The Magical Universe of Books discussion

Author's Corner: Yourself/Books > Kath Middleton - Message in a Bottle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments I have always defined myself as a reader who reviews but recently I've begun doing a little writing. I began with a few drabbles - 100 word stories - which have appeared on several forums and websites.

I recently teamed up with Jonathan Hill, a talented drabbler and short story writer. He has already produced a book of 100 drabbles but today he and I together published 120 drabbles.

Beyond 100 Drabbles by Jonathan Hill

This book has been a lot of fun to put together and I hope some of that comes across in the stories. I have just written a longer work which is now in the draft/re-draft stage. Jonathan has several books available on kindle but this is my first publication and it's a bit exciting. Within a couple of weeks we hope to have it available in paperback too! Whoopie!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) I've bought my copy - good luck with the release!

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks Michael. I blame - sorry, thank - you for my longer work, as you know! :)

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Once you've caught the bug there's no escape :-)

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Congratulations on your first book Ignite. : )

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks Linda. Feels strange to be honest! :)

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks so much to Linda for our first review - and what a cracker it is.

Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Brilliant mix of stories with quite a few laugh out loud ones. I even kept my poor hubby awake insisting that he "really has to hear this one", It is unheard of that I would read a book a second time but with this one I think I will be making an exception.

I'm blushing! That doesn't happen often!

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda You are very welcome. It really is a great book. You should be as proud as punch!

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Excellent review!

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Jonathan's elated too - it's great to get off to such a good start. :)

message 11: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments Ignite wrote: "Thanks so much to Linda for our first review - and what a cracker it is.

Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Brilliant mix of stories with quite a few laugh out loud ones. I even kept my..."

Oh, this is so excellent, Ignite. I am very happy for you. How does it feel to see your name out there, for people to buy your book?

Well, I just got my copy of Beyond 100 Drabbles. I think I will have a little look before sleeping. I have never read anything from Jonathan but I always read good reviews for him.

description

Enjoy!

Come on, readers out there, support ''our'' very new author Kath, aka Ignite. It is not too expensive at £1.69

Amazon.co.uk >>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-100-Dr...

Amazon.com >>> http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-100-Drab...

Amazon Espana >>> http://www.amazon.es/Beyond-100-Drabb...

Amazon France >>> http://www.amazon.fr/Beyond-100-Drabb...

Amazon.Italia >>> http://www.amazon.it/Beyond-100-Drabb...

Amazon Allemagne >>> http://www.amazon.de/Beyond-100-Drabb...

message 12: by Kath (last edited Nov 24, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Would you like a job as my personal assistant Frenchie? Thank you so much for the lovely bouquet and the bottle!

We have our second five star review, on Amazon this time, and Rosen Trevithick has interviewed me for her blog.

Am I allowed to post the links here?

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) It sounds like things are really coming together for you Ignite. Fantastic!

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks Flo. Its quite exciting.
And it's a mere £1.60. You can save a whole 9p!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Sold! to the lowest bidder!!
I shouldn't really - but what the 'eck!!

I read some of the sample and particularly liked Drabble no 3 - A Birthday Surprise

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments That's one of Jonathan's -mine have KM next to them. Dead technical eh?

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Just popped a little post on my blog about writing as a team.
http://ignitebooks.blogspot.co.uk/201...

message 18: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments Ignite wrote: "Would you like a job as my personal assistant Frenchie? Thank you so much for the lovely bouquet and the bottle!

We have our second five star review, on Amazon this time, and Rosen Trevithick has..."

Of course, you are allowed to post links here. This is not AZ, no ''no shameful self promotion'' here LOL LOLLOL.. . We do shameful self promotion on the MUB .

message 19: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments ( totally O.T. but..hmm... I'd better add and clarify for the newcomers who read this and think they can flood/spam the forum.
Self promo is not the carte blanche to post in every post, every forum LOL...it means promote where it is relevant.
)

Now to continue, please Ignite, post your links. I love to follow links. You never know where they take you...

