Discworld discussion

Quotes

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Bird | 30 comments I like the following quote in Raising Steam

"... the commander went, as they say in Ankh-Morpork, totally librarian on them."

What are other peoples favorite Discworld quotes?

message 2: by Tsvetina (last edited Nov 27, 2013 01:08PM) (new)

Tsvetina Dencheva These are two of my favorites in the all-time quotes chart:

"Supposing there was justice for all, after all? For every unheeded beggar, every harsh word, every neglected duty, every slight... every choice... Because that was the point, wasn't it? You had to choose. You might be right, you might be wrong, but you had to choose, knowing that the rightness or wrongness might never be clear or even that you were deciding between two sorts of wrong, that there was no right anywhere. And always, always, you did it by yourself. You were the one there, on the edge, watching and listening. Never any tears, never any apology, never any regrets... You saved all that up in a way that could be used when needed."

Carpe Jugulum

"HAVE YOU NOT LOOKED DOWN FROM THE HORSE AT A CITY AND THOUGHT HOW MUCH IT RESEMBLED AN ANT HEAP, FULL OF BLIND CREATURES WHO THINK THEIR MUNDANE LITTLE WORLD IS REAL? YOU SEE THE LIGHTED WINDOWS AND WHAT YOU WANT TO THINK IS THAT THERE MUST BE MANY INTERESTING STORIES BEHIND THEM, BUT WHAT YOU KNOW IS THAT REALLY THERE ARE JUST DULL, DULL SOULS, MERE CONSUMERS OF FOOD, WHO THINK THEIR INSTINCTS ARE EMOTIONS AND THEIR TINY LIVES OF MORE ACCOUNT THAN A WHISPER OF WIND."

Soul Music

message 3: by James (new)

James | 21 comments Don't remember which book, but someone was stated as having gone "completely librarian-poo".

message 4: by Mina (new)

Mina | 10 comments One of my favorite is "Don't let me detain you." Havelock Vetinari

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole | 20 comments I love the groan-making puns that occur unexpectedly, e.g. from Night Watch, on Vimes's distrust of dress uniform: 'Sam Vimes felt like a traitor every time he wore it. He hated being thought of as one of those people that wore stupid ornamental armour. It was gilt by association.'

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 52 comments “Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
― Thief of Time

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 52 comments “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.”

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 52 comments “Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
― A Hat Full of Sky

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 52 comments “Hello, little girl," he said, which was only his first big mistake. "I'm sure you want to know all about hedgehogs, eh?"

"I did this one last year," said Tiffany.

The man looked closer, and his grin faded. "Oh, yes," he said. "I remember. You asked all those... little questions."

"I would like a question answered today," said Tiffany.

"Provided it's not one about how you get baby hedgehogs," said the man.

"No," said Tiffany patiently. "It's about zoology."

"Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite small.”
― Wee Free Men

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole | 20 comments Lisa wrote: "“Hello, little girl," he said, which was only his first big mistake. "I'm sure you want to know all about hedgehogs, eh?"

"I did this one last year," said Tiffany.

The man looked closer, and his ..."

I love this quote too - Tiffany refusing to be patronised!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 52 comments It is just so well written and so snarky! Tells us so much about Tiffany.

message 12: by EstherCW (new)

EstherCW | 10 comments Vetinari: My motives, as ever, are entirely transparent.

Hughnon reflected that “entirely transparent” meant either that you could see right through them or that you couldn’t see them at all.

message 13: by egr2058 (new)

egr2058 | 4 comments Good Omens: "Cats, Dog considered, were clearly a lot tougher than lost souls"

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Schneider | 2 comments All football (soccer for Americans) addicts will just love this quote from Unseen Academicals, because it sums it all up nicely:

The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.

message 15: by Amnesiasocks (new)

Amnesiasocks | 1 comments Equal Rights: "He has the kind of real deep tan that rich people spend ages trying to achieve with expensive holidays and bits of tinfoil, when really all you need to do to obtain one is work your arse off in the open air everyday"
Love that one.

message 16: by Carole (new)

Carole | 8 comments JIngo - on the topic of Leonard of Quirm's invention of a kind of internal combustion engine: 'One of the advantages of horses that people often point out,' said Vetinari, after some thought, 'Is that they very seldom explode.'

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Monstrous Regiment- "Good or bad, do it as you. Too many lies and there's no truth to go back to."

message 18: by David (new)

David Llewellyn (davidallewellyn) | 1 comments I fear I paraphrase, and for the life of me I can't remember which book it's from. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
"Universities are great storehouses of knowledge. Students go in knowing everything and leave knowing nothing. All that knowledge has to be stored somewhere."

message 19: by Aea (new)

Aea | 1 comments David wrote: "I fear I paraphrase, and for the life of me I can't remember which book it's from. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
"Universities are great storehouses of knowledge. Students go in knowing everyth..."
"

It's from The Science of Discworld:
"...universities are truly storehouses of knowledge: students arrive from school confident that they know very nearly everything, and they leave years later certain that they know practically nothing. Where did the knowledge go in the meantime? Into the university, of course, where it is carefully dried and stored."

message 20: by Carole (new)

Carole | 8 comments I like this, from 'Interesting Times':
'And therefore education at the University mostly worked by the age-old method of putting a lot of young people in the vicinity of a lot of books and hoping that something would pass from one to the other, while the actual young people put themselves in the vicinity of inns and taverns for exactly the same reason.'

message 21: by Kris (new)

Kris (awobble) He'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.

message 22: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

From @terryandrob in the Twitterverse