Doggies! discussion

Introductions!

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SpiralPup (new)

SpiralPup | 13 comments Mod
I have three dogs, a cat, and one bird, plus an assortment of indoor and outdoor amphibians and fish. I love animals, but dogs are closest to my heart. I hope to some day open a large breed rescue. Let's discuss the best dog books out there, people!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Hammond (GooseBearie) | 1 comments No pets yet. Just a baby, if that counts. lol

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mlyeadon) | 1 comments I have a dwarf hamster. Yes, that's right, a hamster. I want a dog. I love dogs. I need someone to live with me so they can take care of the dog when I'm not around. I'm just too busy for a dog. Damnit! I want a dog!

message 4: by Georgia (new)

Georgia (wait4utopia) | 1 comments I am a single mom...and I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, fish..and my daughter wants to get a snake...alas...I told her that I am up to my eyeballs in keeping the animals we have up to date with all they need...one day when I win that lottery...I am going to get all of the animals that I want...and have a nanny (or two or three) to care for the basics - the baths, the scooping...etc...lol...I want to be that crazy pet lady who scares off all of the children!!! :)

I am glad to be here!

message 5: by Carolina (new)

Carolina | 2 comments i have 2 mix German shepherds....
1 is Bruno and hes like my baby and hes funny....i love him so much!!!...and the other is Laila...shes really smart and she loves to play with the water!!.....

both of them are like my everything!!!....

Xxxlonelyhawtemoxxx | 1 comments i have 2 german shepherds....
i dont really get along with them....!!!
they r really fun to b around but they r too playful, my sister is the one who takes care of them and play with them!!!

message 7: by V (new)

V (vy_viv) | 2 comments I have one black lab. he has white on his paws and a sorta' triangle-shaped patch on his chest (when i put on his bow-tie it makes him look like he's wearin' a tux). His name's Harley.

message 8: by Tleigh (new)

Tleigh | 3 comments I have two dogs: one in Canada, and one in South Korea. My Canadian dog (broke my heart to leave him for a year)is a miniature pinscher. My Korean dog was a street dog that I rescued. I think she is a Pekingese. I also have 3 horses at home in Canada. (I'm working in Seoul for the year)

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori | 4 comments I have 2 rescued dogs: a French Bulldog, and a Boston Terrier.
I also have 4 cats, 4 foster cats, and 4 foster kittens. Yes that is 12 if anyone is counting.

message 10: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (Katieroo) | 1 comments I have three cats, two bunnies, a chihuahua, and a turtle. I want another dog and a parakeet, but my darling boyfriend said no way! ; )

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (hatorisblindeye) Hi, everyone. I have an eight year old chow mix named Bela. He's the love of my life.

message 12: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Matheson | 1 comments Hi! I have a Yellow Lab/German Shorthair Pointer mix named Jersey. She is my heart and so so so cute!

message 13: by Edith (new)

Edith (opheliaflowers) | 5 comments Hi everyone! I have 3 months old puppy named Mimi. A mix between bernese mountain dog and a bouvier des flandres. But she is from a shelter so probably the mix is more complicated than that!

And I had a golder retriever for almost 14 years that died last winter. Still miss her :(

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (1dogluver) | 4 comments Your does dog sounds sooo cute. I am sorry your dog died although it sounds like she had a long happy life! Have you read Marley and Me?

message 15: by Edith (new)

Edith (opheliaflowers) | 5 comments Yes she had a long happy life and she was sick only her last 5 days, so I have no regrets.
My new puppy is my profile picture. :)

Yes I've read Marley and Me in may. I liked it. But it's not the best thing to read when you've lost a dog recently. I should have waited a little longer before reading it.

message 16: by SpiralPup (new)

SpiralPup | 13 comments Mod
wow! Hello all! I fell off the face of the earth for a while when it comes to Goodreads. Good to see everyone is enjoying their pups! Ours are good - just got the teeth cleaned on the youngest because they were baaaaad for some reason. Now she's got a pearly smile and smells great! =) It sounds like you all have some great pets and love them very much - it's good to know. I used to work in animal shelters, and I got so tired of seeing the horrible things people do to animals, that I started hating and mistrusting people. Not a good outlook!

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 26, 2008 06:58PM) (new)

My name is Caroline and I have to miniature schnauzers named Rocky and Bella. So far, my recent pet Bella seems to enjoy where she's living and likes Rocky who's been with me longer.

*NO NAME* SO DON'T TRY! teh awesome dude who says hi i have a terrier poodle named ginger. i got her 2 days ago.

message 19: by Margery (new)

Margery (mutinycb) | 1 comments I had the honor of rescuing an adorable 3 month old black lab last February. McGee is my boon companion, and the best guy ever. If I could rescue every dog in the world I would. There is nothing in the world equal to the love one has for an animal and the love that animal has for the person. Nothing. Indeed, Charles Schultz said it best, "Happiness is a warm puppy." My dog is named after John D. McDonald's famous protagonist, Mr. Travis McGee.

message 20: by Dawn (last edited Dec 11, 2008 08:05AM) (new)

Dawn Margery,
I couldn't agree more. Their love is the best. I now have a 3 1/2 year old rescued black lab (rescued her at 10 months). The human-animal bond is such a blessing. Enjoy your McGee. Our first black lab was Maggie, my soulmate and constant companion. No matter how many dog loves I have I will always miss her...
Enjoy,

Dawn Kairns
Maggie: the dog who changed my lifeDawn Kairns

message 21: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 5 comments AKSquared wrote: "wow! Hello all! I fell off the face of the earth for a while when it comes to Goodreads. Good to see everyone is enjoying their pups! Ours are good - just got the teeth cleaned on the youngest b..."

