The Patrick Hamilton Appreciation Society discussion

Other stuff > LinkedIn

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David | 788 comments Interesting topic in the English Language and Literature Group on LinkedIn just now sparked by a title "19 Famous Alcoholic Authors". I felt duty-bound to occupy the crease on behalf of Our Man.

http://tinyurl.com/n4x5o9j

message 2: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 3802 comments Mod
David wrote: "I felt duty-bound to occupy the crease on behalf of Our Man. "

Well done David. Gerwyn Moseley seems a bit down on PH and indeed Carver. And his summary of Hangover Square is a bit wide of the mark. Still each to their own eh?

message 3: by David (new)

David | 788 comments Gerwyn's a great guy but he can't be right all the time! Have you joined the group?

message 4: by Nigeyb (new)

David wrote: "Gerwyn's a great guy but he can't be right all the time!

A blind spot to Patrick Hamilton? And, Raymond Carver?!

David wrote: "Have you joined the group?"

I am on LinkedIn but not with no real sense of commitment. I try to minimise my interactions there. I've got too much to do with my various other commitments, so am wary of signing up for yet more distractions. It does look interesting though - and I appreciate you highlighting it.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 102 comments There are so many things to sign up to now aren't there! I think it could be a fulltime job just keeping up with all the various social networks.

message 6: by David (new)

David | 788 comments I only do Facebook to keep up to speed on some cultural and sporting passions. Linkedin has been beneficial in keeping tabs on former colleagues scattered across the good hard earth. Twitter doesn't interest me at all and I'm not sure what else exists. I'm quite disciplined in keeping off these. Unless an editorial deadline's looming, of course, in which case I'll be found cleaning the oven, servicing my bike and debating insignificant matters on web fora. Procrastination is the enemy of deadlines. And of exam revision.

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 102 comments Is anyone on any of the other sites similar to this one - I'm thinking of BookLikes & LibraryThing. I signed up to both recently but I don't know if I can keep all three going at once. I find myself coming here more regularly than the other two.

message 8: by Nigeyb (new)

Sarah wrote: "Is anyone on any of the other sites similar to this one - I'm thinking of BookLikes & LibraryThing. I signed up to both recently but I don't know if I can keep all three going at once."

I'm on both of those. GR is much better than either of those.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Rubenstein | 1343 comments I'm on LinkedIn, but only on a professional level, which is to say, I'm on it marginally and haven't joined any groups there. For now, this particular group is fully delivering in every department -- exchanging opinions, recommendations and tips with like-minded adults in a remarkably easy, attitude-free and welcoming sort of way. In short, I've no desire to stray!

message 10: by Nigeyb (new)

Mark wrote: "For now, this particular group is fully delivering in every department -- exchanging opinions, recommendations and tips with like-minded adults in a remarkably easy, attitude-free and welcoming sort of way."

Wow. Thanks Mark.

Can we put that on the poster?