David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Author Q&A > Cristin Terrill (Author of All Our Yesterdays) Q&A event--Jan 6-12th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Jan 12, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From January 6-12th, bestselling author Cristin Terrill will be coming to our group to answer questions about her bestselling novel, All Our Yesterdays, her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

Cristin has graciously offered us some prizes for participants of this Q&A!

1 Signed copy of her book, All Our Yesterdays--US only
10 signed bookmarks/bookplates packs--International

All you have to do to be entered to win is to ask Cristin a question! How easy is that?

And a reminder to please put your questions in Bold so Cristin and I can easily find them!

And if you haven't checked out her book yet, I encourage you to try it! Its a great time travel/dystopian read!

All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1) by Cristin Terrill

Questions

1. Karen--How did you decide on this story and how the heck do you keep up with all the times and interweaving that a time travel story needs?

2. Lolita--So my questions to the author: how do you explain time travel in your book in a way that make it seem possible and believeable? I am not sure whether this is a spoiler or not, but I would like to know the answer.

3. Lolita--Also I would love to know why you decided to write a story with time travel and what appeals you to this genre?

4. Karen--What does your typical day consist of -- a day in the life of Cristin?

5. Carl--The All Our Yesterdays ended with most of the plot threads apparently tied up. In general terms, where can the sequel go?

6. Carl--Why do you think almost all YA series are part of a series? Why few standalone books?

7. Jenny--The characters in this book were so real and so well rounded, and I love that they all had flaws (some very big ones, too!) Who was your favorite character to write and why?

8. Marni--When coming up with the plot twists, did you know right away where you were going with them or did you bring it all together as you went?

9. Marni--Having you seen you at a signing, you spoke of Doctor Who and all the time wimey. How much did that show affect how you came up with the science of the time travel?

10. Jesse--What inspired you to write a time travel dystopian novel?

11. Ikao-- How did you choose names of the characters? Finn Abbott is such a cute name XD

12. Ikao--What is your favorite book/movie about time travel? maybe the one who made you want to write time travel novel

13. Katherine--How many books are planned for the series?

14. Katherine--Will ALL the characters be present in the next book?

15. The Cover Contessa--I read and absolutely loved your book. My one question would be how the heck did you keep it all straight? I can't imagine that it was easy not to cross over the time lines in your mind. What did you do during writing to make sure things went smoothly?

16. Mimi--Do you think time travel is actually possible?

17. Heather--I haven't read a book about time travel before,How did you decide on characters for the book & the title of the book?

18. Katelyn--I haven't read this book yet but my question for you is did you know where you were going with the book before you started writing it? It seems as though it is a very unique story, one that would be complicated to write.
Thanks for answering our questions! :)

19. Jen--Hi Cristin - I'm a huge fan of time travel stories (HUGE!) and I absolutely loved the way you handled paradoxes in this one. How did you come up with the premise/the science of the way the time travel worked? And are you a fan of theoretical physics in general?

20. Colleen--What was the biggest challenge you faced while writing this amazing book?

21. Justine--Who is Cristin Terrill outside of being an author?

22. Caitlin--How long did it take you to write your first draft of All Our Yesterdays?

23. Caitlin--Do you have any stories in mind for when you aren't continuing with the All Our Yesterdays sequels? Is there anything else you've been anxious to write about?

24. Caitlin--What did your revising process look like?

25. Kelly--Just wondering, All Our Yesterdays relied heavily on plot twists, a really intelligent read that certainly kept me guessing. As an author, are you able to keep spoilers under wraps in any way, or do you just rely on early readers keeping their mouths shut?

26. David--Do you like animals? Do you have any pets?

27. The Cover Contessa--Do you have plans to write in a different genre in the future? By that I mean still YA but perhaps a different sub genre? Do you see yourself branching out in that way?

28. Kathryn--What advice would you give to people trying to write their first novel?

29. Ashlee--What was your inspiration to wright this book? What do you do when you get writer's block?

30. Ikao-- What is hardest scene you wrote in AOY? I honestly think chapter 38 to 39 is the hardest part to read because I cried on those 2 chapters lol.