One of my dogs, a 3 year old, was stolen about 10 years ago. I'm still not over it.

message 22: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 5 comments AKSquared wrote: "I have three dogs, a cat, and one bird, plus an assortment of indoor and outdoor amphibians and fish. I love animals, but dogs are closest to my heart. I hope to some day open a large breed rescu..."

Here is what I can suggest: 1)Cesar, 2)No Bad Dogs, 3)How Dogs Think.

message 23: by Dawn (last edited Dec 22, 2008 04:41PM) (new)

Dawn Hi Glen,
I love your breed rescue dream ... I've done some rescue work and it's so rewarding. I do some writing about shelter and rescue dogs on my blog if you're interested at:

http://www.maggiethedogwhochangedmyli...

or go to my website http://www.dawnkairns.com and click on "Dawn's Blog"

May your dream come to life. If you're into dog stories I can recommend Merle's Door, and of course, my own book!
Take care,

Dawn Kairns
author of Maggie: the dog who changed my life

message 24: by Glenn (new)

Glenn | 5 comments Actually, I was replying to AKSquared which mentions large breed rescue. I simply suggested some books.

message 25: by Dawn (new)

Dawn oops! Enjoy your holiday...

message 26: by Ilene, Brandy and Val, Real Dogs with Real Tales (last edited Sep 16, 2009 10:08PM) (new)

Ilene, Brandy and Val, Real Dogs with Real Tales Fine (httpgoodreadscombrandyandval) | 2 comments I just want to introduce myself. I see all the books on this site are for adults. I do read books about dogs (recently read PawPrints of Katrina) but I recently published toddler board books about my 2 rescues, Brandy and Val. Maybe we need a sub-category since many adults love to read kids books about dogs and love reading them to their kids/grandkids, as well. I use real photographs in my books and the topics are simple: stuff dogs like to do and dogs being dogs. There are 3 books in the series, "Special Story" talks about their adoption and proceeds go back to their rescue. You can also look at my website: http://www.BrandyandVal and I have some articles on Goodreads. Thanks. Brandy and Val by Ilene Fine

message 27: by Neki (new)

Neki Hi everyone!!
I do not have a pet(my dad doesn't allow any pets!)but there's a golden Labrador in my aunt's house whom she(dog)counts me as her owner:)

RocketScienceProductions (RSP_llc) | 1 comments Hi everyone! We are RSP, a publishing company that LOVES dogs. We have two basset hounds (Stanley and Norman). Right now, one of our projects is a compilation book with 'True Dog Stories.' If any of you have an amazing story about your dog that you would like to share, just check out our blog for more info... http://rocketscienceproductions.blogs...

message 29: by Neil (new)

Neil Plakcy (NeilPlakcy) | 2 comments I'm the proud papa of an 8-month-old golden retriever puppy, in the English cream color-- picture a white lab with floppy ears and a foofy tail. Brody is the follow-up for my beloved Samwise, a gorgeous golden who passed away in January at the age of 12.

I was so besotted with Sam that I started writing books about a golden like him-- though one with more of a talent for crime detection. I'm up to three golden retriever mysteries by now: In Dog We Trust, The Kingdom of Dog, and Dog Helps Those, all available as e-books or print through Amazon.

Just finished reading The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn. I love the way he can get into a dog's head-- its very funny and seems very true. This spring I read Desperate Housedogs by Sparkle Abbey, which I really enjoyed.

Give me a mystery with a dog in it and I'm hooked!

Neil Plakcy
www.mahubooks.com

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen (MiniMinx) | 6 comments I have a kelpie x blue heeler x staffie who is my best mate and love of my life. She's 9 yrs old, black and white with spots on the white parts! A real mixture!
I also have two birds - a Lorrikeet (who's a real ratbag!) and a Cockatiel.
I'm passionate about animals and supporting animal causes. I'd own a farm and rescue animals if I could.

message 31: by Sanfordgrant (new)

Sanfordgrant | 7 comments Hi, I have an ark full of pets. Also, I run an all breed dog rescue from my home. I live in an are where there are far too many unwanted cats and dogs. My three personal dogs are A Great Pyrenees, Boxer, and a Shih-Maltese mix. I collect dog related books and cant wait to discuss some here!

message 32: by Lele (new)

Lele | 1 comments I love dog books!! I have a 3 yr old Maltese, and we have 3 cats and a hampster, and 4 people in the home. Its a crowded crazy zoo, but we love it

message 33: by laBalza (new)

laBalza | 1 comments Ciao! I live with 2 italian greyhounds, Fangio and Momo.

message 34: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn (FLDSMDFR) Hi! I have a crazy Golden Retriever, two huge cats, and four birds, and I love them all very much! My Golden is a little over a year old, and my cats are just a little older then my dog. The birds are about two years old.

