On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

As I Lay Dying
This topic is about As I Lay Dying
Author: William Faulkner > Jame's Franco's Adaptation of As I Lay Dying

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Heather Fineisen | 64 comments Who, what where?

message 2: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 2121 comments Mod
It hasn't come to a theatre near us. We are still waiting on this one and Child of God.

message 3: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ooh, DVD! Thanks I'll check it out.

Heather Fineisen | 64 comments Oh, thanks! I can't see James Franco in that role...Lol.

Franky | 327 comments I want to see it, although my thinking is that it is way to difficult to present this novel in film just because of the non-linear approach.

I'll definitely check it out though.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Sweeney | 26 comments Know of Franco through my kids i.e. Oz and now his new video. The movie preview looks pretty intense. See where he's also starring in an upcoming flick of Faulkner's Sound & the Fury.

message 7: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well, to kick off our Thanksgiving holiday we watched this tonight. I thought it was good. However, if you had not read the book I think there could be much confusion. I didn't mind the split screen. I actually thought it adds to the chaos. The whole story is pretty chaotic.

Josh | 185 comments Franky wrote: "I want to see it, although my thinking is that it is way to difficult to present this novel in film just because of the non-linear approach.

I'll definitely check it out though."

I think he did a pretty darn good job. Contrary to the majority opinion (from the critics online), I thought Franco's casting was great (including himself as Darl). Anse is damn near perfect, although you can't understand about half of what he says- while true to the flavor of the book it will cause a lot of those who haven't read it to miss some key "Anse-isms" although not many who haven't read this will like it at all; I hate him even worse after the movie. Cash is true to his non-complaining, perfectionist self. Vardaman is played very well by a talented young actor. Nice job Mr. Franco.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched it about two weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. I do agree that the split screen scenes could have been better or not included at all. But I do think James Franco did an outstanding job taking on this massive project.

Anse was PERFECT, I hate him so bad now, but have to admit that his "The lord giveth and the lord taketh away" quote was spot on, his best as Josh said "Anse-ism" in the entire movie.

I am not going to say the movie was outstanding, but Franco did a good job considering how difficult a book with so many main plots and undertones in it can be hard to adapt.

I am looking forward to "Child of God" The previews look great, and the reviews I've read so far a fair to midland, and from the little bit that I've heard about it, there is thankfully no split screening in the film.

Here is a article off of Scott Haze's Wikipedia page about his preparation for filming Child Of God:

It was officially announced in January 2012 that Scott Haze had signed on to play that lead role of Lester Ballard. Haze reportedly worked on the role of Ballard for a year prior to filming and actually moving to Sevierville, Tennessee where the Cormac McCarthy novel is set.

Four months before production on Child Of God began, Scott Haze moved to a secluded cabin in the woods of Sevier County, Tennessee to prepare for the role of Lester Ballard. In this time, Haze went to extreme lengths to prepare for the role of Lester Ballard, including a diet of only apples and one fish a day, losing 45 lbs. Haze also worked on a specific voice for Ballard, as well as his posture and walk, and many other physical and mental traits. It has been confirmed that some nights during this seclusion from society Scott Haze was sleeping in caves, in the hills of East Tennessee.

The only contact Haze had to the outside world was an iPod, which contained Eminem music.

message 10: by J. (last edited Feb 04, 2014 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Keck | 27 comments Saw As I lay dying this past weekend. I agree the split screen was a problem and might have caused Franco some negative reviews from film critics and at film festivals. I found the movie a struggle--much like the book, but it was worth the time and energy to view it. I think it not only captured Mississippi culture accurately in time and in setting. The ending was powerfully executed. The actors deserve kudos. I may watch the film again.

message 11: by Laura, "The Tall Woman" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Without sounding strange I loved Child of God the book but after watching the movie trailer I'm feeling a little hesitant to watch. Such a dark character! I had read the article about preparing for the role and the trailers show him to be well prepared!!!!!

message 12: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments J. wrote: "Saw As I lay dying this past weekend..."