31. Ikao--Would you mind to introduce who is the cute boy who potrayed Finn in AOY book trailer?

32. Mei--Of all the characters, which one do you think you see yourself in the most?

33. Dianne--Once you started,did the characters help lead you in the direction the plot was going, or did you still lead them?

34. Jenea--What inspired you to write and what is your writing process like?

35. Dre--- If you were to time travel, which point in your life would you go back to? Would you change anything in it?

36. Dre-- Since this book is about time traveling, I'd like to know if you're a Whovian. Are you?

37. Dre-- Imagine your characters are on Survivor. Who will they vote out of the book?

38. Dre-- What book are you ashamed to have read?

39. The Cover Contessa--If you could co-author a book with any other author, who would you want to choose? give us a realistic answer and then one that would be out of this world!

40. Kenna--When writing, did you have any specific faces in mind for the characters? If the book were to be adapted into a film which actors do you think would best fit the characters?

41. Rachel--(view spoiler)

42. Cynthia-- When you wrote AOY, did you envision that it might be used to teach reading? Any advice on great discussion questions?

43. Cindee-- So what is your favorite time travel story besides your own of course?

44. Cindee-- I'll ask um....what did you have to for dinner? And do you like to cook?

45. Emalee-- How long was the entire process from start to finish (to publishing)? At what point in your life (post grad, professional) did you begin to write AOY?

46. Ikao--Do you consider to send your contemporary novel to publisher?

47. The Cover Contessa--Did you cry at all when writing/reading AOY? If so, for who or why?

48. Karen--Can you tell us anything about the sequel and it's expected release?

49. Layla--Was any chocolate maliciously (or innocently) consumed in the writing of AOY ;) ?

50. Rachel--1. Team Edward or Jacob?
2. Team Simone or Jace?
3. Team Gale or Peeta?
4. Team Pirate or Ninja?
5. ... any other teams I'm forgetting.

51. Catherine--I only wish to know "HOW" the heck were You able to create such an AMAZING story; Characters, Plot,, Start,,, Middle,,,, Ending., Action,, Suspense,, Humour And that, "Can NOT put this Book Down Syndrome"!.., into ONE book??

52. Carl--Why the switch from third-person past to first-person present?

53. Carl--Most YA is written first person. Why do you think so?

54. Mei--What's your favorite part in writing the world building?

55. Mei--Any plans or ideas on what your next novel will be after AOY2?

56. Shay/Shelver--What input, if any, did you have in the cover design? And when you daydreamed about your cover, what did you have in mind? (I love seeng/hearing about alternatives.)

57. Jenny--Who are your favorite authors ever? And what authors have had the biggest influence on your work?

58. Karen--Any favorite TV shows that you are addicted to?

59. Karen--Favorite coffee (or tea)?

60. Isis--Are you an avid reader? If so, have you always been? How do you feel that has influenced your own writing?

61. Isis--How did the idea for this book come to you? Was it just a vague 'concept' that you built out? Did one of the characters come to you and tell you their story? . . . And do you remember what made you decide make the story into a book?

62. Kelly--Clearly you're a natural storyteller, but was writing always something you imagined yourself doing?

63. Holly--When you're writing, do you follow an outline that has everything plotted out? Or do you let the characters and the story take you where you need to go? If so, were there any plot twists that took you by surprise or did the characters do something you hadn't planned on?

64. Holly--If you're an avid reader, what's your favorite genre to read? Are you currently reading anything?

65. Jenny--What makes you a writer, and is there any other jobs you have if your not writing?

66. Elizabeth--What made you turn to Dystopian Genre? Are you a fan or did the book just flow? As a writer, I am interested to know.

67. Jenny--What is your favorite thing about being a writer? What is your least favorite?

68. Kelly--How do you cope with not so favourable reviews? Is it difficult to separate yourself from your work, or do you tend to take criticism personally?

69. Karen--What has been your favorite fan moment as an author?

70. Karen--Who do you consider to be your most valuable critic?

71. Kathryn--Have you ever done NaNoWriMo?

72. David--Earlier you mentioned you keep your butt in your chair until you hit your word count goal. What is your daily word count goal? Does it change from day to day?