I wanted to ask, do any of you're dogs have weird things that they do? When mine really wants some kind of food, her tongue with stick out ever so slightly and wiggle really fast up and down! It's so funny and cute!

message 35: by Sanfordgrant (new)

Sanfordgrant | 7 comments My pyrenees teeth chatters if he eats something super delicious.

message 36: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn (FLDSMDFR) Aw! That's so cute!

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments I have a boxer/lab/pitbull mix named Marlo!

message 38: by Jadyn (new)

Jadyn (FLDSMDFR) Oh, that sounds like a really cute dog!

message 39: by Janet (new)

Janet Newport (JanetNewport) | 1 comments I just joined your group. Profile picture is actually Miss Chiff Newport - she's better looking than I am. She's almost 4 years old, currently 70 pounds of go-go-go and views all squirrels as mortal enemies. Also present in the house (besides the hubby) is a tuxedo cat - Doofus, while Agnes & Bess (Rhode Island Red chickens) rule in the backyard. Looking forward to some great dog reads!

message 40: by Luis (last edited Feb 09, 2013 03:18PM) (new)

Luis (goodreadsLuisMontalvan) | 1 comments Greetings to all bipeds and quadrupeds,

Well, Tuesday is my beloved dog although it seems odd referring to him as merely a dog. We look forward to one day increasing the size of our pack, but this small NYC apartment coupled with our travels don't presently make it possible.

Splendid to see all this Love...

message 41: by Sawyer (new)

Sawyer Bennett (Sawyer_Bennett) | 2 comments Hi All! Just joined the group. When I saw the word "dog"...it was a no brainer. I have a Golden Retriever named Piper; she's 10 and a Bernese Mountain Dog named Atticus who just turned 11 months. we are also looking to adopt another Golden. I don't know what I'd do without my pups. I'm a lawyer by day/ author by night and my dogs are with me 24/7. They are my sanity!!!

message 42: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) Hi guys. Love dogs, like cats, wish i had a horse.

message 43: by Mildred (new)

Mildred A. Drost, DVM (MildredADrostDVM) | 3 comments Hello -I have 2 rescued Border collies, a rescued long haired shepherd and a rescued Newfoundland mix, and usually 2-4 foster dogs looking for safe homes. just placed a rescued St Bernard/shepherd mix last week, a Golden mix the week before and some lab mixes before that. I belong to a rescue group and have written a book that you might like 'Until One Has Loved an Animal- How Pets Affected One Vet's Soul' about some of the rescues, my own dogs and rescued cats.

message 44: by Amy (last edited Mar 07, 2013 01:44PM) (new)

Amy | 3 comments Hello - I'm new to the group. I have a Rottie/shepherd rescue and a rottweiler. I had a horse, he lived till 32 (quite a commitment, give it LOTS of thought.) Of the 200 jobs that I have (slight exaggeration,) my favorite is writing. My books have to have a dog in them, it makes me happy. There is a Newfie in my book Finding Catalina that you might enjoy. It's kind of suspense/romance. Happy puppy play and reading!

message 45: by Connie (new)

Connie Newcomb | 3 comments Hi! My name is Connie Newcomb, I am the author of the new book, DOG SHOW CONFIDENTIAL (Sneaking in the Back Door of Westminster)
It is a funny heartwarming story about my adventures in the world of dog shows. I love dogs! Please check out my website, http://dogshowconfidential.com

message 46: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 3 comments Hi! My name is Rhonda, and I have a beautiful long haired dachshund.

message 47: by Abbey (new)

Abbey Hello, I'm Abbey, and I have three dogs. I work part-time at an animal shelter, and, of course, have adopted the more "difficult" dogs there. But they're all sweeties, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Looking forward to getting more dog books recommended, but not sad stories - I hear enough of them in real life. Anyway, I'm from eastern West Virginia and look forward to meeting all of you.

message 48: by M.K. (new)

M.K. Clinton (MKClinton) | 5 comments Hi Everyone,
I can't believe that I just found this group of fellow doggie lovers! I have a Basset Hound, Bentley. We currently have our "granddog" Westie named Pierre. They are both great dogs and get along well. I'm the author of The Returns series and my blog, "Barking from the Bayou" is available to read on my author page. I look forward to making friends and discussing awesome dog books!

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Port | 4 comments These posts are hilarious! I grew up with a couple of Spitz's. You don't see those dogs around much anymore. They were very sweet to us, but not to strangers. Later I had an Alaskan Malamute. She was a true wonder, so loving, and lived about 12 years. No dog now, but we'll be moving in a year or two to a house in the woods, and I would like to have a standard poodle then - I love the way they leap and bounce, and after our Malamute, I can't take any shedding!

If you like, check out my funny children's novel about a little dog trapped in a big dog's body - inspired by our giant Malamute.

http://www.amazon.com/Kibble-Talk-Cyn...