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) You could end up in Timbuctoo at this rate Frenchie! lol

message 21: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments I'll put them on tomorrow then. Thanks. I'm not on my laptop at the moment. :)

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Here are our two Amazon reviews - very chuffed with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 25 Nov 2013
By M.J.Diack - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Beyond 100 Drabbles (Kindle Edition)
This was my first venture into drabbles and I'm glad I bought it. What I was impressed with the most was the flow of the writing, everything gelled together seamlessly and I whizzed through the book in one sitting but found myself going back to re-read a few favourites. I have no doubt I'll be dipping into it again in the near future as well. It contains some fantastic writing as well as being perfectly formatted for the Kindle.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Variety of Little Gems, 24 Nov 2013
By sujay - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Beyond 100 Drabbles (Kindle Edition)
I started this with the intention of reading just a few of the drabbles but was soon hooked and before I realised was half way through the book! There are over 100 totally different drabbles and each one is as good as the next. I love the very unique challenges in some of them where one author starts and the other author finished, often taking the drabble in a totally different direction to the one I expected it to go.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone, but especially those who love a bit of variety in their reading. You will experience every emotion going as you work your way through the book, and I can't wait to read more by both authors.

And links to Rosen Trevithick's interviews. she interviewed us on separate days - to see if we stuck to the same story, I think!

Jonathan's interview - http://www.rosentrevithick.co.uk/302/...

And mine - http://www.rosentrevithick.co.uk/303/...

And if you have been, thank you for reading! x

message 23: by Suze (new)

Suze | 764 comments Just got my copy.

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks Suze. I hope you enjoy it. It really was great fun to write.
Breaking news - I wrote the first paragraphs of my second solo book last night! I'm hopelessly smitten aren't I?

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) You're one of us now :-) Good luck with the new project.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Good luck Ignite. What genre is your solo book?

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments I'm useless at genres! The first is set in early medieval times. If it has a theme it's that you choose who you are. You aren't totally dependent upon your genetic inheritance. It's in the editing/beta reading stage at the moment.

The second is set in the present day - it's about rebuilding, I suppose. Early days with this one!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Sounds good to me - I'm reading a mediaeval era book at the moment - The Pillars of the Earth. What is beta reading??

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Oh I've read that. It's a stonking read! Read it on holiday several years ago.

Beta readers are people who read a book through before it's published - they pick up typos, any plot holes, ask you what the heck you were thinking when you wrote THAT bit - stuff like that. It's a term that I believe came from the world of computer programming - Michael Brookes can probably confirm or deny this! The person who writes the computer code is the alpha user and the person who tries it out to see if it works is the beta user.

message 30: by T4bsF (Call me Flo) (last edited Nov 27, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Is that why the Beta video system was always second in line to the VHS system? lol ;0))

I'm usually pretty good on picking up typos (mostly to people's annoyance) - not sure I'd spot the plotholes though!! I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!!
Although I did pick up on a medical point in a book I read recently!!

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments I hope it wasn't written by a doctor? Doesn't give you confidence! Haha!

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) No, thank goodness. It wasn't an actual mistake - it just stretched the realms of possibility a bit far. I'm quite used to "discussing" things with Doctor's though - they usually came round to my point of view in the end. I was quite ferocious when it came to getting the best for the patients whose care was my responsibility.

message 33: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments My first 'solo' book is released today.

Fourteen year old Romelda Bolt lives at a time when a woman is a man’s property. Her parents, promised wealth by a local lord three times her age, marry her off. A brutal and bullying relationship is born.
Romelda’s life will change the course of history in her village. Can she and her pet raven change the family’s future too?

A novella of approximately 40,000 words.
Ravenfold by Kath Middleton

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravenfold-Kat...

http://www.amazon.com/Ravenfold-Kath-...

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Good news - I've bought my copy!

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thanks Michael. Hope you enjoy it. :)

message 36: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (last edited Jan 06, 2014 08:38AM) (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments Kath wrote: "My first 'solo' book is released today.