73. Jenny--I didn't know you wrote fan fiction! What kind did you write?

74. Marium--Hey, Cristin. I guess it's clear enough that you must like reading so are you a bookworm? If yes, were you always one or did you start being one after a certain phase in your life? Also, do you have any particular reason in turning to books or is it just that you love reading stories (because at times, you know, one turns to them to seek the adventures they can't really experience in real life)?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 258 comments This is amazing, I thought the book was brilliant, one of the best I've read all year. Here's my review if anyone is interested.

message 3: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
YES!!! A big thank you to Jenny for persuading Cristin Terrill to join us!! And of course a HUGE thank you to the author, this means the world to our group!!

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments I loved loved loved this book! It was non-stop action. I can't believe she was able to keep all of it straight in her head to write it out! How exciting to have her here in the group!

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awesome!! Glad you're a fan too Brooke!

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollyb_nc) This book will most likely end up being my #1, absolute favorite book of 2013 when the year ends. And this is in a year when I read several other *brilliant* books, including THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater, the UNBREAKABLE/UNRAVELING duology by Elizabeth Norris, and SPLINTERED and UNHINGED (I'm halfway through the ARC right now) by AG Howard. I was just blown away by ALL OUR YESTERDAYS and I can't wait to read it again and see what I missed the first time! :-)

Anyway, great news that she'll be joining the group for a Q&A!! I'm putting it on my calendar NOW :D

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

YAY, Holly! I also loved this book, the Raven Boys and Unraveling and Unbreakable!! You have good taste!

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

So cool Holly!!! I think a lot of people will feel the same way :)

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Holly wrote: "This book will most likely end up being my #1, absolute favorite book of 2013 when the year ends. And this is in a year when I read several other *brilliant* books, including THE RAVEN BOYS by Magg..."

I LOVED Unhinged. That is becoming one of my all time favorite series for sure!
This book was fabulous! I can't wait for #2!

message 10: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Rhea | 15 comments This looks like an exciting book, that I have added to my "to read" shelf, and look forward to hearing the discussion with the author.

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) Loved this book, the plot twists were incredible! Looking forward to grilling her :D

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Marilyn wrote: "This looks like an exciting book, that I have added to my "to read" shelf, and look forward to hearing the discussion with the author."

I think you'll love it Marilyn!

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Hi Cristin! So happy you're doing this Q&A with us! I'm a huge fan of your book! Time travel, to me, would be such a tough genre to write. You did magnificent!

How did you decide on this story and how the heck do you keep up with all the times and interweaving that a time travel story needs?

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Thanks for getting us started, Karen!

Cristin has so graciously offered up some prizes for participants of the Q&A! Check it out on the top message!

message 15: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I haven't read this book yet, because to be honest I am not a big fan of the time travel genre, although I have to admit the blurbs sounds interesting. I am a bit of a critical reader and every explanation for time travel just seems a bit incomplete or missing something.

So my questions to the author: how do you explain time travel in your book in a way that make it seem possible and believeable? I am not sure whether this is a spoiler or not, but I would like to know the answer.

Also I would love to know why you decided to write a story with time travel and what appeals you to this genre?

message 16: by Karen’s Library (last edited Jan 05, 2014 10:08AM) (new)

This is one of my favorite questions!

What does your typical day consist of -- a day in the life of Cristin?

message 17: by Carl (new)

Carl Schierhorn (cschierh) | 20 comments The All Our Yesterdays ended with most of the plot threads apparently tied up. In general terms, where can the sequel go?

Also:

Why do you think almost all YA series are part of a series? Why few standalone books?

Good question, Carl!

message 19: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Great questions so far!

I've mentioned it before, but I really love this book!

