The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello there

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments Hi my name is Alison I am from scottsdale Az. I have always enjoyed a good mystery crime story. I enjoy many different types from cozies to more psychological thrillers my favourite
mystery authors are Anne Perry and Reginald Hill but I like most styles.

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Alison. Glad you found us.

Happy Thanksgiving too.

message 3: by Gary (new)

Gary Van Cott | 187 comments It is always good to see Reginald Hill mentioned. I think he was a wonderful author whose books seem to have faded from the Goodreads world far too fast. There were some signs that he was working on another book when he passed away (a blurb was on his publisher's website, if I recall correctly). I wonder if it was far enough along for someone else to finish?

message 4: by Marie-Jo (new)

Marie-Jo Fortis | 118 comments Welcome, Allison. I'd wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, but I noticed your spelling of "favourite," so I assume you're not an American? British? Irish?

message 5: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Let's name some good thrillers set in Arizona for this girl.

I can think of one:
Patchwork

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5390 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Alison. I hope you enjoy the discussions here.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments Thanks I am looking forward to discussions. I'm a transplanted Brit but am now a U.S. citizen. I hope everyone enjoyed thanksgiving. And hopefully you have survived black Friday in tact. lookoing forward to what is in store from this group.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry_jones | 20 comments I will put patchwork on my list of reads it is nice to read about my home state see if I recognize the places plus Feliks you review looked good

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone,
My name is Jennifer, and I'm new to the group. I'm originally from San Francisco, and live in Oregon.
I enjoy reading mysteries, especially British mysteries including Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, and Dorothy Sayers.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone,
My name is Jennifer, and I'm new to the group.
I'm originally from San Francisco, and live in Oregon.
I enjoy reading mysteries, especially British mysteries, including Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, and Dorothy Sayers.

message 11: by Richard (new)

Richard (ricoh) | 106 comments You've got some catching up to do. There are some contemporary authors well worth reading who carry on our wonderful heritage in the UK. I met {author:Leigh Russell|2919056] today and she tells me her books are going to the USA - Look out for Cut Short. Happy Reading

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven Latto (stevenhlatto) | 4 comments Hi everyone new subscriber to good reads. Finishing my debut novel The Ferrier Boys. Happy reading and writing :-)

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments Hi Jennifer,
As noted by Richard in message #11, indeed you have some catching up...please consider the following:
Ann Cleeves (The Shetland Quartet series)
Ian Rankin (Inspector Rebus series)
Elizabeth George (Inspector Linley series)
Reginald Hill (Dalziel & Pascoe series)
PD James
Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dodds series)
Christopher Fowler (Peculiar Crimes Unit series)
After you finish those, I have more ha, ha.

Jennifer wrote: "Hello everyone,
I enjoy reading mysteries, especially British mysteries, including Agatha Chris..."

Jennifer wrote: "Hello everyone,
I enjoy reading mysteries, especially British mysteries, including Agatha Chris..."

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments It looks like introductions and a bit of self promotion is acceptable on this site. I'm "Lee", a retired petroleum geologist and, now, novelist. Originally from Oregon, I live in Parker, CO, near Denver. I have two published novels in an incipient crime thriller series featuring oilman turned PI, Cortlandt Scott. THE MURDER PROSPECT and THE TALUS SLOPE are available online in paperback through amazon, Barnes & Noble, Powell's, and Tower Books; E-book editions of THE MURDER PROSPECT wherever e-books are sold; THE TALUS SLOPE e-book edition is available for Kindle. The Murder Prospect The Murder Prospect (Volume One) by Lee Mossel The Talus Slope (Cortlandt Scott Crime Thriller #2) by Lee Mossel The Talus Slope

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for all of the interesting and informative suggestions!
I suppose I should also include the following authors that I've read, including E.W. Hornung for the Raffles collection, Sir A.C. Doyle, Emily Brightwell, who writes the Mrs. Jeffries Victorian series, Carola Dunn's delightful and impeccably historical Daisy Dalrymple series, Margery Allingham, and on a more modern note, M.C. Beaton/ Marion Chesney, Kerry Greenwood's Miss Fisher Mysteries,(also an engagingly modern television adaptation starring Essie Davis), P.D. James, Ruth Rendell's Inspector Wexford series, Clara Benson, Anne Cleeland, Rhys Bowen, and Lynn Florkiewicz.
And thanks also for the sugggestion of The Murder Prospect and The Talus Slope--they sound quite interesting.

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee Mossel | 106 comments With respect to your impressive list, I HIGHLY suggest you give Jacqueline Winspear; Cristopher Fowler; and Ann Cleeves a read. It is VITALLY important that you read these "series" novels in chronological order as they are quite sequential. Good Reading!!

Jennifer wrote: "Thanks for all of the interesting and informative suggestions!
I suppose I should also include the following authors that I've read, including E.W. Hornung for the Raffles collection, Sir A.C. Doyl..."

message 17: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5390 comments Mod
Hi Jennifer, Steven and Lee, welcome to the group, the more the merrier. Steven and Lee, please feel free to use the Author's Corner thread to promote you books. Good luck with them.

message 18: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome to all our new members.