The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

A Voyage to Arcturus
This topic is about A Voyage to Arcturus
Group Reads 2013 > December Group Read: A Voyage to Arcturus

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments A very tight vote this month which resulted in a tie between the Lost World and A Voyage to Arcturus. I have created two separate threads to stop spoilers for anybody who plans to read both books.

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments Kindle edition of A Voyage to Arcturus is available from Amazon for $0.00. It's also free from Project Gutenberg.

message 3: by Adelaide (new) - added it

Adelaide Blair This is a very strange book. I am about 1/4 in and have given up trying to make sense of things. As far as I am concerned, it is an odd, but melodious dream.

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments Adelaide wrote: "This is a very strange book. I am about 1/4 in and have given up trying to make sense of things. As far as I am concerned, it is an odd, but melodious dream."

I agree with you totally, the more I read the less I understand but I'm not half way yet so it may yet become clear. I guess I haven't read much sci-fi from this era but it's certainly not how I imagined it was going to be. Anyway that's no bad thing and I am really quite enjoying it.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jo | 1092 comments I've finished the book now and I did enjoy it. Since I've finished it I've been thinking about it quite a lot which can only be a good thing. Still not totally sure I understood it properly so that means 3 stars but for me was definitely worth reading.

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments I'm about a quarter of the way along, and it's not going quickly. So far, it seems much more like fantasy than science fiction.

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments If this were made into a movie, I could see (a younger) Woody Allen playing Maskull.

Buck (spectru) | 899 comments A Voyage to Arcturus is bizarre and absurd. Finally, about halfway along, I have decided to abandon it. I just can't continue reading it. It has become more tedious than enjoyable.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new) - added it

Rosemarie | 472 comments I read this earlier in the year and agree that it is a very strange book. I really don't know what to make of it.