My first question:

The characters in this book were so real and so well rounded, and I love that they all had flaws (some very big ones, too!) Who was your favorite character to write and why?

message 20: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (last edited Jan 05, 2014 04:01PM) (new)

As a reminder, if everyone can post their questions in bold typeface, that helps both the moderators and the author locate your questions :) Thanks for all the great questions so far!

message 21: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) I met her in October at a book signing. She's so bubbly. I loved this book and look forward to this Q&A.

message 22: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Yay, Marni! You'll have to come up with some questions for her! I've loved chatting with her on email, she is very friendly and fun!

message 23: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) When coming up with the plot twists, did you know right away where you were going with them or did you bring it all together as you went?

message 24: by Marni (new)

Marni (wonderwmn999) Having you seen you at a signing, you spoke of Doctor Who and all the time wimey. How much did that show affect how you came up with the science of the time travel?

message 25: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 166 comments what inspired you to write a time travel dydtopian novel?

message 26: by Ikao (new)

Ikao (ikaoduck) | 5 comments I really love characters' name on the book!
1. How did you choose names of the characters? Finn Abbott is such a cute name XD
2. What is your favorite book/movie about time travel? maybe the one who made you want to write time travel novel

message 27: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Paschal | 54 comments How many books are planned for the series?

message 28: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Paschal | 54 comments Will ALL the characters be present in the next book?

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments I read and absolutely loved your book. My one question would be how the heck did you keep it all straight? I can't imagine that it was easy not to cross over the time lines in your mind. What did you do during writing to make sure things went smoothly?

message 30: by Ziyue (new)

Ziyue (ziyue13) | 4 comments Do you think time travel is actually possible?

message 31: by Heather Bell (new)

Heather Bell | 57 comments I haven't read a book about time travel before,How did you decide on characters for the book & the title of the book?

message 32: by Katelyn (last edited Jan 05, 2014 08:05PM) (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) I haven't read this book yet but my question for you is did you know where you were going with the book before you started writing it? It seems as though it is a very unique story, one that would be complicated to write.
Thanks for answering our questions! :)

message 33: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 1222 comments Hi Cristin - I'm a huge fan of time travel stories (HUGE!) and I absolutely loved the way you handled paradoxes in this one. How did you come up with the premise/the science of the way the time travel worked? And are you a fan of theoretical physics in general?

message 34: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 3 comments What was the biggest challenge you faced while writing this amazing book?

message 35: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinen) Who is Cristin Terrill outside of being an author?

message 36: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (caitlinsiem) | 409 comments Thank you for your time Cristin!

How long did it take you to write your first draft of All Our Yesterdays?

Do you have any stories in mind for when you aren't continuing with the All Our Yesterdays sequels? Is there anything else you've been anxious to write about?

What did your revising process look like?

message 37: by Cristin (last edited Jan 06, 2014 02:21AM) (new)

Cristin Terrill (cristinterrill) Hi, everyone! First of all, thank you so much for reading the book and a HUGE thanks to you all, especially Jenny and David, for having me! I'm so excited to be here and to answer your questions.

1. Karen--How did you decide on this story and how the heck do you keep up with all the times and interweaving that a time travel story needs?

The idea for the story came from a hundred different places, but I can trace the bulk of it back to three different elements coming together.

a) One night when I couldn't sleep I ended up watching THE TERMINATOR on cable and started wondering what the story would be like if the killer robot from the future was actually the good guy instead of the villain. Then, because I write YA, I wondered what it would be like if he was a teenage girl.

b) I have this theory about teen television (of which I watch waaaaay too much) that the best friend/brother of the Obvious Love Interest always ends up being the more interesting and usually more suitable love interest, but I always wanted to try to make that dynamic work in a book.

c) I was looking at old pictures of myself from high school and thinking about how I wasn't nearly the hideous loser I was convinced I was at sixteen.

Those three things eventually came together in my head and formed the main backbone of ALL OUR YESTERDAYS.

As for keeping track of the various timelines and plot elements, I tried to create about a hundred different systems for keeping that stuff straight (spreadsheets, notecards, mind maps, you name it), but in the end nothing really worked for me except sitting down and THINKING THROUGH every step. So I spent a LOT of my time writing this book with my head down on my desk trying to figure out just what the hell was going on. It was a real mental challenge to write sometimes, and my brain usually felt like oatmeal by the end of the day.

2. Lolita--So my questions to the author: how do you explain time travel in your book in a way that make it seem possible and believeable? I am not sure whether this is a spoiler or not, but I would like to know the answer.