Fourteen year old Romelda Bolt lives at a time when a woman is a man’s property. Her parents, promised wealth by a local lord three times her age, marry her..."

Oh, it sounds so good Kath. I have bought it and you will have the honour to be my first book on the 2014 Reading Challenge!!! Yeah.
I also sneaked into my sister Geraldinea's account and got it for her and my son's and daughter's kindle too.

We need to boost your sales LOL

Good luck Kath. I am really thrilled for you.

message 37: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thank you so much Frenchie! It's good to have so many interested people supporting my first steps!

message 38: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments Kath wrote: "Thank you so much Frenchie! It's good to have so many interested people supporting my first steps!"

I believe it is because you are a very nice lady and everyone wants you to succeed. :)

message 39: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments *blush* :)

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Just got my first review! I'm dancing!

This debut novel described as medieval noir held me captive alongside it's young heroine Romelda. Rarely have I enjoyed a book so much.
The depth of historical detail, underpinning wisdom and down to earth speech tinged at times with humour brought both the story and characters to life, and as it transported me back in time I lost myself in the way only the reader of a `ripping good yarn' can.
The book starts with a grand-father in the role of storyteller narrating a tale to keen young ears but as the story develops we learn that he speaks of their family's own history , by this point I felt that I was sat alongside the children eagerly anticipating the next chapter.
I raged at injustices as they were revealed and openly groaned as death inevitably followed. As revenge was justly delivered I gave an inward cheer and then slowed my reading pace as the story reached it's memorable conclusion so reluctant was I to have it end.
The ravens brought a fabled quality to the book and the hint of supernatural forces at play was truly inspired. I enjoyed every page!

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Here's my first Author Interview - as it's on Jonathan Hill's blog - don't expect it to be too serious! :)

http://www.jhillwriter.com/2014/01/in...

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Thank you Frenchie for the fantastic review of Ravenfold

So glad you enjoyed it!

message 43: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments Oh, please Kath, next time, put a warning for cry babies like me. I had to use the kitchen roll because I had run out of tissues LOL.
Seriously, thank you for a beautiful but very emotional read. Well done.
Oh, I will put the review here on GR too. I forgot this morning. Take care :)

message 44: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments I've just found another 5* review from author Andy Barrett too. Chuffed! Yes!

Sorry about the kitchen roll Frenchie. I prefer to tell a story about the strength of human beings, rather than just a sweet little tale. People CAN surmount tragedy.

Think of Pillars of the Earth or Game of Thrones and you're more or less in the right era and have the right atmosphere for Ravensfold. This is a cleverly conceived and well executed short story that explores the life of a family who marry off their young daughter, Romelda, for the chance of land and power. What happens to Romelda is quite shocking, but what the family endures is equally horrid - until we reach the beautifully constructed end.
Kath Middleton's writing is very well matched to the subject and her obvious knowledge of the past and the way in which people lived back then is excellent and adds a good slice of authenticity to the story.
This is a very enjoyable tale told in a stark yet gentle fashion, and has a strong theme and great characters. Highly recommended.

message 45: by Frenchie, Look who the books dragged in (new)

Frenchie | 1437 comments I read it was your birthday Kath. :-)

description

I hope you had a lovely day...

message 46: by Linda (new)

Linda Enjoy your day Kath

Birthday Comments

~Magickal Graphics~

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments thank you - It was! I had a lovely day and we spent the evening with some friends. And I'm such an amateur I didn't even tell them to buy my book!

I'm sure I'll get better/worse when the next is out! ;)

message 48: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Book blogger Joo Stacey has given me an 'author' interview! Now I feel I've made it!

http://joobook.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01...

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (technohippy) Good interview - I've shared the link.

message 50: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 245 comments Cheers, Michael. Now I'm on Will Macmillan Jones' blog! Blogs are like buses - they all come at once!

http://willmacmillanjones.wordpress.c...

« previous 1