The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
This topic is about The Thousand Names
The Shadow Campaigns > TTN: General Stuff

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Logistics and non-spoiler discussion of the book.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I got the audio book from my library. They had 10 copies on CD and even an eAudio edition. I'd never heard of this book, but apparently they have.

Since I'm doing audio I'm starting a bit early. Likely tomorrow as I figure I'll finish Hexed today.

message 3: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 1596 comments I thought a bunch of people had jumped in on this read because of my notifications but realized it was people commenting on Toll the Hounds in the Malazan group.

message 4: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

There are 4 people reading it as far as I know: you, Mark (who I think might be finished now), myself and MPauli just started.

Not sure what happened to Alex who organized the whole thing, and Sky said he was interested in doing this book, but I haven't heard from him either.

Either way 4 is a pretty good number for this group. lol.

Mark | 481 comments I have finished I will post a link in the end section.

message 6: by Sky (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sky Corbelli | 288 comments Rob wrote: "Sky said he was interested in doing this book, but I haven't heard from him either."

Ah, sorry, I've been busy getting some stuff ready for my editor; I just picked up a copy of the book today. How's the narration on the audio version? I need something to listen to while I churn out some mindless code, and I've already been through my Bella Fleck and Flecktones albums like 3 times this week...

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sky wrote: "Ah, sorry, I've been busy getting some stuff ready for my editor"

Unacceptable. This is more important. Sheesh.

Sky wrote: "How's the narration on the audio version?

Fine, but nothing special. No real voices or accents, but he's easy to understand good inflection, etc.

Mpauli | 241 comments Yep, it's one of the two books I've started yesterday. I'm still in the prologue, but I'm really looking forward to continue it soon. :)

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mpauli wrote: "Yep, it's one of the two books I've started yesterday."

lol. You've gone a bit crazy the last few months.

I'm enjoying Malazan but I can't wait until we're finished simply so I'm not juggling reading multiple books at once anymore.

Mpauli | 241 comments Yep, that was the Malazan downside. With reading the chapters and the huge amount of comments I almost spend 3-4 hours per chapter on Malazan.
And although it was sad to drop the re-read I just got a lot of reading done since then and I'm kind of into the zone right now.^^

message 11: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

You're still reading multiple books at once. Wouldn't it be easier to read to completion then do the next one?

message 12: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark | 481 comments Better late than never Alex. :). Looking forward to your thoughts.

message 13: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark | 481 comments Its a book which flows nice for us readers like authors who write like that.

message 14: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I did it in audio, so I started a little early. I finished today. I should have finished tomorrow, but when I would normally stop for the day, I had less than an hour left, so I kept listening. Lol.

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mostly while doing stuff. While I'm getting ready, driving to work, during short breaks at work (cleaning up dishes/warming up lunch etc), driving home and then about 30 minutes riding my bike.

I have a very short commute (20 minutes each way) but it all adds up and I manage to get over 2 hours a day. It's a large reason why I've done so many books this year.

I'm actually a pretty slow reader.

message 16: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Today I added in making dinner and a little while I was eating to finish,