Well, my version of time travel is scientific as opposed to magical/fantastical, and it's kind of timey-wimey. (Sadly I didn't ACTUALLY figure out how to time travel.) I gave it a scientific explanation that I hope sounds plausible enough to allow you to suspend your disbelief and enjoy the story but would never actually work in the real world. I deal with the notion of paradoxes by positing that there's a sentient aspect to time and that it actively resolves paradoxes itself by favoring action over passivity. It's all basically nonsense, of course, but I hope it's internally consistent enough that you can buy into it.

3. Lolita--Also I would love to know why you decided to write a story with time travel and what appeals you to this genre?

It's not so much that I decided to write a time travel novel as that I got this very particular idea and it just happened to be about time travel. But I've always loved time travel stories. I think what appeals to me about them most is how dense they can become, especially on an emotional level. A relationship or an interaction can resonate on many more levels and take on lots more meaning, because there are many more layers to that relationship or interaction, past, present, future, etc. I'm having sort of a hard time explaining what I mean, but I hope that makes some sense.

4. Karen--What does your typical day consist of -- a day in the life of Cristin?

LOL, mostly it's pretty boring. :) I'm a full-time writer, so I usually sleep in (I'm a night owl, as you can probably tell by the fact that I'm answering questions at 2am), spend an hour or two catching up with email and social media when I get up and then go to the library, Starbucks, or the Writers Room DC to write for a couple of hours. A few times a week I teach creative writing classes for kids and teens with a group called Writopia Lab in the afternoon. At night I usually try (try being the operative word) to go to the pool to swim laps for awhile, and then I end up reading or watching TV or obsessively scrolling through Tumblr until the wee hours. That's a pretty typical day. Up until last month I was traveling a LOT and doing lots of conferences and events to promote the book, which was so much fun but also pretty exhausting, so I'm happy to be back to my typical boring life for awhile.

5. Carl--All Our Yesterdays ended with most of the plot threads apparently tied up. In general terms, where can the sequel go?

I get this question a lot, because, yes, the book does end with very few loose ends so everyone wants to know what can possibly happen to the characters after AOY ends. Buuuuut since this is a universe where time travel can exist, the story doesn't have to be about what happens to them after AOY.

6. Carl--Why do you think almost all YA books are part of a series? Why few standalone books?

I think it's probably a combination of factors. I think publishers like series because in some ways they're less work. Once the first book is out, you've got a built-in audience, you've established an aesthetic as far as the cover and whatnot, and you've got a relatively known-quantity on your hands with the following books. And if you're a writer, if you've gotten used to READING series, you're more likely to start conceiving your own stories in that format, just like if you read a lot of short stories you'll probably get more short story ideas. So a cycle is established there.

That said, I do think publishing is moving away from series more and more. Trilogies used to be practically de rigueur for genre YA but now duologies are suddenly where it's at (I totally came up with my duology before it was cool! ;)). I think you'll be seeing more and more standalones in the future.

7. Jenny--Who was your favorite character to write and why?

It changed a lot. At first I definitely enjoyed Em the most. She was the first character I really GOT, and her voice came through really clearly for me. But after I re-hauled Marina's character pretty significantly and figured out who she really was, I started to really love writing in her voice. I know a lot of people (justifiably!) find her pretty insufferable, but I love her! She is so, so different from me, and so she's really interesting for me to write. And of course, writing Finn is always a lot of fun!

Kelly (Diva Booknerd) (divabooknerd) Hi Cristin, big fan of All Our Yesterdays.

Just wondering, All Our Yesterdays relied heavily on plot twists, a really intelligent read that certainly kept me guessing. As an author, are you able to keep spoilers under wraps in any way, or do you just rely on early readers keeping their mouths shut?

message 39: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

You're so welcome, thanks for coming to our group!!

I'm a night owl as well, although I did try to go to bed on time. Didn't work! lol

I LOVE Finn, I think he's my favorite character, but I also loved Em, and surprisingly, I liked the younger James. He seemed so vulnerable.

message 40: by Cristin (last edited Jan 06, 2014 02:22AM) (new)

Cristin Terrill (cristinterrill) 8. Marni--When coming up with the plot twists, did you know right away where you were going with them or did you bring it all together as you went?

I'm very much a planner. It's hard for me to start writing a book unless I know pretty much exactly what's going to happen in, so I'd figured out all the major plot twists before I started writing.

