Zombies! discussion

Read For Review (R4R) > R4R #12: Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies (Steven Roy)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Nov 27, 2013 05:23AM) (new)

Jim | 219 comments Mod
The group has been approached by author Steven Roy for a Read for Review of his novel Black Redneck vs. Space Zombies.
Summary:

Those worlds didn't have a Black Redneck.

Jefferson Balladeer is an African American who was adopted as an infant by the Balladeer family of Picayune, MS. When Ma and Pa Balladeer die in a car crash, it’s left to Jefferson’s older brother, Big Beau Balladeer, to raise Jefferson.

While Big Beau is large of heart and body, he’s not the ideal caregiver for the naturally intellectual Jefferson. Big Beau teaches young Jefferson the only thing he knows, how to be the ultimate redneck.

Jefferson grows up to be a rodeo star and an expert marksman, and, as Big Beau would say, a certified, grade A ass-kicker. Jefferson becomes known as the Black-Redneck.

When Jefferson is seventeen, he begins to question what he wants to do and who he really is. To further complicate matters, he finds out Pa-Balladeer told everyone that he adopted Jefferson so he could haul watermelons and cut wood.

Jefferson puts Picayune in his rear view mirror and doesn’t plan on ever stepping foot in Mississippi again.

Twelve years later, Big Beau gets himself killed in a drunk driving accident, and Jefferson learns he is the sole heir of Balladeer farm.

Jefferson decides to turn the massive plot of land into a huge subdivision. The people of Picayune are not happy.

Jefferson’s plan is going great until a creature known as the Devourer falls from the sky and begins turning the good people of Picayune into Space-Zombies. (Don’t you hate when that happens?)

What Jefferson thought of as a major inconvenience turns into a struggle for survival against a creature that has destroyed countless worlds.

Now, if Jefferson hopes to survive and save the world, he’ll have to remember all his rodeo and shooting skills. He’ll have to take one last ride as the Black-Redneck.

Epub, 300

The author will be giving 10 copies in epub, mobi, or pdf format. To request, please message me with your email address and requested format. I will forward it to the author for them to provide you a copy of the book. It is also your responsibility to contact me immediately if you do not receive the book or have a problem. In exchange for the free book, the author requests an honest review of their book not just on Goodreads, but also on Amazon USA, UK, and any of your blogs or reviewing sites. Once you are finished with your review and have posted it on Goodreads, you are REQUIRED to post your Goodreads link to it on this thread.

Even though this book is being gifted to you please do not share it with anyone. It is unethical, disrespectful and illegal to share books provided to you for reviews.

Further Info from the group, not the author: If you do not complete the e-book within the time given, and you do not post your link on this thread or I do not hear from you stating that you intend to finish and review the book, you will not be allowed to participate in future Read for Review events. This is to prevent people from getting complimentary books over and over without fulfilling their obligation. If you are unable to meet the 3 week guideline for reviewing the book, please do not sign up

If there are any other authors looking to do this with our group, please message me. You MUST be willing to provide copies, free of charge, to the reviewers.

REVIEWERS: PLEASE read the topic titled "Reviewers." All the rules are listed under there. We will not allow any excuses of "I didn't know" because the rules are listed and if you have any questions you can always message me.

Links to find the book for posting reviews:
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Redneck-S...

Deadline for review is 11:59pm EST on 12/18/13 (December 18th).

message 3: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments That's a pretty fancy review.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments So, who is your favorite character?

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky Stephens (twistedbookjunkie) | 10 comments Definitely Jefferson! But only because I have a crush. Believe it or not, Shorty is one my favorites too. He's the tall, silent ... okay, not tall at all, but he's got the silent part in the bag! The end was marvelous, exactly the way I'd want the first adventure to end if I lived in Picayune.

message 7: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments Thanks for the great review, Kelly. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I'll ask you the same question I asked Becky. Who is your favorite character?

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments Becky wrote: "Definitely Jefferson! But only because I have a crush. Believe it or not, Shorty is one my favorites too. He's the tall, silent ... okay, not tall at all, but he's got the silent part in the bag! T..."

Yeah, Shorty is more the wide, silent type :) I really hope to do a lot with his character and back-story in coming books.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Rickard | 77 comments I really liked Mary she is tough like a mini daisy but more smart after shorty communicates with her to be honest I liked Jefferson, daisy, tom, shorty and old ed but gray man was a shining star too

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky Stephens (twistedbookjunkie) | 10 comments Honestly, Steven, there are so many characters to love that it's difficult to choose just one favorite. But I agree with Kelly on Mary. Circumstances have made her mostly self reliant, and she's so feisty, which made me like her instantaneously. And who couldn't love Gray Man?!

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments Thanks so much. I worked hard to make all the characters different and at different points on their lives. The scenes with Mary were some of the more fun to write. But, the whole thing was pretty damned fun to write.

message 12: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments Feel free to nominate the book for the book of the month for this group. That would be pretty awesome.

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky Stephens (twistedbookjunkie) | 10 comments Steven wrote: "Feel free to nominate the book for the book of the month for this group. That would be pretty awesome."

It would be my pleasure!

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments You're so awesome. Being book of the month here would be some great exposure :)