A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Feast for Crows discussion

Perfect Way to keep me engaged

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annielaural (new) - added it

Annielaural I have loved all four Game of Thrones books and have discovered some new characters whom I find fascinating in this last of the series.

Characters have become far more complex in this last book. What an amazing writer Martin is to keep me involved for so many pages.

It's just that 2005 was a long time ago. I'm an oldie and I may die before he publishes the next volume.

I so don't want to see the television version of this last book. I've got it. Don't need an intermediary to translate the text into pictures for me.

How bout you?

Julia I haven't seen the series either. But that's more because I'm cheap and it's not available on Netflix.

But, do you realize the fifth book has been out for a while? A Dance with Dragons - it's been out for about 2 years.

One more point: I've heard a lot of people worry that Martin will die before he finishes the series. He's getting up there in age too.
I've heard he's nearly done with Winds of Winter, but he still won't announce a release date.

message 3: by John (last edited Dec 13, 2013 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Bellman I have enjoyed all five books.

The 'next volume' was published over 2 years ago. :)

Unfortunately, I truly think we'll be seeing how this story wraps up on HBO. It's doubtful to me that Martin will complete the last 2 books before the series 'catches up'.

I guarantee we won't see The Winds of Winter before 2015.

Brian Julia wrote: "I haven't seen the series either. But that's more because I'm cheap and it's not available on Netflix.

But, do you realize the fifth book has been out for a while? A Dance with Dragons - it's bee..."

I would love it if he was really almost done, but I doubt it. He announced late last year that he had 400 manuscript pages done, after working on it for a year, and these books are 1500 manuscript pages in length. I sincerely hope he has sped up the pace since then, but I am not optimistic. Summer 2015 seems the earliest time for him to realistically release it. I hope I am wrong.

Julia Brian wrote: "Summer 2015 seems the earliest time for him to realistically release it."

That sounds about right. If he finished the first draft this month, it would be at least 6 months before it's released. And I don't think he's that close.

Martin gets the "Most Frustrating Writer" award for sure. Between repeatedly killing off favorite characters and keeping his fans on the hook for so long (with so few updates); I've never been more annoyed by a writer.

message 6: by Christian (new) - added it

Christian Ashleigh wrote: "I don't watch the show, I like the books."

I really don't get that mentality. It's not a binary issue, there's no reason not to enjoy both, especially when the to adaptation is as good as it is.

Matthew Williams Julia wrote: "I haven't seen the series either. But that's more because I'm cheap and it's not available on Netflix.

But, do you realize the fifth book has been out for a while? A Dance with Dragons - it's bee..."

Re: Netflix. I know, right? But you have to assume that it's a very priced show and the rights are not easily acquired. However, there are several different Netflix's, so one country may have it while another may not. Which one do you subscribe to?

Julia Matthew wrote: "Which one do you subscribe to?"

I'm in the U.S. I read an article a while back that discussed why it's not on Netflix, but I can't remember most of it. I do remember it said that while Netflix is trying to negotiate the rights, it's highly unlikely they'll ever get Season 1 (and why bother with the rest if they can't get Season 1?). Again, I can't remember why. I'll try to find the article again.

Steven John wrote: "I have enjoyed all five books.

The 'next volume' was published over 2 years ago. :)

Unfortunately, I truly think we'll be seeing how this story wraps up on HBO. It's doubtful to me that Martin w..."

At this point that doesn't bother me too much. The HBO show just keeps distancing itself from the source material with each season. I wouldn't be suprised if the two had completely different endings and surviving characters. They really are two completely different worlds at this point. Which I love because it keeps them apart and both interesting in their own ways.

message 11: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Bellman Martin already told HBO the ending and I'm certain they plan to stick with it. The journey to the end may differ but the actual resolution to the series is going to remain as Martin envisioned it.

Mitali John wrote: "Martin already told HBO the ending and I'm certain they plan to stick with it. The journey to the end may differ but the actual resolution to the series is going to remain as Martin envisioned it."

The way Martin envisioned the end may change considerably by the time he actually writes the books (assuming he ever finishes them). Writing books isn't about picking an endpoint and then bending all the plots until they get to that endpoint. Martin may have had a certain endgame in mind when he started writing this series, but it's possible that the way the story develops, the end he originally envisioned doesn't quite work.

In other words, there won't be an 'official' book ending until the last book is written.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly I don't have HBO, but our dinosaur of a video store has the 3 seasons of Game of Thrones available on DVD........each season rents for $3 for 5 nights.

I started watching the HBO series first, then started reading the books.