What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Vendetta; or, the Story of One Forgotten
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Novel about a guy who is buried assuming he died of plague [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harish (new) - added it

Harish Ram (harishsram) | 4 comments English Novel about a guy who is buried assuming he died of plague, who upon waking up from cave, where he was dumped, comes out to see that his friend has married his wife.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Ok Harish I have a few questions:

1) how long was he in the cave that his friend had time to marry his wife?
2) When was this written (or when did you read it)
3) What is the story actually about, since I don't think that what you've written so far could take more than say 10 to 15 pages max.
4) do you remember anything about the cover?
5) What about the author--did you have the feeling s/he was a major author or someone not as well known?
6) how did you find out about this book? School, library display, recommendation, strolling around a book store, seeing it in the grocers?

message 3: by Harish (new) - added it

Harish Ram (harishsram) | 4 comments Hi Ann

1. He was in the cave for 2 days are so. But he takes a lot of time to get back to his hometown.
2. I read it 4 yrs back. It was written in archaic language but I don't know when it was published
3. I read about 50 or so pages. The story till then is about two friends in a town set in victorian era (probably Europian) of which one falls in love with a girl and they marry. Being a businessman he leaves out of town often. As the story progresses on day he gets sick which is found to be a incurable plague so after he is considered dead (which happens immediately) the town people shut his body into a cave kind of set up.

4. I read the online version which didn't have a cover.

5. I am guessing s/he wasn't popular but the book really was well written.

6. I am from India. One of our regional films was rumoured to be based on the book so I searched it online and started reading. But my system crashed and I lost the file.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
What's the name of the film that this book might have been based on?

message 5: by Harish (new) - added it

Harish Ram (harishsram) | 4 comments Dasavatharam

message 6: by Kris (last edited Nov 30, 2013 03:17AM) (new)

I see many comments about how the movie Dasavatharam is based on the mathematical concepts of chaos theory and the butterfly effect. Does that trigger any memories about your book?

You mentioned it was written in archaic language. Can you give an example of a book written in this style of language? (Any book theme is fine.)

message 7: by Moloch (last edited Nov 30, 2013 03:20AM) (new)

Moloch | 282 comments My guess is Vendetta by Marie Corelli: not really a spoiler since it's the premise of the book, but anyway: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Good find Moloch!

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dyarch) | 139 comments A film called Marmayogi (not the 1951 one), was to be the next project of the star of Dasavatharam. Dasavatharam does not seem to have been based on a book, but Marmayogi is based on Vendetta, so that is likely the source of confusion.

message 10: by Harish (new) - added it

Harish Ram (harishsram) | 4 comments Thank you Moloch. I checked. It is the same book. superb find.

message 11: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 282 comments Good :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vendetta (other topics)