Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Not My Book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis | 32 comments Once again I ask for your assistance in removing a recently added title from my author profile page. While the cover does list the same author name, I am not the author of the following: Nick aus der Flasche

Thank You!

message 3: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis | 32 comments Thank You!!

message 4: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (ShawnaLBernard) | 52 comments Hi, I recently had two books added to my profile that are not mine. One is called "All the Way In" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) and the other "Erica's Turn to Serve" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...). Please remove them. And how can I avoid someone else's books being added without my knowledge in the future? Thanks.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Shaw | 6 comments Sydney wrote: "Hi, I recently had two books added to my profile that are not mine. One is called "All the Way In" (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) and the other "Erica's Turn to Serve..."

You have to find a super-Librerian because I tried deleting it and it is locked. So try to find one on the chat page here.

message 6: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (ShawnaLBernard) | 52 comments Okay...how do I do that? And why would it be locked?

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sara, these records should absolutely NOT be deleted. They should be disambiguated to another author profile. Please read through the librarians' manual for information on how to do this before changing (and especially before deleting) records.

message 8: by Cait (last edited Dec 01, 2013 10:52AM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sydney wrote: "And how can I avoid someone else's books being added without my knowledge in the future? Thanks."

This is a peril of having a common name, I'm afraid. You have the default profile for the name "Syndey Leigh", so all new books attributed to that name will show up on your author profile. If it's happening often enough that it's bothering you, you can write to Goodreads Support and ask to be moved to a non-default profile; however, this will mean that any books which are actually yours may show up on the new default profile first, especially if they are imported from an external source, and you'll need to request to have them moved onto your own profile. (We librarians can't change your author profile, which is why you'd need to request this from Support, but we can move books between author profiles so you would just need to post here to move books in either direction. Sorry for the initial confusion on the topic! You can see the secondary Syndey Leigh profile here, if you're curious. I've moved the two books in question over.)

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Shaw | 6 comments Cait wrote: "Sara, these records should absolutely NOT be deleted. They should be disambiguated to another author profile. Please read through the librarians' manual for information on how to do this before cha..."

I know, but we do not know where they belong..

message 10: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (ShawnaLBernard) | 52 comments Thanks, Cait. I'll contact support for sure...and I appreciate the help.

message 11: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sara wrote: "I know, but we do not know where they belong.."

They belong under an author profile with the name Syndey Leigh, but not the one owned by the person posting here.

As it turns out there was a Syndey^^Leigh profile available which was already serving as a catchall; if there hadn't been, disambiguating the books would have created one.

Either way, there was no reason to attempt to delete these records.

message 12: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Sydney wrote: "Thanks, Cait. I'll contact support for sure...and I appreciate the help."

Glad to help! :)