Modern Good Reads discussion

Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer: And Her Parable of the Tomato Plant
MGR Events (BOTM, etc.) > December BOTM Discussion

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

Kirstin Pulioff | 252 comments Mod
This is the thread for discussing this wonderful book. We are lucky too- the author is in this group!

This is a great opportunity to discuss the book, it's strength, characters, themes, and also have any questions answered by the author.

Looking froward to the discussion.

Marsha Roberts Hi! I'm Marsha Roberts, author of "Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer and her Parable of the Tomato Plant" and I'm very excited that my book was chosen as Modern Good Reads Book Of The Month. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have throughout the month and look forward to participating in the discussions here.

First off, a little about my book. It falls under two categories: memoir and inspirational. But it is definitely not your typical inspirational book or a standard memoir. It's also not a book about Christmas (although it does have several Christmas-time scenes!). Simply put, it's about real life colliding with real miracles!

I'm relatively new to Modern Good Reads, so I'll let several of the active members tell you more about my Mutinous Boomer book:

Dianne Harman wrote, "This is simply a wonderful book which offers hope to everyone who has every struggled with almost any human condition. Confessions belongs on the nightstand. When hope is not at hand, it can be."

From Simon Okill's review: "I had tears streaming down my face on more than one occasion, only to find myself laughing a few pages further… I highly recommend this FIVE STAR family drama to everyone who might find there is more to life than just living it."

Duncan Whitehead said, "This book is uplifting, well written and you feel after reading that the writer is now your friend and you know her so well!"

So you judge for yourself! Take advantage of my after Thanksgiving 50% off sale that's running right now and pick up a Kindle version for only $1.99. You can read more on my Amazon Page: http://amzn.to/17MtbdA

Have a wonderful holiday season and let's talk!
Marsha
The Mutinous Boomer!
Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer And Her Parable of the Tomato Plant by Marsha Roberts

Simon Okill (tassyoneill) | 52 comments To this day I can't help but think of Marsha's book and use it to help me through my difficult times. Mutinous Boomer inspires a willingness to put oneself out when needed especially as Xmas is almost upon us. A parable a day keeps the doctor away, well tomatoes are supposed to, and if it's healthy then what you consume health-wise can only boost health, so stay off those fries.

Marilyn Slagel | 9 comments Just ordered it! Looking forward to reading it this week.

Marsha Roberts Simon wrote: "To this day I can't help but think of Marsha's book and use it to help me through my difficult times. Mutinous Boomer inspires a willingness to put oneself out when needed especially as Xmas is alm..."

You don't know how much that means to me, Simon. That my book stayed with you. Lovely. Truly. Thank you.

Marsha Roberts Marilyn wrote: "Just ordered it! Looking forward to reading it this week."

I hope you enjoy it Marilyn! As you go along, feel free to ask me anything you like.
Marsha

message 7: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Rector | 11 comments This book is definitely an inspirational memoir, but what inspired you to write it?

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (httpgoodreadscomlinnievic) Congratulations on your win Marsha!

Marsha Roberts Bob wrote: "This book is definitely an inspirational memoir, but what inspired you to write it?"

Good question, Bob. I was having dinner with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. During the course of the evening, I shared stories of some of the adventures I'd had - many of them were pretty grand since I had produced a play that had toured all over the world, entertaining American troops at home and overseas. Lots of stories there! My friend said, "You should write a book!" Well, I'd heard that for years and I guess it was just one time too many. I had written some of my stories down, but that's the moment I decided I was going to write a book. I just had no idea how much I was going to love the process!

Marsha Roberts Linda wrote: "Congratulations on your win Marsha!"

Thanks Linda, I appreciate that! I hope you have a chance to read it and let me know what you think in the coming weeks.

Karen Prince | 5 comments I was just idly browsing through Kindle Books and Tips and who should pop up but our own Marsha Roberts, so naturally I clicked through to Amazon and bought the book. I am so looking forward to reading it. A quick glance at the story of the scary snow storm has me hooked. As an African, I have never even seen snow, much less considered the dangers of hurtling down a highway with zero visibility in an iffy car!! I can't wait.

Also, after reading your Author Bio, I am so envious of you, Marsha, for having travelled the world with your theatrical production, "Letters From the Front," Could you tell us a little more about that?

Marsha Roberts Karen wrote: "I was just idly browsing through Kindle Books and Tips and who should pop up but our own Marsha Roberts, so naturally I clicked through to Amazon and bought the book. I am so looking forward to rea..."

