The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaigns, #1)
This topic is about The Thousand Names
The Shadow Campaigns > TTN: Section 3: Chapter 11 - Chapter 16

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (last edited Dec 02, 2013 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark | 481 comments Interesting set of confrontations in these chapters. Nice to see the nasty side of Janus.

message 2: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6373 comments Mod
Things are finally picking up!

I figured Fayor was going to use magic to save Bobby. I had no idea Bobby was a woman too. Rather difficult to believe coincidence that she ended up under Winter, but minor nitpick really.

We finally get an idea of not only what Janus is up to but where the name of the book comes from.

I wonder what the thousand names is exactly. This makes me think Janis being the wizard more likely, but the female scribe is an interesting suspect.

She shows up after Fayor does her magic on Bobby. Fayor warned Winter that it would be detectable to the mage and Winter has a weird sensation after shaking her hand.

message 3: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill | 1596 comments Bobby being assigned to Winter's company does seem unrealistic but like you said doesn't really matter. It did make me wonder about the size of the two countries fighting the war.

It looks like maybe the Thousand Names pass certain abilities to their possessor. Feor gave Bobby one of the names that allows for fast healing. If this turns out to be the case I don't see how the Vordani would be able to stand up to an army armed with the Thousand Names.

Mark | 481 comments Alex, I never noticed the janus thing, interesting.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't trust Janus. The duplicity of his nature wouldn't surprise me.

Richard Eyres (richardeyres) OK, I am way behind on the discussion. I think Alhundt was too obvious, but there was the part when they are shaking hands that some 'thing' emerging from the woman's skin and snaked up Winters arm (page 267). Was this real? and if so, does Alhundt know about it? Is she the wizard (even if obvious) or just an instrument of the wizard? Will be nice to find out.

Bobby being a female was a shock. I did not see that coming. Very strange that Winter would have been assigned the company with another female - but that could be down to some other mystic stuff. After all, it was hinted that Winter sort of followed the healing ritual. Again, interesting to see where this goes.

The battles have been good. Reminds me a lot of Sharpe by Bernard Cornwall. The singing of the priests remind me a little of the Zulus.

All in all, I am enjoying this book - even if there is a lack of some fantasy elements so far. The characters are capturing me (Especially Winter - there is something more to her than meets the eye).

message 7: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, this series is pretty light on the fantastical.

Conor | 57 comments Maybe the whole Bobby winding up in Winter's company thing isn't that much of a coincidence? Maybe there are more women in the army than we think... I mean are we absolutely sure Marcus is a bloke? :D

message 9: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fairly sure, or he's hiding it from himself too.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Yeah don't much trust Janus either even though I like his character. Was nice to see the facade crack some at the end of this section.

Think someone mentioned it last section, but I think the Mage is Jen, the scribe. Her showing up after the healing, asking Winter if this was her tent, after Feor mentioned that the magic might draw the Mage, sealed it for me. So I'm assuming she also knows about the Thousand Names and wants to get it before Janus.

I know they've had losses but it seems the Vordanai have had a pretty easy go if it making it to the city. I expect the next section, chasing Mother and the Steel Ghost won't be as easy.

Oh Bobby. That was a nice reveal, makes me wonder how many ladies are in this army. Potential love interest?

If it's not obvious by how fast I'm moving through this, I'm really enjoying it. Wish I would've read it sooner

Suzanne | 1582 comments Glad you are reading it now! I wonder how many ladies are in the army too. For some reason, reading this book made the real historic stories of women donning disguises and fighting more real to me (maybe it should have been the other way around).

Sumant | 522 comments Rob wrote: "Things are finally picking up!

I figured Fayor was going to use magic to save Bobby. I had no idea Bobby was a woman too. Rather difficult to believe coincidence that she ended up under Winter, bu..."

I too suspect Alhundt showing outside the tent when Feor was healing Bobby was not an coincidence, she is definitely an mage or the author is doing an red herring.

Janus showed his true side when he was ready to carve that old woman to get that relic called as Thousand names.

Andreas Mark wrote: "Interesting set of confrontations in these chapters. Nice to see the nasty side of Janus."

"Nasty" - he didn't even hurt the temple girls. GRRM would have given us a torture scene, Lawrence a rape fest, and Abercrombie litres of blood. I think, the scene is an equivalent to those given the general atmosphere. It is nearly YAish.

There was lots of action and battle in the first half of the novel, but it feels like those elements brought the book forward only slightly - an overlong exposition and things are starting right now.

Alhundt is confirmed in her standard trope, a love affair evolves in addition.
Bobby might have a similar background like Winter and sought after her.
Janus feels like a little Napoleon (or Lee, Wellington) with brilliant strategic ideas and winning everything. Of course, Janus is no "second" Napoleon, as he isn't as charismatic but arrogant, even temperamental.

With all the revealings, there seem to come up the topics of loyalty and trust. On larger scale, with Marcus and Janus, and on the personal level with Bobby, Winter, and Feor.

Where the heck is Sgt. Davis?

Suzanne | 1582 comments Janus is pretty mysterious to me.

I like your insight about trust as a theme - that is true and I hadn't thought about it.