The Sword and Laser discussion

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
This topic is about A Natural History of Dragons
2013 Reads > ANHoD: Getting a copy in the UK

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Wragg | 3 comments Hi, I'm trying to get hold of a copy in the UK, but Amazon says there is no Kindle or hardback version, and the paper back has not yet been released, it gives a 4th Feb 2014 release date? Have I messed up somewhere, it is "A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent" by Marie Brennan isn't it?

Lindsay | 593 comments I can verify that the eBook isn't available in Australia either and I'm seeing the same 4th Feb release date for the paperback.

Lindsay | 593 comments The Book Depository has it here in hard cover, but I can't find any sellers outside the US for an ebook.

message 4: by Andreas (new) - added it

Andreas Lindsay wrote: "The Book Depository has it here in hard cover, but I can't find any sellers outside the US for an ebook."
It is available on iTunes and for Kindle in Germany. Hardcover as well on the known internet sites.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) Its the problem with new books sometimes they come out in countries at different times or are not available in all formats at the same time.

I am also in the UK and it may mean we need to join in the discussions a bit late.

In the interim we could perhaps find a second book to discuss as well that is available everywhere.

Michele | 1154 comments Can't you just switch your account to american and get it? Then switch back later. I think it's just a setting somewhere in your account info?

I dunno, but I've seen this conversation before here somewhere.

message 7: by Alexander (new)

Alexander (technogoth) | 171 comments Ya I find it weird that ebooks aren't available worldwide via amazon. Not just new stuff but there are older books that I can get from their .ca store that I can't get from their .co.uk store.

Also the price of ebook seems to have sky rocketed lately. This month's pick you can buy from the Canadian Amazon store for £8.15, but up until now I've never paid more the £4.99 for an ebook. Although there seem to more and more ebooks with a price tag closer to £9 these days.

William Wragg | 3 comments Thanks guys. I think I'll wait until it's released in the UK, as changing stores, I believe, will remove my ebooks from the UK store until I switch back. I've got a big stack of science fiction to read, so I'll pull something off that.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) If you do that Michele you are breaching account rules with Amazon and risking losing your copy of the book as well as any other titles you have access to via your amazon account.

As William mentions there are plenty other books us non-usa readers can read in the interim.

message 10: by Louise (last edited Nov 27, 2013 06:40AM) (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments That would explain why I've had trouble getting this one all year. I'd only really checked the Library and abebooks. Other newer releases, like The Republic of Thieves and Happy Hour in Hell, I've managed to acquire by getting on the waiting list early (first in the county for those two).

I'd be happy to do an alt pick - the book is on my Christmas list but I think the cost is going to mean I won't get it anyway. My current To Read pile contains the two books mentioned above and Shades of Milk and Honey (my library just got the whole set of that series recently). But they're mostly series books. I've also recently finished Life After Life and Every Day, but those aren't strictly genre.

message 11: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments Alex: Availability is usually determined by what rights the publisher has bought. It could be US only and another publisher buys British, or North America only, or all English language, etc.

message 12: by Warren (last edited Nov 28, 2013 07:59AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments I suggest making the alternate pick a book with dragons .
One that's available in all formats world wide.
There should be a few of those around.

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments At least you get Alastair Reynolds and Peter F. Hamilton first.

Nicole | 17 comments In Australia, Bookworld has it availabble

message 15: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) True Tamahome - we get our fair share of SF first I would be up for Shades of Milk and Honey as an alt pick as I have it on my TBR pile and have started Life after Life so would be up for finishing and discussing that too.

Shades of Milk and Honey takes the other aspect of the official pic an alt-victorian setting so it would kind of fit as an alt pick.

I see some merit in picking something with Dragons but nothing springs to mind.

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments Changing kindle countries doesn't lose any books, just adds, but I'm pretty sure it's technically pirating.

message 17: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Shaina wrote: "Changing kindle countries doesn't lose any books, just adds, but I'm pretty sure it's technically pirating."

