fiction files redux discussion

Help! please

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt, e-monk (new)

Matt Comito | 386 comments Mod
back in the files someone posted a link to a site that upon entry of an author's name would then create a constellation of other authors around it who had shared subjects or themes or were otherwise in some fashion related - you could then click on any of those names and a new constellation would be generated

does anyone remember the name of that site?

message 2: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
here you go, matt:

http://www.literature-map.com/

message 3: by Matt, e-monk (new)

perfect - thanks JE

message 4: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

my pleasure . . . i took the opportunity to revisit the site!

message 5: by Jennifer, hot tamale (new)

Jennifer | 141 comments Mod
oh man - this is neat! i hadn't seen it before - coulda really used this when i worked at the library. very useful tool. thanks.

message 6: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . .man, i wanna' get on this map . . . all the fiction files authors need to be on this map . . . when you punch in a name and it isn't there, it allows you to suggest an author . . . i'll go suggest ff autors if somebody else will suggest me . . .

message 7: by Matt, e-monk (new)

I'll add you tonight

message 8: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . .thanks! just put it keith, jimb, greg d, and will go back for patrick and others . . .

message 9: by Matt, e-monk (new)

I put you in but you arent showing up yet

message 10: by Matt, e-monk (new)

looks like more suggestions from more sources may help our favorite authors get added

message 11: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . . yeah, i think you're right, matt . . . it takes multiple suggestions, so if we are to put our fictionphiles "on the map" a few people are going to make suggestions . . .

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you're showing now JE. Also David Liss. That's pretty neat. I went with the ff book shelf. If anyones book isn't shelved someone should do that.

message 13: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

. . .wierd, that i should be right by sam lipsyte, who blurbed my book . . . so, i;m gathering the system has more to do with reading proclivities than literary DNA, since when i enter in other ff authors it asks me who else i like . . .

message 14: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

also, J.P. is currently the number 1 suggestion, so it looks like we're doing our work . . .

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Ididn't get asked tthat. just is the spelling correct. weird.

message 16: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Margaret wrote: "Ididn't get asked tthat. just is the spelling correct. weird."

. . .yeah, that is wierd . . . for keith it asked me that, but for JPO it didn't . . . a little confusing . . .

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll mess with it a bit. just to figure it ut. It's still pretty neat though.

message 18: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Margaret wrote: "I'll mess with it a bit. just to figure it ut. It's still pretty neat though."

. . . i think so to . . . i think the more input they get across the board, the more valuable a resource it could be . . .

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

http://www.gnod.net/

This link takes you to the home page of gnod. from there click on books and it takes you to gnooks. from there you have several options one of which is the literature map. the other options look interesting so I'll go back and check em out.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Music, books, movies.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

So I chose the let gnod find a new author for me. I entered 3 Authors I like. Stephen King, Jonathan Evison and Terry Brooks. It suggested Sam Lipsyte. ?? I guess I'll haveto check him out.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

hahaha I think I broke it! I typed in JE, JPO, and David Liss and it came up blank.hahah! too funny. I've decided its more than pretty neat, It's very cool.