The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Group Reads 2014 > Monthly nominations and what to do when multiple winners

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Following up from a question in the current month nominations, currently we have 4 nominations in the group poll each month with the 4 most popular nominations being chosen. Would people prefer that all nominations are polled or do you want a new limit? If more do you think there should be a limit on the number of books by the same author?

If we increase the number of nominations there is more chance of multiple winners. As an example if we had 4 winners in a month would you want them all as a group read or would you prefer to put them in another poll and have 1/2 winners?

Any other comments with regards to the nominations or any ideas how other groups do it?

message 2: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments I don't see a strong need to limit it to four. We could have a tie-breaker poll. If there's still a tie, we can read two books in one month - especially if they are novellas, or have one pre-selected for the next month, at the moderator's option. Maybe if we read two books in one month they could be compared to one another in the discussion.

For the purpose of generating discussion, I expect it would be more productive to have members all reading the same books. That is to say, not choosing which of two or more books to read if there is a tie. Of course, group members can always choose to read what they want to, regardless of the poll.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4025 comments Mod
We're a small group (152 members) & a quick look at the polls shows only 17 votes for the last one, 6 more than the previous one. Based on that, I'd say 4 books is plenty to vote on, but I hate artificial limits.

In some groups, no book gets on the poll unless it is seconded. That might be a good starting point to keep the number we have to choose from down & give them a reasonable chance at success.

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 22 comments Jim wrote: "We're a small group (152 members) & a quick look at the polls shows only 17 votes for the last one, 6 more than the previous one. Based on that, I'd say 4 books is plenty to vote on, but I hate ar..."

That is sort of what we do now isn't it? Have an informal vote in the nomination thread? If 4 don't get seconded you can go with the first nominations. It encourages people to jump in early with nominations.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 22 comments Tie breaker polls are good because they encourage debate and discussion in the nominations thread.