Amazingness and Reading discussion

Miscellaneous > Required Reading Assignments

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Alva (new)

Alva | 219 comments So, the majority of members here are teenagers, who still have to fight with reading assignments in school.
What books did you have to read? Did you like them? Do you like required reading assignments or do they annoy you?

message 2: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 493 comments I read nothing but the truth... -.-

message 3: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) The outsiders
Of nice and men
To kill a mockingbird
Animal farm
Julius Caesar
Lord of the flies
Scarlett letter (going to read)
Huckleberry Finn (going to read)
Jane Eyre (going to read)

message 4: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 493 comments I drew on the cover of nothing but the truth!! I am a bad person I know....

message 5: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 493 comments I had to read flipped, nothing but the truth, homecoming, tuck everlasting, walk two moons(I loved this book), outsiders, the adventures of Tom Sawyer, and I am forgetting so many :p

message 6: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments @Zeina- i read I am the cheese XD not for school tho

message 7: by readeraz (new)

readeraz (zoethereader) | 493 comments Cassie XD

message 8: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments ...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I had to read To Kill A Mocking bird, which I liked
Hope was here, which I also liked
20,000 leagues under the sea which I DESPISE
The Hobbit and The Fellowship of The Ring, and I didn't like them. The over description nearly killed me
A Seperate Peace. More with the unnecessary description
Uh...I can't remember anything else

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I have to read Of Mice and Men right now. This better be brilliant

message 11: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) That book is so sad!!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) is it a good sad like TFIOS or a bad sad

message 13: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) Umm sort of in between.... I wish it hadn't happened but the way it happened was sweet if you think about it...

message 14: by Cat (new)

Cat  (cat335) | 214 comments Zeina wrote: "I have to read I Am the Cheese -_- Yes, the book is as stupid as it sounds. I Am the Cheese by Robert Cormier"

That name XD

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Nothing but the Truth
Call of the Wild
Miracle Worker
Number the Stars
Out of the Dust
the Hobbit
The Giver
Solder's Heart
As You Like It (shakespeare's WORST comedy)
Romeo and Juliet
To Kill a Mockingbird
Flowers for Algernon
The Sea Wolf
Of Mice and Men
The Adventures of Huck Finn
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
Lord of the Flies
just started reading Othello

message 16: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments After reading i am the cheese..i was just sitting there like "so...what was the story?!" XD i had to read like 10 reviews to understand it

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh and I had to read Romeo and Juliet...and Julias Caesar...and Bud, Not Buddy

message 18: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) Nothing!!! Bhwaa hahaahahaa hahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments MissBloodsucker™ (shadowraith) wrote: "Nothing!!! Bhwaa hahaahahaa hahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

no? why? XD

I think I did Shiloh once..and the Door in the Wall

message 20: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) 'Cause I practically only study Math, Science and English, no reading assignments! HEHE!!!!

message 21: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) Not. Fair.

message 22: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) lol hehe!! I might have to next year tho............going back to school and all!

message 23: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) Yeah you prbly will... They really aren't that bad. I'm actually looking forward to my required readings this year! XD

message 24: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) Really? That's great then, I guess........I've been a little scared of the Shakespeare stuff tho!!

message 25: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) As long as your teacher helps you with all the Shakespearean talk you should be fine... Most books also have translations on the opposite sides of the page. That's how I made it through Julius Caesar

message 26: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 104 comments We mostly read Hebrew classics, such as Someone to Run With (yes, it was translated to English). This book was kind of boring, but it has a strong message about the Israeli society.

Soon we're going to start reading the awful Hebrew translation of The Catcher in the Rye. I'm planning to read it in English before the school will ruin it for me.. :P

message 27: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) HAHAHAHA!!!!! They actually have translations?? T-that is SO funny!!!! XDD But yeah, the Shakespearean talk is very confusing to me :-/

message 28: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) Once you get the hang of it it's not that hard

message 29: by Izzy (last edited Nov 23, 2013 10:31PM) (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) Okayyy, well that's good to hear!! :DD *wipes brow*

message 30: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 104 comments Yes, of course we do.. I mean, most of the kids in my year barely know two words in English so the most difficult book you can expect of them to read is a ten-pages-something-about-cute-ducks book.

message 31: by Resa (new)

Resa (dunstan) | 4 comments This year we are mostly reading short stories. My freshman year we read Finnikkin of the Rock which is a really good book. And last year we started to read To Kill a Mockingbird but we didn't finish it. So far this year we have read The Tell Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe and one of his other short stories.

message 32: by Alva (new)

Alva | 219 comments Natalie (Never trust a duck) wrote: "I have to read Of Mice and Men right now. This better be brilliant"

Oh, Natalie! I have to read that too!
However, I have to read more in German than in English. I'll spare you my German reading list. In English we didn't have to read books until two years before this one. (We were too bad xD)'Til now we've read Animal Farm, some Judy Blume sh*t, Holes and of course now Of Mice And Men...

message 33: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments MissBloodsucker™ (shadowraith) wrote: "'Cause I practically only study Math, Science and English, no reading assignments! HEHE!!!!"

reeeally? :O What program do you use? I have to do art, art history, reading, and geography too XD

message 34: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) o_O Program?

message 35: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments uhh...system? XD

message 36: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) ........I'm still confused! :-/

message 37: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments :/ like I use the Calvert Homeschooling system..
hehe nevermind then XDD

message 38: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) Nooo, I don't use a system, I go blind!! XPP jk, jk! We used to use Oak Meadow, but we stopped using it about 4 years ago, I think.......

message 39: by Lve2read (new)

Lve2read | 3 comments Well, i'm in the middle of an essay i have to write based on the book i read called 'boy in striped Pajamas' based on the time of Hitler, and i didn't enjoy reading it at all, especially coz the boy (main character who was german) got gassed to death. and the boy was only Nine yrs old, which is what made it more horrific coz he was 'innocent', the fact he had know idea why people in the distance 'fell to the ground' and had to be carried away... so yeah pretty sad :(

message 40: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments Oh that was a book? I thought it was only a movie...
wow that sounds depressing..

message 41: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments MissBloodsucker™ (shadowraith) wrote: "Nooo, I don't use a system, I go blind!! XPP jk, jk! We used to use Oak Meadow, but we stopped using it about 4 years ago, I think......."

XDD oh

message 42: by Izzy (new)

Izzy (izzybookholics) Lve2read wrote: "Well, i'm in the middle of an essay i have to write based on the book i read called 'boy in striped Pajamas' based on the time of Hitler, and i didn't enjoy reading it at all, especially coz the bo..."

I watched the movie. Depressing is the best way to describe it for me. :((

message 43: by Sapir (new)

Sapir | 104 comments I cried for hours after I finished The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas.. I was only 10 years when I read it and I still remember it as if I've read it yesterday.. =/

message 44: by Stormy (new)

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 305 comments I have to read of mice and men after Thanksgiving break. Anyone here read it?

Natalie (Never trust a duck) I have to read it that exact time too!

message 46: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) I've read it:)

message 47: by Stormy (new)

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 305 comments It's so short though.. I'm quite surprised.

message 48: by Tia (new)

Tia (tia_jenkins) But it's still good;)

message 49: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (lunaluv934) | 1303 comments I have to read the Giver later

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel  (APCB Reviews) (gr8rach) Miss Oddball (Shadowraith's Apprentice) wrote: "I have to read the Giver later"

EEWWW

« previous 1