lead characters, you'll love these guys! Plus, it takes place in the UK.

Philip wrote: "Just added it as well

I like odd lead characters and I don't mean the usual alcoholic or recovering alcoholic policemen. Still read them as well..."

message 11: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments Hi Ida...I'm also new to this site. I highly recommend author JT Ellison's Detective Taylor Jackson series. They fit most of your criteria particularly the "scarred", female lead, action, and scary portions. If you decide to try the series, make sure you read in chronological order as Lieutenant Jackson's character evolves in each book.

Ida wrote: "Hi guys! I'm new here and on the hunt for a very specific type of book. I'm hoping you can help me find one. Stand-alone or a series, it doesn't matter. Here are some criteria:
- in the genres myst..."

message 12: by Ida (new)

Ida The series sound really good! Thank you Lee. I saw there are 7 books in it and I just hope that´s enough haha.. Thanks again!

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments Hi Ida: You're welcome. JT Ellison recommended my first editor, fellow author LJ Sellers, who, coincidentally, also writes crime thrillers featuring a Detective Jackson although this time it's "Wade" and a man. They're fairly "psychological" and often disturbing.

My novels (The Murder Prospect & The Talus Slope) have a male protagonist but feature "kick ass" women in prominent roles.

Happy reading!

Ida wrote: "The series sound really good! Thank you Lee. I saw there are 7 books in it and I just hope that´s enough haha.. Thanks again!"

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin | 65 comments The Tess Monaghan series by Laura Lippman is good. Also the Rizzoli & Isles series Tess Gerritsen.

message 15: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Well of course I would recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, if you haven't read it. Original Swedish ,great female character....

message 16: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 106 comments Malina wrote: "Well of course I would recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, if you haven't read it. Original Swedish ,great female character...."

Great shout - look no further

message 17: by Ida (new)

Ida Erin wrote: "The Tess Monaghan series by Laura Lippman is good. Also the Rizzoli & Isles series Tess Gerritsen."

I have read the first 8 books in the Rizzoli & Isles series and I really like them but I'm defenetly gonna check out the Tess Monaghan series, thanks Erin!

message 18: by Ida (new)

Ida Malina wrote: "Well of course I would recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, if you haven't read it. Original Swedish ,great female character...."

I have been thinking of reading The girl with the dragon tattoo for a while now and this year I put it on my christmas wish list so let's hope I get it, otherwise I'll just buy it on my own… Thanks for your help!