You can buy a book and hand carry it to another country.
The author & publisher get paid.

Lindsay | 593 comments Nicole wrote: "In Australia, Bookworld has it availabble"

Yes, in hardback for AUS$31.50 (and that's the discounted price!) which is about US$28.70 at today's exchange rates. Bookworld has the same February release date as everywhere else on the paperback.

If I was interested in the hardback it would be a lot cheaper to get it from bookdepository.co.uk or fishpond.com.au as both have free shipping.

message 19: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3606 comments Mod
Shaina wrote: "Changing kindle countries doesn't lose any books, just adds, but I'm pretty sure it's technically pirating."

How is it pirating?
It's just circumventing publishers self imposed restrictions.

I want to give the publisher money, but they don't want to take it now for some ridiculous reason :-?

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments Here is the best explanation I've found about why the restrictions are the way they are. http://boingboing.net/2012/06/14/why-... . Pirating may be the wrong term, but it's certainly not above board.

To change your location you have to give amazon (I only know about amazon, not other retailers) a billing address in the country you're saying you're in. If you don't actually have an address you have to make a fraudulent statement about where your address is. I'm currently in Australia, but because I live in the US and my billing address is there I'm able to buy US kindle books. If you are actually in another country or have an address there then it would all be above board. Otherwise you're buying something that can't legally be sold to you.

I've heard of a few people having their amazon accounts locked/frozen for changing locations too many times. It's definitely against the terms of service you've agreed to.

I'm not saying you can't do it or even that you shouldn't. Just that it's not entirely kosher.

Rob  (quintessential_defenestration) | 1035 comments I needed some books when I popped over to oxford for a semester, and I was able to switch back and forth my location without ever losing books. I still have some uk-exclusive ebooks on my iPad.

message 22: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1702 comments Mod
Hey everyone!

Sorry about this! From now on we'll make sure that our picks are more widely available. In the meantime, I'm going to suggest an official alt pick of:

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.

It's a fantastic alternate history of the Napoleonic Wars, in which dragons fight alongside their human riders for the British Aerial Corps. One of my favorites. I'll make an official post about it.

Lindsay | 593 comments Oh excellent, I've been wanting an excuse to read the Temeraire books for ages. That it's a seven book series has been somewhat daunting.

message 24: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Great! Already read it :)

Misti (spookster5) | 487 comments Excellent alt pick! I quite enjoyed it.

William Wragg | 3 comments Yeah a great alt pick. I've already read it, so probably won't read it again, but I really enjoyed it.

message 27: by Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth (last edited Dec 03, 2013 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1908 comments Veronica wrote: "Hey everyone!

Sorry about this! From now on we'll make sure that our picks are more widely available."

Harrumph! Apology not accepted. We who are not in America shall now speak of you as she who shall not be named, because of much anger and disgust.

OR

That's cool. I'm sure we can grab the book if we really want to. No worries, glorious dictatory personage. :)

(you get to pick which response is more fitting. :D)

Thomas Earle (thomearle) | 6 comments I managed to get it via using proxies on audible setting up an account and downloading it to itunes and that worked its a little annoying that it was not easily avialble but I feel like the challenge to get it was in its own way fun and and I managed to get via Sword and Lasers audible address so double win!

message 29: by Art (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 190 comments Hey UK people! I managed to get a copy off ebay. It took a while to get here and it was only when I got it today I released I have the US copy. But it's gorgeous and well worth the wait. Cost me about £13. I believe I got it from The Wordery.

But now I want to read the alt too. So many books! My to read list is ridiculous.

message 30: by Phil On The Hill (last edited Dec 20, 2013 03:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil On The Hill (philonthehillexon) | 245 comments Veronica wrote: "Hey everyone!
Sorry about this! From now on we'll make sure that our picks are more widely available. In the meantime, I'm going to suggest an official alt pick of:
[book:His Majesty's Dragon|288..."

never mind we all learn as we go. Naomi's book is a good alternative.