The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > R.I.P. Pushing Daisies

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Pushing Daisies is no longer - ABC aired the final episode this past Saturday. My hubby and I absolutely adored this show - funny, quirky, wonderful characters, every episode entertaining. I'm devastated! It was a critics' fave, and it was doing well during the beginning of the first season, but then the strike hit. Afterward, it just couldn't get the ratings back. *sigh*

This is why I never follow shows on regular t.v. - whenever I actually do, it's canceled! And don't get me started on the crap that the networks actually renew.

Anyway, just wanted to vent a little, in a vain attempt to make myself feel better. I'll miss you, Pushing Daisies!

message 2: by Areana (new)

Areana (luverbook) | 46 comments I know. I thought that show was really entertaining too. I really wish they didn't take it off the air.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Really? This is sad.. the show was really funny

message 4: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10123 comments Mod
I only saw the first episode or two, then forget it was on. I remember thinking it was cute. I hate when the cancel my favrotie shows. two or three years ago they canceled two in on shot. Invasion and Surface. I was devastated!

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I'm with you Maureen. This was one of the few shows that I actually looked forward too and watched weekly. I loved the funny quirky quality of it.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I still miss Joan of Arcadia. Which was the last time I let myself get attached to a quality TV program. There's nothing but trash on the TV anymore. I'm sorry I didn't know about this one, but then again maybe not, since it's been cancelled.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I really liked Pushing daisies. I thought it was really cute and quirky. Im so tired of reality shows that It was so nice to have a show like that to watch.

message 8: by Felina (new)

Felina I never saw Pushing Up Daisies but I morned the cancellation of Arrested Development.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the 10 versions each of CSI and Law & Order.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Laura wrote: "I still miss Joan of Arcadia. Which was the last time I let myself get attached to a quality TV program. There's nothing but trash on the TV anymore. I'm sorry I didn't know about this one, but the..."

Awww I used to love Joan of Arcadia!!! It was SO cute, I love Amber.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 71 comments Noooooooo say it isn't so :( I loved Pushing Daisies. It was witty and cute and different from a lot of shows out there. I loved the bright colors they added to the costumes and shop and everything. And what a cast. Kristin Chenoweth is adorable. I loved that show :(

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Felina wrote: "I never saw Pushing Up Daisies but I morned the cancellation of Arrested Development.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the 10 versions each of CSI and Law & Order. "

THIS is what I'm saying !!!! Thanks Felina!

message 12: by Laura (last edited Jun 18, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Carol wrote: "Laura wrote: "I still miss Joan of Arcadia. Which was the last time I let myself get attached to a quality TV program. There's nothing but trash on the TV anymore. I'm sorry I didn't know about thi..."

I am still mourning that show. We could watch it as a family (how many shows can you watch with your kids anymore?), and actually discuss MEANINGFUL concepts and issues, including religious ideas. *GASP*

sigh.

I bought the first season on DVD, and even bought a shirt the mother (Mary Steenburgen) wore on the show on Ebay when they were selling off the props. (They padded the chest a little!)

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Angie wrote: "Noooooooo say it isn't so :( I loved Pushing Daisies. It was witty and cute and different from a lot of shows out there. I loved the bright colors they added to the costumes and shop and everything..."

The bright colors were a special show indeed, everything was beautiful and candy-like.

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) I watched half the first episode and thought it looked very pretty but it didn't hold my attention. I'm not very good on series/serials, better on really low-down reality tv - Flava Flav, Charm School (and the good stuff, like the Food Network challenges). I wish they would cancel the endless reality tv repeats though.

message 15: by Felina (new)

Felina I've found that anymore I can't pay attention to anything longer than a half hour. I had to stop watching hour long shows and drama's altogether. I guess I have a very short attention span lately. I can't just watch something. I have to be doing something else like balancing my checkbook or rearranging my closet. So if its not something I can basically just listen too, I'm not interested. Thats why I started DVRing the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, The Late Show with Jimmy Fallon and the Daily Show. Love it!

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments Just add this to the list of shows I started watching which were prematurely cancelled.

Pushing Daisies
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Arrested Development
Better off Ted
Greg the Bunny
Family Guy (which was happily brought back years later!)
God, the Devil and Bob

It's like TV just isn't made for people with my sense of humor. That's why I need to quit it and read more!

message 17: by Felina (new)

Felina Nikki wrote: "Just add this to the list of shows I started watching which were prematurely cancelled.

Pushing Daisies
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Arrested Development
Better off Ted
Greg the Bunny..."

Better off Ted got cancelled? I don't think so.... I recorded it on DVR last week. Granted it was an old episode but they usually don't play reruns for cancelled shows unless they were on forever and then they usually wait like 5 years.

message 18: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments I loved Pushing Up Daisies, it was so funny! They cancel all the good shows. I watched all the first season and part of the second, and I don't even have a tv hook-up.

message 19: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments Yeah, but it's summer time. They're just showing all the already filmed episodes and not bringing it back next year. It was the same with Pushing Daisies. That got cancelled months ago, but they still had like three filmed episodes, so they waited until summer time to air them.

But yay for DVDs! I just got Andy Richter Controls the Universe on DVD and I forgot how completely brilliant that show was!

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) I hate when shows get canceled in the middle of the season... they have to create a terrible ending or worst, no ending at all. I´m super afraid of Kyle XY season finale :(

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina Nikki wrote: "Yeah, but it's summer time. They're just showing all the already filmed episodes and not bringing it back next year. It was the same with Pushing Daisies. That got cancelled months ago, but they s..."

Hey Nikki Good news. In my Entertainment Weekly dated last week they said Better off Ted is not going off the air. It returned yesterday. Yea!!!

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments :)

I love being wrong sometimes.

message 23: by Misty (new)

Misty | 15 comments I loved this show. And when it disappeared a few months ago, I googled and found out it was cancelled, and when I never saw it in its time again, I assumed they just pulled it. I didn't know they aired anymore, so I missed the end. :(

message 24: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 93 comments Awww... I loved it when I got the chance to watch it! Now I feel cheated because I was too busy to watch as many as I would have liked to.

It's because of people like me.... sorry :(

message 25: by Turner (new)

Turner | 34 comments I loved Pushing Daisies. It was the only show on TV that I actually enjoyed... I'm still mourning its loss.
Another show I'm sad they cancelled was Firefly, but FOX always does a bad job of publicizing their shows.

message 26: by Felina (last edited Jul 08, 2009 08:52PM) (new)

Felina Turner wrote: "I loved Pushing Daisies. It was the only show on TV that I actually enjoyed... I'm still mourning its loss.
Another show I'm sad they cancelled was Firefly, but FOX always does a bad job of public..."

I agree. I think thats why they cancelled Arrested Development. First its sundays at 7 then next week its thrusdays at 9 then two weeks later tuesday night at 6. Its ridiculous.

message 27: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture | 121 comments Out of the blue, I just remembered another show I loved that was canceled after only a few episodes aired.

Love Monkey.

Did anyone else watch it?