The American Civil War discussion

General Discussion > Anyone interested in specific book threads?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Ramseyer | 2 comments Hi. I'm Theresa - don't remember if I've introduced myself or not.

I have Bruce Catton's The Coming Fury, and MacPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom. I'm considering buying the first Shelby Foote book; Bob's Books is having his sale this week :).

I figure that everyone else here has read those three books. You read faster than I do as well. Would anyone object if I started a discussion topic on each book and comment as I go along?

I'm not sure which book to start with. Basically all I remember about the Civil War is what I was taught umpteen years ago in high school. I have been reading foreign history, and enjoyed it, and it seems really stupid to not at least dip into my own :).

Plus I live in SW MO, not far from Carthage and Wilson's Creek. I have been to the Wilson's Creek National Park, and would like to go back with a better idea of what happened and it's place in history.

Stay dry and warm,
Theresa

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 160 comments Catton is a great place to start. I've read some of his books, not sure if I've read The Coming Fury or not.

If you're near Wilson's Creek you might want to catch up on some of the books written directly about it. I noticed a couple listed on Amazon.

message 3: by Harry (new)

Harry Z | 12 comments Catton was a tremendous experience for me as a youth and it still feels fresh when I read it now. I would love to hear comments on it. As I recall the centennial history (coming fury/terrible swift sword/never call retreat) was the definite entire war read. The Army of the Potomac series was superb as well. Shelby Foote is about as good albeit with a bit of a southern viewpoint. If you ever get to PA or Maryland, by all means see Gettysburg and/or Antietam. They are really very special places with a tremendous array of monuments.

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Hotaling | 73 comments I concur with Harry. Gettysburg and Antietam are special places, but there is just something about Gettysburg that can get under your skin. "The vision place of souls",as Joshua Chamberlain called it in an 1889 speech at Gettysburg.
I am saving Shelby Foote for my first retirement read. Seven years away.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Ramseyer | 2 comments Thank you.

Getting back into the swing of things after the holidays. MSSU (Missouri Southern State University) has Piston's Wilson's Creek, the only one as a general checkout. Also has Pfanz's Gettysburg--Culp's Hill And Cemetery Hill.

I am planning to check them both out tonight.

Theresa

message 6: by Mike (new)

Mike | 113 comments Theresa wrote: . Also has Pfanz's Gettysburg--Culp's Hill And Cemetery Hill.
I am planning to check them both out tonight. ..."

Theresa, you are about to get a very detailed look at the little known northern shoulder of the battle with Pfanz's book. Will be interested to see your review.

message 7: by Harry (new)

Harry Z | 12 comments Yes. Me, too. I picked up a copy of Pfanz's book used. It's on my to read stack but not sure when I'll get to it. Give a review and analysis, Theresa, if you would be so kind.

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Hotaling | 73 comments I have read all three books by Pfanz on the battle of Gettysburg. I agree with Mike that he gives a very detailed account of the battle, using quotes from officers as well as enlisted men. I enjoyed all three books. His writing style is to show what happened in each phase of the battle from both sides. I have often recommended his books to people who are really interested in what transpired at Gettysburg.

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 16 comments Hi all. I feel an updated introduction is in order. I've commented on these Civil War related threads in the past, but it's been a long time now. Recent posts have drawn me back. I believe my previous comments were signed "CJ," but since I see another CJ commenting now,I I'll go with my given name: Carol.

Theresa, I too live in Missouri (St. Louis area) and have become fascinated with the unique dynamics of the Civil War fought in Missouri. I haven't been to Wilson's Creek, but have been twice to Lexington and visited Boonville and Rocheport. The guerilla warfare fought in these areas is legendary and has captured my curiosity. One of my favorite books on the subject is INSIDE WAR by Michael Feldman. Quite a reality check concerning the ruthlessness of these bands of border ruffians, Bushwhacker and Jayhawker both! I would enjoy a discussion of whatever book you've decided upon. I have Battle Cry of Freedom and Catton's books and, like you, have read neither. (SO many books; so little time!) A discussion would be a great motivator!

I grew up in Central Illinois and could probably walk you thru the Lincoln sites blindfolded! Maybe that's why I'm so fascinated by Missouri's version of the Civil War. New ground to cover.

To all: You've got some interesting discussions going here. You've given me a few new "To Be Reads" for my list. Thanks!

Carol B

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Post | 3 comments I'm looking to see what your favorite book on Antietam was? I'm looking for the best prose style I can find while being very sound in the research and analysis as well. Any help woul be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Andrew

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 160 comments I liked the Stephen W Sears book, The Landscape Turned Red (see below for the link).

Another interesting book was William Frassanito, Antietam: The Photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day. He compared pictures taken by Gardner (or whoever) with pictures taken today, also with discussion about the battle.

Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam.

message 12: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Post | 3 comments Thank you so very much for the info Jan. I appreciate it.