9. Marni--Having you seen you at a signing, you spoke of Doctor Who and all the time wimey. How much did that show affect how you came up with the science of the time travel?

I don't think it affected the science portion very much, but it probably did affect my approach to explaining the science. One thing I learned from DOCTOR WHO is that, ultimately, no one cares HOW the sonic screwdriver or the TARDIS works. They're devices used to tell good stories. That's kind of how I feel about the time machine in AOY.

10. Jesse--What inspired you to write a time travel dystopian novel?

I think I pretty well covered this in my first answer, but I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you, Jesse! :)

11. Ikao-- How did you choose names of the characters? Finn Abbott is such a cute name XD

Haha, thank you! The names came from a lot of places. Finn's name probably has the least reasoning behind it. He was always "Finn" to me for some reason, which I also thought worked for his character because it's a more modern name than something like James but also not too trendy. I'm pretty sure he ended up getting the last name "Abbott" because I was rewatching episodes of Everwood while I was writing the book. Not a great reason, but the true one. :)

James is James because it's such a classic, strong name and very upper-crust-y. I liked the idea that he would go by his full name instead of a nickname like Jim or Jamie, which is probably more common, but that Finn would have this ridiculous and totally inappropriate nickname for him ("Jimbo"). His last name of "Shaw" is a reference to the Shaw family of The Manchurian Candidate, which was one of the inspirations for the book.

Marina is Marina for a couple of reasons. I needed a name that started with the letter because, obviously, of Em. I needed that roundabout nickname to make it seem like Em and Marina were different people. I ended up going with Marina because a) I like the way it sounds and I think it's unique without being weird and b) I liked the parallel I could draw between my Marina and the character of Marina from Pericles, Prince of Tyre. I have a masters in Shakespeare, so my books usually contain a lot of Shakespeare allusions. Marina was a princess who lost everything that ever mattered to her but ultimately got most of it back, though not without sacrifice. Her last name of "Marchetti" came from a similar place as "Abbott." I was also watching the third season of Damages while writing the book, and there was a character named Danielle Marchetti who was mentioned by her full name about seventeen times an episode. It got stuck in my head, and I liked the sound of it.

Most of the other names just sounded right to me, but a couple do have meanings. Most notably, the soldier Connor is an allusion to THE TERMINATOR, which was a major inspiration for me.

12. Ikao--What is your favorite book/movie about time travel? maybe the one who made you want to write time travel novel

So many. I adore the entire TERMINATOR franchise, all the movies (even the third one!) and especially the tragically short-lived television show. And of course DOCTOR WHO, as well as LIFE ON MARS and I'm sure there are others. As for books, A WRINKLE IN TIME has always been one of my favorite books.

13. Katherine--How many books are planned for the series?

Just the two! Although I'm also hoping to release some related short stories before the second book comes out.

14. Katherine--Will ALL the characters be present in the next book?

Wish I could tell you. :)

My one question would be how the heck did you keep it all straight? I can't imagine that it was easy not to cross over the time lines in your mind. What did you do during writing to make sure things went smoothly?

Lots and lots of thinking things through. I got very confused very often.

16. Mimi--Do you think time travel is actually possible?

Time travel IS possible. It happens every day, although so minutely that we don't notice. Time and space are inversely linked, so if you're traveling very quickly, time actually slows down for you. So if you took a plane to China, you would have aged very slightly less than someone who wasn't on that plane. If you extrapolate that, space travelers could travel for a year in space and come home to find that fifty years have passed on Earth. But I seriously doubt the kind of time travel that exists in ALL OUR YESTERDAYS will ever exist. Most physicists agree that time travel to the past is probably impossible given how we think the universe works.

17. Heather--How did you decide on characters for the book & the title of the book?

The title, like many things, is stolen from Shakespeare. The book still didn't have a title when my agent and I were getting ready to submit it to publishers, so I thought of all the speeches about time from Shakespeare that I could and there was a soliloquoy in MACBETH that jumped out at me. "All our yesterdays" is a phrase from that soliloquoy. To be honest, I didn't think it mattered because I was sure the publisher would change it, but they liked it!

18. Katelyn--I haven't read this book yet but my question for you is did you know where you were going with the book before you started writing it?

