The History Book Club discussion

HEALTH- MEDICINE - SCIENCE > 6. STIFF ~ SIX & SEVEN – THE CADAVER WHO JOINED THE ARMY and HOLY CADAVER – (November 25th – December 2nd) ~ (131–164) ~ No-Spoilers, please

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martin (last edited Nov 25, 2013 09:21AM) (new)

Martin Zook | 615 comments "dignity of the deceased"

That's an interesting concept. I'm not sure how much dignity the living are accorded, much less the deceased.

I mean are the tools of love pitched in the throne of excrement so we can be dignified?

There's this wonderful scene in Dream of Scipio where the Roman soldier goes to his teacher Sophia to profess his love. She takes him out back and asks him to look into her midden. Do you love that, she asks, because it's part of me and if you love me you love my excrement.

Is there dignity in other human failings? We start the process of decomposing, or dying as it is called here, in the womb. Most only recognize dying when the inevitable hijacks the equation and the end is undeniable.

Once the body, that betrayer of any pretense to dignity, is sloughed, what need does the deceased have on the illusion of dignity?

The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears Iain Pears Iain Pears

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Flom I'd much rather have research done on dead humans than on living animals.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 55 comments I'm surprised how much controversy there seems to be about research done on cadavers that have been donated for research. I agree with Peter, better the research is done on cadavers than living animals.

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 55 comments I am enjoying it! I had some other things that kept me busy, but I finally have time to catch up with it. I'm glad we are reading this book, I had never heard of it before.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dream of Scipio (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Iain Pears (other topics)