The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 25.4 - Donna Jo's Task: Snow Is a Four Letter Word

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 30, 2013 04:24AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17877 comments Mod
25.4 - Donna Jo's Task: Snow Is a Four Letter Word

I grew up in Iowa and remember trudging to school through snow over my boot-tops (yeah, uphill both ways, yadda, yadda.) I am not a fan of snow or cold weather. My idea of a perfect winter sport is sitting in front of the fireplace reading a good book with something chocolate close at hand.

Instead of shoveling snow, your job is to choose two different options from this task and read a book from each.
Required: When you post, be sure you indicate which 2 options you chose.

1. Pick a book with a winter weather word in the title or subtitle: Words allowed are limited to Snow, Sleet, Hail, Slush, Blizzard, Wind, Cloud, Cold, Ice, Freeze, Frost. You may only use variations of the words ending in -ed, -ing, -(e)s, or -y.

2. Read a book whose author's first AND last name begins with S, N, O, or W. You may use each letter only once as no two snowflakes are alike. Disregard middle names. Hyphenated names are treated as one word. If a book has more than one author, only one needs to have the correct initials but the author must appear in the book's GR main page.

3. Snowflakes have six sides (or multiples of six), so read a book with six words in the title. All words count. Subtitles may be used or ignored. OR read book number 6, 12, 18 or 24 in a series as listed by GR.

4. Using a purely arbitrary list, read a book primarily set in what I think of when I think of a cold country: Canada, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Antarctica OR a cold US state Alaska, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wyoming, Idaho, South Dakota, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine.
Required: Please identify the setting if it is not apparent in the book's GR description

Optional: Take time to cut your own paper snowflakes. If you don't remember how: Cut Paper Snowflakes

message 2: by Donna Jo (last edited Dec 05, 2013 07:46PM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Warm wishes for your choices.

Option 1:
Iced Chiffon by Duffy Brown

Option 2:
Stuart Woods, Stephen White,

Option 3:
Merivel A Man of His Time by Rose Tremain

message 3: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Chilly Reception to your ideas.

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17877 comments Mod
This help thread is open!

message 5: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4093 comments So Stuart Woods or Stephen White would work for option 2?

Can the initials be reversed - SW or WS?

message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Bea wrote: "So Stuart Woods or Stephen White would work for option 2?

Can the initials be reversed - SW or WS?"

Yes to both your questions.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7694 comments probably going to say no, but option 2 - authors with only 1 name?

message 8: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments What Dee said!

message 9: by Andy (new)

Andy Plonka (plonkaac) | 3531 comments This is really just a thank you for option 3 In this series: Trickster's Point by William Kent Krueger, this book is # 12 and I've read 11 and 13 so getting to read "the hole" in between for the challenge is great.

message 10: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee wrote: "probably going to say no, but option 2 - authors with only 1 name?"

What Dee said!

If author only has one name you'll need to choose another option. Sorry.

message 11: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Andy wrote: "This is really just a thank you for option 3 In this series: Trickster's Point by William Kent Krueger, this book is # 12 and I've read 11 and 13 so getting to read "..."

Andy, I'm glad I managed to satisfy one reader anyway!!

message 12: by Marscha (new)

Marscha (mysterymb) | 429 comments Will Iced Chiffon work for option 1?

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7694 comments I figured but it was worth a try ;)

message 14: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Marscha wrote: "Will Iced Chiffon work for option 1?"

Marscha, yes that'll work.

message 15: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee wrote: "I figured but it was worth a try ;)"

Dee, you don't know if you don't ask. I don't NO until you ask.

message 16: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 903 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Dee wrote: "probably going to say no, but option 2 - authors with only 1 name?"

What Dee said!

If author only has one name you'll need to choose another option. Sorry."

Thanks,Donna Jo :-)

message 17: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Does frozen work for a variation of freeze?

Frozen Prairie

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Can I read translated version of a book that fits? I own Finnish translation of The Other Wind. And it even has the word wind in Finnish. =P

message 19: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Susan A wrote: "Does frozen work for a variation of freeze?

Frozen Prairie"

Susan, The only variations of freeze would be freezes or freezing so, I'm sorry, but frozen won't work. I hope you can use it in another task.

message 20: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Can I read translated version of a book that fits? I own Finnish translation of The Other Wind. And it even has the word wind in Finnish. =P"

Eepa, yes that works. Be sure to follow the rule on books in other languages

2. Books in languages other than English may be used. Please provide information on the book and/or title to your English speaking moderators so they can understand how the books fit the tasks.

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Can I read translated version of a book that fits? I own Finnish translation of The Other Wind. And it even has the word wind in Finnish. =P"

Eepa, yes that works..."

That's great! Thanks! =)

message 22: by Natalie (new)

Natalie  | 154 comments Can I use Merivel: A Man of His Time for Option 3, six words in the title?

message 23: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Natalie wrote: "Can I use Merivel: A Man of His Time for Option 3, six words in the title?"

Looks good to me. I need to add this to my list.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Donna Jo, are you using the "hyphenated word = one word" rule for this? So that The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion would be a 6 word title?

Thanks!

message 25: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sandy, you are right.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16197 comments Mod
Donna Jo wrote: "Sandy, you are right."

thanks!

message 27: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I am having major computer problems so it may take a day or two to get back to you. sorry.

message 28: by Claire (new)

message 29: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Claire, as long as your version of Hamlet has enough pages, you are good to go.

message 30: by Samantha McNulty (new)

Samantha McNulty | 71 comments Would Outcast by Susan Oloier work?

message 31: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Samantha wrote: "Would Outcast by Susan Oloier work?"

Should work for part 2. You'll need another book from one of the other options to complete the task.

message 32: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1766 comments For option 3, how is Pure Joy: The Dogs We Love?

message 33: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Cindie wrote: "For option 3, how is Pure Joy: The Dogs We Love?"

This should work as long as it isn't mostly pictures.

message 34: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1766 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Cindie wrote: "For option 3, how is Pure Joy: The Dogs We Love?"

This should work as long as it isn't mostly pictures."

Thanks, Donna Jo! Nope, just a couple pictures here and there...

message 35: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Cindie wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Cindie wrote: "For option 3, how is Pure Joy: The Dogs We Love?"

This should work as long as it isn't mostly pictures."

Thanks, Donna Jo! Nope, just a couple pic..."

Go for it!

message 36: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1145 comments For #3 does this work: Deck Z: The Titanic: Unsinkable. Undead.

(Z count as a word? Haha)

message 37: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Allison, yes Deck Z. counts.