What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's book about changes made to a house lived in by several families over the generations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justine (last edited Nov 24, 2013 02:36PM) (new)

Justine | 2 comments I am trying to find a children's book, but I can't remember the title or author. From what I remember, it's a picture book about a house. One couple chooses a piece of land, builds their house on it, and then the book shows the changes made to the house as various families inhabit it over the generations.

I think that one of the families was of Japanese background, because it was implied that they were deported to an internment camp during WWII, and the little girl hid her doll somewhere in the house, where it was later found by the next family that lived there.

If anybody else remembers this book, I would love to know the name and author! It's been driving me a bit crazy trying to track it down, with no success.

Thank you!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments This Is Our House This Is Our House by Hyewon Yum is a recent book that focuses on a Korean American family.

How many tears ago did you read the book? Were the illustrations cartoony, realistic, colorful, etc?

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine | 2 comments That's not the book I'm thinking of, but thanks.

I know that first one couple chooses a spot of land and builds a house there. When they grow old, they either die or sell the house to the next family, who adds onto it, and this pattern continues, showing various families inhabiting the house and renovating it to suit their needs.

I read the book sometime in the mid-90s, so it was probably published around that time. I believe the illustrations were fairly realistic and quite colourful.

Also, I live in Canada, so it's possible that it's written by a Canadian author, but I couldn't say for sure because I don't remember his or her name at all.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Justine, are you still looking for this?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
No response in 2+ years. Moving to Abandoned.