FYA Book Club of Charm City discussion

Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
This topic is about Unspoken
Buddy Read Program > Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments The book is divided into 6 parts, in 35 chapters. Want to do a part a day?

message 2: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Unspoken buddy read starts TODAY! You know you want in!!

message 3: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (booksenvogue) | 251 comments Mod
Oh yeah, I've just bought my copy! I thought I already had it, but come to find out, I had Untold. lol. Oh and thanks for your support Elizabeth! You're pretty awesome. I'm now alternating between reading and laundry. I'll post my impressions on part 1 soon.

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

what's up with Jared? Imaginary friend? Yeah right! I have a feeling Kami is not crazy.

Tiffany | 60 comments She's still crazy, whether he exists or not.

message 6: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments I'm enjoying the book so far, even I do not really understand the desire to pursue journalism to all ends of the earth. I enjoy the tone and the quirky characters. Like Angela, I believe there is nothing so nice as a good nap. Also, TWO CUTE BOYS! /swoon

message 7: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

At 15%.....Tiffany, told ya! Too bad he's such a jerk.

Elizabeth, I think Rusty is pretty hot. I've got a thing for handsome red heads :)....besides he likes to teach women to protect themselves. I'm so team Rusty!

Poor Kami. Looks like somebody caught her slipping.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Finished section 2 last night (though I totally suck at not reading/skimming ahead. May or may not have had to obtain book 2 to see if everything works out. And now I need book 3.)

I'm liking it overall. I think more books need more random jokes about Zen jogging. Though I confess that I would like a little more plot. I'm all about relational drama, but it's a little odd that "Oh, yes, someone tried to kill me" has been shunted off to barely flag raising.

Also, Team Jared is clearly the only appropriate team.

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm a little behind. Section two was a way longer than section one. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it) I hope to catch up today. I fell asleep reading last night.

I may be coming around to Jared. I guess once you get pass all that "stay the hell away from me" mess... O__0 ...he's not that bad. *lol* However if I was Kami, I would have seriously kicked him to the curb after that elevator drama. I don't care if he did throw himself into a well. He has a long way to go to beat Team Rusty!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments I haven't read part 3 yet. I thought I'd give you time to catch up. Well, that, and I needed to catch up on my sleep. So finish part 3 today?

Tiffany | 60 comments That works for me. I'm about to finish part 2 and I can read part 3 tonight.

I don't know about Team Rusty but I am Team Find Out Who Pushed Kami Down the Well. That was crazy. Who couldn't be Team Jared after he jumped in the well to save her?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments They are a little like, "Lalala we have relationship ISSUES!" And I'm like, "Um, remember how someone tried to KILL you? Doesn't that rank anywhere on your priority list?"

Tiffany | 60 comments Apparently not. I also need to know if Jared pushed his father down the steps and why. They're too easily distracted from the questions I need answers to.

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

I laughed out loud when I realized I went a whole 3-4 pages before anyone mentioned the attempted murder incident. Where are the police? Who's doing the interrogations? I’m all for Jared acting bodyguard, but really! Is he the only one who gives a damn? Oh and what’s up with his rude Mom? Geez!

I promise to catch up today!

A Book Vacation (abookvacation) I really enjoyed this novel. From Kami’s own eccentricity to her best friends love for napping, I was enthralled with both the characters and the storyline itself. I love Kami’s down to earth banter with her friends, and the revelation behind her “imaginary” friend was really interesting. I loved trying to figure out the many mysteries throughout the novel, such as who was behind the murders, whether or not Jared could really be trusted, how Jared and Kami could be inside each other’s head, who (or what) the Lynburns really were… it was a really fun read all around, and I’m eagerly looking forward to the next installment, especially as I hated the way Unspoken ended. I realize that most cliffhangers today always leave the reader wanting more, and while that’s true with this novel as well, I was hoping for a more happy ending. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not tragic, necessarily, but I was not happy with Jared at all. Not one bit. But you’ll have to read this riveting story to find out, because while you might think I just gave away too much information, in truth, I didn’t… Four stars.

http://bookvacations.wordpress.com/20...

message 16: by Kat (last edited Dec 04, 2013 09:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

58%
I'm ready for section IV now. Their hesitancy to touch each other is ticking me off now. Get over the realness already.

Nice review and teaser Shana (ABV).

message 17: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Yes, the not-touching makes this a very strange romance indeed. And I have to confess that while I find the banter witty and entertaining, I find the book itself kind of dark and heavy. It's an odd mix, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

message 18: by Kat (last edited Dec 05, 2013 04:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm with you Elizabeth. I'm very conflicted. If they don't start touching soon, in a non-perverted way, I'm going to burst! *lol* I mean hold hands or something. Don't jump and act shocked every time you bump into each other. They keep saying how shocking it is that the other exists, but I'm already over it.