Karen, I'd be happy to answer that, but first I'd like to comment on the "scary snow storm" you mentioned. There is a punch to that chapter that I won't give away here, but I want to assure you, as fantastical as it may seem, it happened just as described. When my son read that chapter he said, "You know, mom, you told me that story more than 15 years ago and it hasn't changed a bit. I guess it really did happen that way." It was miraculous, there's no doubt about it.

As far as traveling the world with "Letters From The Front," it was incredibly hard work, but I had the time of my life! For 15 years we toured military installations stateside, entertaining the troops, their families and veterans. It was a bus and truck tour, so we saw America up close and personal. Including Alaska! We also did two European tours, a tour to bases in the Mediterranean and a grand Pac Rim Tour that covered Hawaii, Japan, Guam, and a bunch of other islands, including a piece of paradise in the Indian Ocean: Diego Garcia.

All I had ever dreamed of as a child was to have an adventurous life, and "Letters From The Front" certainly provided that. But, frankly, the adventure was secondary to the experience of performing for American troops. They are the most appreciative audience you can possibly imagine. I frequently said that there was no Producer more loved for what she did than I was. What a gift. You'll find quite a few of my touring escapades chronicled in my Mutinous Boomer book. Write me back after you read them and let me know what you think!

Karen Prince | 5 comments Ha! Marsha. Just finished "Confessions" and it was charming and uplifting and at times heart wrenching. I especially enjoyed the idea of you and your crew cruising around Europe in a bus with a panoramic view or the countryside from your front windows.

I grew up in a war zone, so I also felt particularly connected to the concept of traveling to military bases and entertaining the troops. I remember sitting glued to our radios every Saturday afternoon in the 70s when we had "Forces Requests" which was a simple program where the announcer read short letters to the troops from home or from the troops to their families. It was so good to know your friends were still alive.

Marsha Roberts Karen, I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed "Confessions." The scenes you described of us "cruising around Europe in a bus with a panoramic view of the countryside" was not only true, but even now when I read your reaction, I have a vivid flashback!

Where are you that you grew up in a war zone? I imagine you did relate to the scenes of family and friends waiting for news of their loved ones. True then. True now.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings. But I do have a question for you - what did you find uplifting? What did you find heart wrenching?

Again, thanks for taking the time to share.

message 15: by Kirstin, Moderator (new)

Kirstin Pulioff | 252 comments Mod
Hi Marsha,

It sounds like this book is a hit! What projects are coming up next for you?

Karen Prince | 5 comments Marsha, I grew up in Zimbabwe during the bush war there. I lost good friends both soldiers and civilians. Land mines all over the place and civilian aircraft being shot out of the sky. . .twice. Long story.

The thing about "Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer and her Parable of the Tomato Plant" that I found most heart wrenching is when soldiers would show their appreciation for the play either by approaching you or by writing to you. Especially the time when the organizers had forgotten to take away the 'Theatre closed' sign and only 100 people pitched up, but it was all worth it because it was a brilliant show anyway and a soldier told you how much his friend , who died in Desert Storm, would have appreciated it.

Marsha Roberts Kirstin wrote: "Hi Marsha,

It sounds like this book is a hit! What projects are coming up next for you?"

Kirstin, thanks for asking! I'm actually in the organization phase of my next book, which will be the second in the Mutinous Boomer series and will focus on dogs! I've had some amazing dogs in my life (what dog lover doesn't feel that way?!) and I've learned so much from them that their stories make natural "parables" and tales. I've got a whole list of memorable moments, now to hone it down to those that fit into the story arc. But, I'm on it and everyone in my family is pushing me for the next one! Hopefully to be released this coming spring.

Marsha Roberts Karen wrote: "Marsha, I grew up in Zimbabwe during the bush war there. I lost good friends both soldiers and civilians. Land mines all over the place and civilian aircraft being shot out of the sky. . .twice. Lo..."

Thank you for sharing that Karen. What you experienced in your childhood is beyond the comprehension of most of us and you must have an extremely strong character to have come through all that the way you did.

The scene you described about how the young soldier came up to me and thanked me for his buddy (who had been killed in Desert Storm) was a real turning point for me. When things got so difficult for a while, keeping that show on the road, I remembered that young man and it gave me strength and a real purpose to keep going. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

Marsha Roberts Smashwords coupon deal just for Modern Good Reads members! Hi again! Just wanted you all to know that although my Kindle promotion is over, I've established a Sales Coupon through Goodreads for our Book Of The Month Group. It is 75% off from the regular price of $3.99 to just $.99 with the coupon. Of course, with Smashwords, you can download it in any format you wish. The link to "Confessions of an Instinctively Mutinous Baby Boomer" on Smashwords is https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

The Smashwords Discount Coupon Code is XR64F.

