Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Buddy Reads) > Dec PIFM Buddy Read - Ritual Magic by Eileen Wilks

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Leslie and Diane~Firefly will be reading Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10) by Eileen Wilks during December

message 2: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1964 comments Hi *waves* ~ hope you guys like it! With all your talk of this series on our different threads together I'm going to try to get to Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks in December

message 3: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'm so excited, Melissa! It's really different than anything else out there. Please chat with us - you can come on this thread - as you are reading.

It was a slow build for me and now it's one of my favorites. I'm so sad that I'm at the last book.

message 4: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1964 comments ~Leslie~ wrote: "I'm so excited, Melissa! It's really different than anything else out there. Please chat with us - you can come on this thread - as you are reading.

It was a slow build for me and now it's one of ..."

Ending a series is always a little bittersweet isn't it!! I'll let you know how my read goes :D

message 5: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 721 comments Woo hoo! I'll join in.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Yay, I'm looking forward to it.

@ Melissa - I think you will like it. It is a bit different than most as Leslie says and definitely deserves more attention.

@ Carolyn - glad you are joining us.

message 7: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1964 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Yay, I'm looking forward to it.

@ Melissa - I think you will like it. It is a bit different than most as Leslie says and definitely deserves more attention.

"

I'm looking forward to starting it.

message 8: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments When do people want to start reading this? I have it on my nook, so I can start any time.

Welcome, Carolyn!!

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Mid next week sounds good to me.

FYI, I don't think I've ever done an "official" buddy read before. What are the rules/expectations?

message 10: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I am the wrong one to teach you, Diane! I'm not terribly serious about them. Melissa and I have been doing them for awhile, and basically we just chat about the book as the mood strikes. Most other people have a much more formal structure. I just like a place to being able to "ooh" and "ahh" over a book.
So that's my rules! We start at about the same time. We make comments as we want and check the thread to see what the other person has commented. How does that sound?

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 721 comments I like that's it is not a bunch of questions and is more free form. Whew!

message 12: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments sounds good to me.

message 13: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments How does starting Wed (day after tomorrow) sound to everyone?

message 14: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments I'm starting today.

message 15: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Wow, this grabbed me pretty much from paragraph one. I hadn't read the synopsis in a long time, so I was kind of surprised by what happened. Poor Lily, she can't seem to ever have a nice, simple family gathering.

message 16: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Sorry I've been missing. GR wasn't showing notifications for it.

Glad you started, Diane! I will start on Monday. I'm actually familiar with the beginning because I accidentally started this one then realized I was out of order. It was really hard to make myself stop reading!!

message 17: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I love this part with the family meeting. Lily's family cracks me up and the glimpse into Chinese subculture is interesting.
Its so strange what happened to Lily's mom.

message 18: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I feel so personally involved with all these people, especially Rule and Lily. And I feel so sad that the series is ending that I almost want to slow my reading down and delay it as long as possible. Silly!

message 19: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Is this the last book?

message 20: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments That will make me sad.

message 21: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Just finished! And I don't know if this is the last planned one or not. It seems to me that several things are left hanging, so it can't be the end. Robert Friars is not dead - that was definitely left open at the end of the book. And the war with the Great B**ch is still going on. There's no resolution there. So much more to do in this world.

This one was a little convoluted for me - though I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were just some weird parts and things that didn't feel like they were explained well. And other things that were overly explained!

message 22: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Wow, you read much faster than me.

I just got to the part where (view spoiler) was shot and am shocked. And now I have to take a break to decorate nutter butters and turn them into reindeer.

message 23: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Well I finally finished last night and really enjoyed it. I agree that it seems like there should be more books, but if it had to end, that was a nice place. But I'm hoping for more...

message 24: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments How did your Nutter Butter reindeer come out? Haven't done those before. I've been baking white chocolate/cranberry bread and spicy chex mix. Yum!

I'm hoping more as well. I don't feel like I'm done with these people.

message 25: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments They turned out great. They were a lot of fun to make. I'll try and attach a picture.

description

I also ended up making these for the first time, which turned our really good. Chocolate Chunk Peppermint Pudding Cookies.

The bread sounds amazing!

message 26: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1964 comments Hi guys. Finally got around to starting book #1. You'll think I'm crazy - I couldn't for the life of me remember which group this thread was in. Came here and looked at the dare you to read thread thinking it was there but didn't search to the next thread down,lol.

Diane - those are the cutest reindeer!!
Leslie - hope your bread turned out - it sounds fabulous!

So book 1 - not that far in. Lily has met Rule which I'm assuming is her HEA. She has been made lead on the case - FBI men have stopped in to chat. Not sure they are trustworthy. She has gone to meet her grandmother to talk about the Lupi. Rule is going home todo something with the Council - I forget what. Will have to re-read that. Not sure about his brother Mick and Cullen seems rather odd as does the Club Hell owner. However it is a very intriguing storyline so far!!

message 27: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Yay, glad you found us again and like the book so far.

Lily's grandmother is awesome!!!

Please let us know how you feel about the book as you continue on.

message 28: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Hi Melissa! Glad you found us. I lose threads all the time, so not strange to me.

Love hearing your thoughts on the first book as you get introduced to everyone and to this world. Please check in again as you read more! Diane is right, the grandmother is a hoot and Cullen is like an annoying big brother!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Diane - love the picture of your reindeer. I made a couple of new things this year that turned out really good. It's been fun!

message 29: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1964 comments Just finished this one. *whines* why did I never know about this author before!!???!!

Wow that was fabulous. I'm sad I don't have book #2 ready. Cullen is a nut ~ love him!! Max kinda gives me the creeps - in that older guy creepy lewd way.
Love Grandma! Hilarious when she meets Benedict and Rule. "I do not like your smell, either, but I'm not rude enough to say this." The fact that she is a tiger hahaha.
Not sure I believe that Mick was totally bespelled. It turned out ok in the end but he reminded me of a child that is upset because he didn't get his way.

message 30: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Yay, I'm so glad you liked it. I've been a big fan of the series since it started and am always happy to see new people join in.

message 31: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Yay, Melissa!! Welcome to the fan club. I felt the same way when I started reading it. And it gets better. I feel so attached to Rule and Lily now. Their relationship is so real to me.

message 32: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 721 comments Finished! Here's my review :)

Not really in the romance category in this book. Lily and Rule have one encounter but it's more to get Lily to cool her jets. Past enemies and frenemies are in this book. And even though in our world it's been years from engagement to marriage, to them it's only been about year and they finally tie the knot which seemed to be the shortest chapter there. Great series - one of my favorites.

message 33: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1448 comments Nice review Carolyn. I really liked the wedding.

message 34: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Loved the wedding! So sweet.