Struggling Writers discussion

Stuck on Your Writing? > What do I do when the story keeps going after 50k

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments So, I know that 50k is technically a short novel; however, it is the novel length we are all shooting for to win NaNo. I recently realized that I am only nearing the 'halfway' point in my storyline at 40k and have found that I am not the only one with this issue (at least on the NaNo forums).

Is anyone else finding that they are here with me?

Are you a seasoned NaNo and have been here before and have some tips to share?

message 2: by Shlomo (new)

Shlomo (shlomoreuben) | 48 comments I completely agree with you Irene. I'm not even half past the novel size. Only about four chapters out of fifteen. And I've reached about 46k words. And there's a lot to write even after Nanowrimo gets over.

As you might already know, Nano is for bringing out the best in writing, and helps us in breaking the barriers of different writer's block. Which I hope everyone must have crossed them already.

The only worry that stays is that of what happens when all the Nanowrimo fire burns out. I would believe in continuing to keep challenging yourself into keeping the writing going and completing the novel. And when it's done, go for the review. And finally when all has been completed, start with another novel, without taking a break. Else, taking a break might bring back the writer's block. In fact, I would think to write a new novel, immediately after I do not feel I have much to write about in my current one.

Maybe, we could keep pushing ourselves, or even help push others into cheering and inspiring others into the writing count regularly, if we have some folders for it to keep our motivation going.

message 3: by L (new)

L Last year i took part in NaNoWriMo for the first time ever, and i wrote the 50,000 words (1/4 of my novel). Due to health reasons i was unable to continue writing my novel, despite the fact that i was desperate to keep writing my novel as it was only partially completed.

I had made a start...and that was an encouraging thought! I had actually begun to write a novel rather than talk about writing one.

This year (i suppose against the rules) i continued from where i left off with my novel and so i have now completed just over 1/2 of it! My novel is long and i am sure that there will be a lot of editing to do after all of it is written...but i am pleased that there is more done.

Writing a novel can take years especially if it is long and detailed. I could take part in two more NaNo's and still have a lot more to do before i would concider it finished as such. I found that NaNo helps to keep me fixed on writing the novel and getting as much of it done as possible as without the daily challenge of hitting a word count, i probably in all honesty would not have written as much as i have now nor would i have made the dream into more of a reality.

If i take a break i fear that i may never finish and after 2 years of NaNo the worst thing would be to have an unfinished manuscript in front of me. No, i have to continue on and keep going as getting into the habit of writing each day is only normal for published authors who are used to it. I am hoping that if i try my best to write a bit each day then i wont just need NaNo to spur me on and encourage me to keep going...as i will be able to do it myself!

There are so many distractions in life and excuses one can make. I really want to finish this novel and so as long as i maintain that energy found in NaNo then it looks to be possible!

{just watch this space...}

message 4: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Shlomo wrote: "I completely agree with you Irene. I'm not even half past the novel size. Only about four chapters out of fifteen. And I've reached about 46k words. And there's a lot to write even after Nanowrimo ..."

Yes, I am going to continue onward with my word count. However, I am making so major life changes within the next year or so, so a completely new novel (unless I participate in NaNo) is not in order. I have a couple works I need to finish though....in addition to this years NaNo piece.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Lucinda wrote: "Last year i took part in NaNoWriMo for the first time ever, and i wrote the 50,000 words (1/4 of my novel). Due to health reasons i was unable to continue writing my novel, despite the fact that i ..."

Well good luck to you! I write 750 words on a daily basis (whether it is towards a project or just me writing). So I know that is a completely manageable amount and will go with that as my minimum once school and everything else starts back.

message 6: by L (new)

L These past two days i was taken in ambulance to hospital, and so i have been unable to write ~ hence it is a good thing that i reached the NaNo word count target when i did!! I am now back at home {thank goodness} and so i hope to get back to writing my novel...although, i am not sure if i will be able to manage the 2-3,000 word count that i did each day.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Lucinda wrote: "These past two days i was taken in ambulance to hospital, and so i have been unable to write ~ hence it is a good thing that i reached the NaNo word count target when i did!! I am now back at home ..."

Poor you, Get well soon Lucinda

message 8: by L (new)

L Thanks Sarah :)

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Get well soon Lucinda! What was the matter?

message 10: by L (new)

L Jessica wrote: "Get well soon Lucinda! What was the matter?"

Kidney trouble. Had problems with Kidneys for many years and so needed to be rushed in pronto.

Never mind...i shall get back to my novel asap. :)

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Lucinda wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Get well soon Lucinda! What was the matter?"

Kidney trouble. Had problems with Kidneys for many years and so needed to be rushed in pronto.

Never mind...i shall get back to my no..."

Painful, I used to suffer from kidney problems in my late teens and early twenties, and thankfully after my son was born it went away on it's own!

message 12: by L (new)

L {Kidney stones are increadibly painful, and they keep coming back grrr!...not nice}.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Lucinda wrote: "{Kidney stones are increadibly painful, and they keep coming back grrr!...not nice}."

I find if I drink what sounds to be a disgusting concoction of lemon juice olive oil and honey (the latter is only there to make the other two components palatable) I don't have the problems, you drink it for a maximum of three days every couple of months it flushes out the stones, or so the reckon.

Right back to writing, I have been lazy today, not a word has been written, except on Twitter, and GR...Bad Girl!

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene (wingdesilverii) | 2500 comments Lucinda wrote: "These past two days i was taken in ambulance to hospital, and so i have been unable to write ~ hence it is a good thing that i reached the NaNo word count target when i did!! I am now back at home ..."

Get well soon! Kidney stones suck, been there done that and don't care to go back again.

message 15: by L (new)

L {Having to drink around 3Litres a day roughly is tiring. I feel like a tank!}

...as to my novel it remains on hold. I don't want to have a repeat of last year and complete NaNo & then not continue till next november, next year! That would be terrible. Besides, it would mean another re-fresh to remind me of characters and what's happened...with the plot and story so extensive now, it wouldn't be practicle to do that anyway.

I shall get back to it as soon as i can. December {and Christmas} looks like it might be a busy one, and so i don't know whether i should perhaps take a break over this month & with my health as it is and continue the 1st of Jan?? I could set-up for myself a January National Novel writing month kind of thing? I want to stick to the daily word count, but also feel physically well enough to be able to sit down and write and concentrate like i have been for NaNo this month.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments 3 litres sounds an awful lot, I thought you could also drink too much, doctors, one day they will make their minds up one way or the other.

I sympathise, I really do, I know what it's like to have to balance your writing with your health. I had a speight of that whilst writing my second book, and why it over-ran my estimated 6 months by almost a year!

Now I limit the time I write, and move away from the computer and do other stuff. Also I have my office on the spacious landing now which means I have to go up and downstairs quite often, forcing me to exercise! My current WIP Growing Old Disgracefully is at just over 27000 words and growing daily. Some days 500 words some days 2000, I now just go with the flow, instead of trying to force the issue, and I never work weekends or Wednesday's, especially this near Christmas I have stuff to do before I am descended upon by my family.

message 17: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Cully (jgcully) | 31 comments I find 50k is is about right for my stories, though after editing and drafting it normally gets boosted up to about 60K. I have yet to write a longer story requiring anything more than that. But time will tell!

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) This thread was moved to the Stuck on Your Writing? folder as of 12.18.13.