Yes, I had it very well planned out before I started. That's really the only way I can work. I need a roadmap.

19. Jen--How did you come up with the premise/the science of the way the time travel worked? And are you a fan of theoretical physics in general?

I'm a big physics geek. I find it really fascinating, so I've read a bunch of books on the subject and I have like a million episodes of NOVA and Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on my DVR. As for how I came up with the science, I mostly just cobbled together bits and pieces I've learned over the years and hoped people would buy it! :)

20. Colleen--What was the biggest challenge you faced while writing this amazing book?

Keeping everything straight in my own head and trying to be clear without over-explaining things were both constant challenges, but honestly, this book came to me much more easily than anything else I've ever written. The stars just kind of aligned for this book.

21. Justine--Who is Cristin Terrill outside of being an author?

Haha, I'm working on figuring that out, actually! Writing and publishing and being an author has kind of eaten my life over the past couple of years. Nearly everything I do is related to it in some way. My goal for this year is to bring some balance back into my life.

22. Caitlin--How long did it take you to write your first draft of All Our Yesterdays?

The first draft took about four or five months if I recall correctly, which was the fastest I'd ever written a first draft before.

23. Caitlin--Do you have any stories in mind for when you aren't continuing with the All Our Yesterdays sequels? Is there anything else you've been anxious to write about?

No! My mind is completely consumed with AOY2 right now, and there just doesn't seem to be room for anything else. I'm hoping that will change, although part of me is constantly terrified I'll never have another idea again. :) I do have a couple of ideas from years ago that I'm hoping I may find the passion for again once all the time traveling is out of my head.

24. Caitlin--What did your revising process look like?

There were really only three big changes this book underwent between my first draft and what you read.

First, I originally wrote the book in third-person past tense, and it's now in first-person present. So that was a fairly major change which necessitated me literally retyping every single word, couldn't cut and paste a thing!

Second, the original draft didn't contain the flashes that Em and Finn experience or their fear that time's going to erase them. Sometimes I even forget that, because those things are such FUNDAMENTAL elements of the book now that I can't imagine it without them!

The last big change was to Marina. I originally wrote her much differently. She was a lot sweeter, and it just didn't work. I think I was trying to write her insides as her outsides, if that makes sense. It wasn't until I understood that she had this shell of a spoiled, shallow, prickly girl that she wore as armor that the character really came alive for me.

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

WOW, incredible answers so far, Cristin, and thank YOU for your generosity in spending your valuable time with us, as well as donating such amazing prizes to the group :)

Do you like animals? Do you have any pets?

The Cover Contessa (thecovercontessa) | 239 comments Do you have plans to write in a different genre in the future? By that I mean still YA but perhaps a different sub genre? Do you see yourself branching out in that way?

message 43: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee Chmielewski (goodreadscomashleechm) What was your inspiration to wright this book? What do you do when you get writer's block?

message 44: by Ikao (new)

Ikao (ikaoduck) | 5 comments I already asked, but I still have plenty questions *_*

1. What is hardest scene you wrote in AOY? I honestly think chapter 38 to 39 is the hardest part to read because I cried on those 2 chapters lol.

2. Would you mind to introduce who is the cute boy who potrayed Finn in AOY book trailer?

message 45: by Mei (new)

Mei (yeltminky) Of all the characters, which one do you think you see yourself in the most?

message 46: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (dianne212) | 6 comments Once you started,did the characters help lead you in the direction the plot was going, or did you still lead them?

message 47: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I haven't thought of a question that hasn't been asked, but I just wanted to say that I thought the time travel was very well done - it made sense and was so interesting.

Also the "love triangle" didn't bother me - which was a major thing - I stopped reading YA for about a year because the love triangles were annoying me so much.

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say how much I liked the book. I'm glad it wrapped up enough that I can recommend it to my friends who don't read series, and I'm happy there is another book coming!

message 48: by Heather Bell (new)

Heather Bell | 57 comments How did you decide on the characters? How did you decide on the title?

message 49: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Heather, if you look above a little bit, Cristin already answered this question :)

message 50: by Jenea (new)

Jenea (alohanea) | 3 comments What inspired you to write and what is your writing process like?

« previous 1 3

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All Our Yesterdays (other topics)