Let's see what happens in today's reading section.

66% Finally! Yes it was innocent, but it happened. I'm kind of mad 5 was a really short section.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments The Lynburn family is seriously messed up. It really says something that Jared is the most normal one.

Also, Kami + Jared 4eva!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Done with part 5. Kami and Jared may be the most frustrating book couple ever.

message 21: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep I just finished section 5 also. I agree they don't know what the heck they want.

message 22: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm done and have such mixed feelings right now. I'm going to read the sequel and hope it clears things up.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments I'm'a finish tonight, and then I want to read the next one... Want to buddy read Untold now too? Part a day again?

message 24: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments So...
a.) There was def something going on between Angela and Holly. Interested to see where that will go
b.) Ash gets even fewer points than Jared. "I have mixed feelings about whether I should kill someone" is not sympathetic.
c.) I am still unsure how I feel about book. Like, it so much about an unsatisfying relationship. Basically, I will like it if Kami and Jared work out their issues and end up together. But I am not sure that will happen.

message 25: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sure. I had already started reading but I can slow down for a buddy read.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Yay! I'll start tonight

message 27: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Okay, finished part one. Pleased to see that it has more action and plot than the whole first book put together ;-) But Jared seriously needs to get over himself.

message 28: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah I so don't know how you're even still Team Jared. He's such a chump. Heck even Ash is looking better, and that's saying something.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments But Jared and Kami belooooooooong together

message 30: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments 31% - Have I mentioned how much I love books with equal parts romance/relationships and plots? The importance of this balance is seriously underestimated. Book 2 is doing way better with the balance.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments 41% - <3 Kami's response when Ash reacts inappropriately to lesbians. Must note that anyone who prefers Ash to Jared is clearly taking crazy pills.

message 32: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nope I disagree. The Kami/Jared duo is doomed in my opinion. He's just too darn broken.

Yeah, but I need more romance. It's more like romantic drama. Yet the balance is better than book 1.

Yeah Ash is so immature even before that comment. He wasn't even on my radar. Rusty is the hotness of them all. *lol*

message 33: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments I am starting to agree with you that Rusty would definitely be the wise, stable choice. But I will be on Team Jared forever. I like the broken boys.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments 61% - Poor broken Jared. I loves him so.

message 35: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Who do you think will win the standoff?

message 36: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments You mean, like, the big Rob-vs-Lillian standoff that is the main plot of the novel? Why would we talk about that when we could be discussing the ROMANCE??

But I think Kami will win. At least, I hope so. Though I suppose this story could have epic horrible ending.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments At last! The moment we have all been waiting for!

Other notes: Really, Kami's team is surprisingly ragtag and disagreeable. I'm not sure they will actually accomplish anything. Also, <3 Kami's dad.

message 38: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments Okay, was a day behind because of sickness and frustration with plot, but I have now finished.

Dislikes cliffhanger ending. Must saves Jared! Also, I think the good guys in town are kind of screwed.

Dislikes bond with Ash. Poor Ash is now going to have to listen to her feelings about how much she loves Jared all the time.

Dislikes how Rusty, Angie, and Holly plots just sort of died out, presumably until next book?

Other than that, I liked it. I wants the next one!

message 39: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished also. I was hoping if I paused to read another book I would come back to a miraculous recovery. But sadly it wasn't meant to be. I sure hope the next book is the last book. I'm not sure if my heart can take anymore pain or drama. I've seriously caught feelings for Jared and want to rescue him myself.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments lolz. They will rescue Jared. And he will complete the ceremony so that he and Kami can be linked again, and they will all live happily ever after.

Oh, and they might defeat the bad guy somewhere in there too...

message 41: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

You know they're going to try to toss in a love triangle. Being linked is soooo intimate and Kami's going to develop feelings for uh...what's his name? *scrolls up in feed* Ah yeah, Ash. Then she's going to be soooo confused. They may save Jared, then he'll beat the crap out of Ash. Thus breaking the bond with manual force. Then they will live happily ever after. Thier love will automaticlly kill off the evil like a ray of sunshine into a dark and gloomy room. *lol* I'm being just a tad scarcastic, but I just know we're bound to loose some of that romance/action balance in the last book with the way things ended.

message 42: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Corrigan (elizabethrcorrigan) | 135 comments As long as Jared and Kami end up together, I'm okay with anything that happens in between. ;-)