Thank you J, I was wondering where or how you found this movie. Is it on Netflix, or Redbox?

message 13: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Keck | 27 comments John,
I went down to a little shop and rented it.
I'll be interested to read your views.
Til then,
J.

message 14: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments my views? This is one of my least liked Faulkner books. That bit about boring a hole in the casket so she can breath. And all that stinky air coming out. Oh gag me with a spoon. :) I'll see if I can find it. Thanks J

message 15: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
John wrote: "my views? This is one of my least liked Faulkner books. That bit about boring a hole in the casket so she can breath. And all that stinky air coming out. Oh gag me with a spoon. :) I'll see i..."

John, the film is available for streaming from Netflix. I've not even seen it on Red Box.

Mike

message 16: by Franky (last edited Feb 07, 2014 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Franky | 327 comments I just saw Franco's film and can't understand the heaped on hate it is getting in reviews.

I thought the split screen was such a cool touch to the multiple narrative feel. It really does feel so distorted and jumpy like the narrative and story. Also, the characters were nearly spot on, especially Anse. Kudos to Franco for being bold and not making a "sell out" or "Hollywood" Faulkner adaptation, even amid hate and boos from the general public. The film definitely has my vote, and makes me want to go back and read the book again, which is what a film should accomplish.

By the way, those who want to see it, it is on Amazon as a rental for $2.99 (2 day rental).

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Mike. There it is. I'll watch it soon. oh btw let me recommend Jacobs Ladder the movie.

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Mike et al. I finally sat down and watched As I lay Dying movie. What a terrific movie. The split screen added so much depth to the experience. It felt like Faulkner. "Seeing" just brought this all to another dimension. I am constantly amazed of how much I miss when I read. Or at least my retention isn't what it use to be. Guess the only thing to do is go back and read it agan
in

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Mike et al. I finally sat down and watched As I lay Dying movie. What a terrific movie. The split screen added so much depth to the experience. It felt like Faulkner. "Seeing" just brought this all to another dimension. I am constantly amazed of how much I miss when I read. Or at least my retention isn't what it use to be. Guess the only thing to do is go back and read it agan
in

message 20: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Mike et al. I finally sat down and watched As I lay Dying movie. What a terrific movie. The split screen added so much depth to the experience. It felt like Faulkner. "Seeing" just brought this all to another dimension.

I am constantly amazed of how much I miss when I read. The involvement with Dewey Dells' female problems, The barn burning, and Cash's broken leg were news to me to different degrees. Maybe that is why I haven't considered this a favorite of mine. Subconsciously I must known I wasn't getting the full story and was left wanting.

Or at least my retention isn't what it use to be. Guess the only thing to do is go back and read it again.

A terrific movie.

Franky | 327 comments John, I had a similar reaction. There were so many aspects of the novel that I missed. I need to go back and see.

message 22: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John | 533 comments Thanks Franky, It's nice to know I'm not alone.

message 23: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
John wrote: "Thanks Franky, It's nice to know I'm not alone."

I have Franco's "As I Lay Dying" cued up on Netflix. But, haven't gotten to it. I pulled "Mud" out of Redbox today. Looking forward to both of them.

Mike

message 24: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Keck | 27 comments Thanks for your discussion re: Faulkner, his specific novel, and Franco's movie with the split screen et al. I like the different perspectives brought to the table. Thanks again, J.

message 25: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (oblvnnwtnjhn) | 17 comments Note sure if this has been posted, but here: http://www.openculture.com/2014/04/vi...

message 26: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (oblvnnwtnjhn) | 17 comments My pleasure. Hope it's enjoyed.

message 27: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 4115 comments Mod
I just watched the movie tonight. I did not like the split screen effect, but it did make for an interesting perception. I agree with everyone about the casting, every character was perfect, and Anse was vile. Brenda was right about the setting, it was just as I pictured it while reading. Franco followed the book very closely and did a nice job of presenting the different viewpoints. One thing I didn't care for at all was the music.

message 28: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn (goodreadscomdawn_irena) | 252 comments Hi ! Spencer:

Have not met yet but thank you for the Faulkner article . Was a great quote in the article about Mr. Bill saying all people read between the lines their own interpretations according to their experiences. So, each book means something different to everyone.

I really agree with this one because I am an emotional reader. I have always read to comfort, escape, or learn something I want to know!!!

Thanks,

Dawn