I hope this makes it more accessible for each of you to participate in our BOTM. However, if you prefer Amazon at the standard price, the link is http://amzn.to/17MtbdA

Cheers!
Marsha
The Mutinous Boomer!

Marsha Roberts Dianne wrote: "If you haven't read this, you're in for a real treat. Can't tell you how many people I've recommended it to. Everyone loves it. Wish I could read it for the first time again. Enjoy!"

Dianne, thanks so much!
Dianne's review of my Mutinous Boomer book was so special that when I updated the cover for the paperback, I used a portion of her review on the back. But, of course, Dianne is a best selling author in her own right and you would expect a well written review from her!

message 21: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Rector | 11 comments "Confessions" is a book about essential human truths told in an entertaining and personally revealing narrative that never preaches or says "do as I do." In a landscape overflowing with fiction, much of it based on fantasy or the supernatural, how do you find your audience?

Richard | 1 comments Marsha wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Hi Marsha,

Kirstin, thanks for asking! I'm actually in the organization phase of my next book, which ..."

Glad to hear you're going to write more dog stories. I've read several of your blog posts about your dogs and I thought they were a great continuation on the themes in your first book, which I really liked. Your casual, easy story telling really pulled me in. Entertaining, but thought provoking at the same time. I look forward to your next one.

Marsha Roberts Bob wrote: ""Confessions" is a book about essential human truths told in an entertaining and personally revealing narrative that never preaches or says "do as I do." In a landscape overflowing with fiction, mu..."

Wow, what a complex question, Bob! I've found some of my audience through websites that cater to specific genres. The problem I've had is that my book is "inspirational" and also a "memoir" but not typical in either genre. I've often wondered how many other authors have books that aren't typical to the specific genre that the publishing industry has defined. Won't it be interesting to see how books are defined in this new world of indie publishing?! It's a little like the wild west! But, word-of-mouth is still a factor and those who would enjoy my book will find it! (There's the Mutinous Boomer philosophy for you!)

Marsha Roberts Richard wrote: "Marsha wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Hi Marsha,

Kirstin, thanks for asking! I'm actually in the organization phase of my ne..."

Grand to know my occasional blogs are read, Richard - thanks! My plan is to post excerpts of the 2nd Mutinous Boomer book in my "Angels, Miracles & Dogs" blog (because there's a reason that dog is God spelled backwards!) as I start putting my thoughts on paper. Paper? Yep! I start writing on a legal pad, then transfer the best of what I do to the computer.
Other authors - do you do this, or do you write directly into your computer. I'm curious!

Claude Forthomme (claudenougat) | 8 comments Marsha wrote: "Richard wrote: "Marsha wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Hi Marsha,

Kirstin, thanks for asking! I'm actually in the organizatio..."

I've been reading the comment thread here and I'm happy to see so many people are enjoying your book - which is TRULY a good read! When we read it in our Boomer Lit Group, it was a huge success and that was one of the books that was really a pleasure to review and discuss.

Marsha, you have such an unshakeable optimism and it's very, very catching (no doubt because of the way you write, establishing a direct link with your reader who gets the feeling he/she knows you personally) - that's most definitely one of the attractions of your book...

Then, way I see reviews is that they're basically our thank you note to the author, and since we're authors ourselves, it's the least we can do when we enjoy a book. And that's a book I really enjoyed, I'm so happy you're working on another one!

Now to answer your question, I for one rarely write anything long hand these days (I go much faster on the computer) but I do use slips of papers to write down sudden ideas - then I tend to promptly lose that bit of paper, but having written it down at least once helps me remember it until I get to my computer!

Marsha Roberts Claude wrote: "Marsha wrote: "Richard wrote: "Marsha wrote: "Kirstin wrote: "Hi Marsha,

Kirstin, thanks for asking! I'm actually in ..."

How interesting, Claude! Scraps of paper to remember ideas...

For me I rarely find the "muse" directly on the computer. I take a legal pad outside, or to some comfy chair inside, and let the silence move me to words. Many times the words are just the beginning and as I type them into the computer I find where I need to go.

I appreciate what you said, Claude, that I established a direct link to my reader, so that they feel they get to know me personally. Lovely! Then I've done my job! Time to do it again!

Thanks so much for your comments!

Marsha Roberts Happy New Year to Modern Good Reads members! Just wanted you to know that in the final days of my Mutinous Boomer book being BOTM, you can pick it up at Amazon for $.99 during my After Christmas Kindle Sale! You can find it at http://amzn.to/17MtbdA
I've enjoyed these discussions and encourage you to ask me any questions you have even after the end of the month. I'll still be here at MGR. Enjoy your holidays!
Marsha