Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

DUPLICATE/ABANDONED BUDDY READS > Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars #1) by Sara Shepard → Start Date: December 16, 2013

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments Whitney and I will be starting the Pretty Little Liars series on December 16th. Please join us if you can.

message 2: by Ruth Noemi (new)

Ruth Noemi Rojas (httpwwwgoodreadscomcollinss66) | 344 comments I have only read the first one, and I've always wanted to finish the series, so I will read it with you guys!! I'm so excited!!

message 3: by Trinity (new)

Trinity I finished the first one a few hours ago, I will join you guys when you continue onto book 2 (:

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments Cool :) I can't wait

message 5: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments Sign me up! I want to know why this serious is popular and a tv show. I have not seen one of the episodes. I am sure the book is way better.

message 6: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments yay!! I have recently watched a few episodes of the tv series and am really enjoying it. It is what prompted me to pick up the book. I wasn't planning to since I wasn't crazy about the lying game series by the same author. Excited to start. I will be listening to the audiobook.

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Myers | 127 comments I'm on Twisted right now! I love PLL!

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I love the tv series and I've been wanting to read the book for a while, so I'm in!!

message 9: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments yay! thanks for joining us!

message 10: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments Thanks everyone who is joining us :)

message 11: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Myers | 127 comments The TV series I honestly think is better than the books. I'm sorry...

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I'm going to start reading this evening. :)

message 13: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I will be starting this morning.

message 14: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments I will start this afternoon

message 15: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments I will start this evening.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I'm half way done!!! So far it's good but every time I read something that didn't happen in the show I'm like " Uhh, that's wrong, that never even happened. You guys got it wrong!!" But then I remember that the show was based off the books. So they're not actually wrong. :(

How are y'all liking the book so far?

message 17: by Mandiann (last edited Dec 16, 2013 07:14PM) (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I just finished chapter 2. I am listening to the audiobook and the reader is pretty bad. So far I think I liked the show better but we shall see. I liked how the preface went into quite a bit of detail about when Alison was around.

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I agree with you, Mandiann. I liked how they did tell more about when Alison was around.

Off of the PLL tv show Aria and Spencer are my favorites. But in the book I'm not liking them all that much.

message 19: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments Spencer was my favourite off the show. I wasn't a huge fan of Aria on the show. Not far enough to decide which ones I like best in the books yet.

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments I had to charge my nook, gonna start tonight :) sorry for delay

message 21: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments LOL at Spencer (view spoiler)

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments Lol at stuffed pigs name (view spoiler)

message 23: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments Does anyone else find Melissa stuck on herself?

message 24: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments I am having mixed feelings about this book. Instead of the mystery behind these texts/messages, all the other crap that's happening is actually what stands out to me. Are the teens like this? It's kind of scary.
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Megan (last edited Dec 17, 2013 01:20PM) (new)

Megan | 3011 comments @Silvia, I think the tv show is better than the book. The girls aren't really all that mean in the show accept maybe once in awhile and it's usually because they don't like the person. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments Whitney wrote: "Does anyone else find Melissa stuck on herself?"

I agree with you! I never really like Melissa but I don't remember her being like that on the first season of the show.

message 27: by Ruth Noemi (new)

Ruth Noemi Rojas (httpwwwgoodreadscomcollinss66) | 344 comments Hello everyone! I will not be reading this book with you all. This week is a busy week for me at school. I hope you all enjoy it!

message 28: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments Megan wrote: "@Silvia, I think the tv show is better than the book. The girls aren't really all that mean in the show accept maybe once in awhile and it's usually because they don't like the person. [spoilers re..."

Yeah, I read a few reviews and most of the reviews gave great reviewing on the show and terrible reviews on the book. I thought that was funny. I will finish it, but I hope my opinion on the book changes because it's so sad to hate a book. lol.

message 29: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I'm almost done! Hopelessly I'll be done with it by tomorrow afternoon.
It's not as good as I thought it would be but it's okay.

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments Hopefully*
not hopelessly lol ;)

message 31: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments Well, so far, I'm tolerating the book much better. It hasn't been so bad now. I am now currently on Ch. 17.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments I'm gonna be a little behind :( I haven't had much time to read :(

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3011 comments I finished reading PLL. I don't know if it's just me or not, but I didn't really like it all that much. I'm going to read the 2nd book to see what happens in it. But I hope I start liking the series because I love the TV show and I feel kind of bad about not liking to book all that much.

I felt sorry for Spencer with how her parents treated her. :(
I thought that it was just a little too harsh of them to talk to her like that. I understand that what Spencer did was wrong but how about letting her and Melissa deal with it.

message 34: by Megan (last edited Dec 18, 2013 06:49PM) (new)

Megan | 3011 comments Are we going to do a Buddy Read for Flawless

message 35: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments I think I'm gonna back out of this buddy read for now. Is anyone having a hard time getting into this?

message 36: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I am not loving it. I am about halfway through it.

message 37: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments Ok I'll keep going :)

message 38: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Meadows (smeadows1984) | 310 comments OK. So I have finally finished this book. As you already know, I had a very hard time liking this book. I just really couldn't get into it. Yeah, the story moved on, but very little. It dragged ass. There was a little cliffhanger at the end, but not strong enough for me to want to read the next one.

I agree with you that Spencer's family pissed me off. Favoritism and Melissa getting away with murder. And the fact that Melissa didn't do jack squat to Wren for being in her sister's room. I would have beaten the sheisnit out of him. I didn't care for any of these girls. And Ezra, I did like him, but not after that stunt he pulled by calling Aria.

message 39: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I should finish tomorrow. About 66% done. Still not feeling any strong sentiments about the book in either direction. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. Ditto for the characters.

message 40: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments I just finished.

I didn't think it was horrible. I gave it a 2.5 star rating but rounded up to 3. I think I will give book two a try because I am interested in seeing if the girls becoming friends again makes me like the characters better.

I definitely like the tv series better at this point.

I was surprised that this book only seemed to cover a few episodes on the tv series. I wonder how many books equals a season.

message 41: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments How long is a buddy read? I wanted to finish another book that I will finish my tomorrow and then I'll be back to pLL

message 42: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 7495 comments No worries. Read at your own pace. We will be here to discuss it when you are ready.

message 43: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Boatright | 578 comments I'm having a hard time picking it back up. Did you notice this ?