Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Etcetera > Want to check out action on the beach

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Just wanted to share the surf cam. it moves earlier my bil told me the dredge was up there (they are doing a beach replenlisment on our beach) so I went up and to get a few more pictures and do a second walk. while there I was watch a surfer must have gotten hurt but my bil had me walk down to where he knows the surf came is attached to this one house on the beach and there is a bench there so he had me sit on the beach and when the cam which moves back and forth came back they saw me sitting there and had to stand up and sit down and way. it's kind of a delayed response but neat. anyway. I know it's night time if you watch it now but when they swing around you can see the work they are doing (24 hours a day not even holidays off it's the army corp of enigneers doing it) Maybe you will even be lucky enough to see when the dreadge is out and it's spits the sand onto the beach. or maybe you might see me walking past it tomorrow. LOL.

http://www.surfchex.com/manasquan-web...

message 2: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments oh the reason my bil knows about these cams he found them so he can check out what the ocean is like when he surf fishes.

message 3: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2678 comments Nice to see some water out here in Arizona.

message 4: by Ann (last edited Nov 23, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14619 comments looks cold (people wearing hoodies) and pretty. we have plenty of water around here surrounded by lakes and rivers, but not like the ocean!

message 5: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I was walking at about 8:30 I guess. I had a black fleece, red vest, white scarf. it was sunny and the dredge was out in the ocean, alot of fisherman were out fishing when I was up there. the sun was hitting the water right near the dredge and it was a nice picture moment glad I had the camera with me. at some point I'll put some of those pictures on my fb. there are pictures on my fb now from a guy that does pictures from a small motorized plane real neat.

Not much wave action up there today. the dredge is getting the sand from up the coast they said the sand it better there and more of it. we were told that we have no more sand out where it came from last time. my bil said they are crazy. if you check the cam in the summer you won't see me on the beach. are so called beach were we sit is out right past where they were working (they had started by uus and haven't gotten that far towards the inlet then they will go the opposite direction down the north from our beach after getting all the way to the inlet. we said how we get so lucky that they started here now and not when the beach time starts in the spring or summer. the last time they did this years ago it was during the summer months and it was a pain because when they worked on your beach you have to go to another beach to sit.
since my sister & bil are here now we are going to take another walk before it gets too late.

message 6: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Donnajo wrote: "Just wanted to share the surf cam. it moves earlier my bil told me the dredge was up there (they are doing a beach replenlisment on our beach) so I went up and to get a few more pictures and do a ..."

Enjoyed the view, looks cold tho',

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Moved this thread to "Etcetera" from "Miscellaneous Book Talk." Hope that doesn't mess anyone up.

Carol <-- pretending to do moderator stuff.

message 8: by Donnajo (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I decided to come and look at the ocean. from reports they aren't getting the snow but heavy wind and rain. looks like we can say goodbye to the bigger beach again those waves look bad. if you watch long enough you can see them hitting the end of the getty at the inlet. my sister & bil went down to check the heat and grab something they forgot the last time that they want to bring to Florida with them she told me that the snow is all gone at least. they might not know how to deal with snow and don't do a good job with cleaning it but it doesn't stay around long it seems.
Up by me we are getting a bad snow storm. it's really coming down heavy.

message 9: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments We've been in a deep freeze here in north Texas. Had our share of icy roads on and off for about a month. Finally, the sun came out on Wednesday and each day the temps. are rising. My disposition has improved greatly.
Our normal highs for Feb. is usually in the 60's. Having highs below freezing was lousy.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments my sister told me that my nephew and bil said that one of the getties that were covered after they had done the beach they can tell you can see it now so I guess we lost some of the beach again.
my plans are switched I decided not to go to isabelle's kids party today. but I"m still helping my sister starting tomorrow babysit. will probably be picked up after isabelle's friend's birthday party. she said since isabelle's bd is sunday maybe we will go to frudrucckers to eat. my neighbor was already out this morning shoveling evne my icy sidewalk so after talking to my sister (who ended up going to the dr this morning because she now has a bad cold) I decided I better go outside and do my share of odd and end cleaning. so I was clipping away for more than an hour out there. that ice won't even break. it's a mess we have 3 parking spots that are covered that they still have to come and clean out. the neighbor said he's going out in the car looking for someone to come clean them. plus we really need the front loader because now the mountain of snow at the end is so high there is no place to put it plus it's icy so that will be even harder to move. they came more into the street when I have to back my car out of the garage and put back on the street don't know how I'm going to do it.

message 11: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments Brakedrum wrote: "We've been in a deep freeze here in north Texas. Had our share of icy roads on and off for about a month. Finally, the sun came out on Wednesday and each day the temps. are rising. My disposition..."

ugh I guess everyone is getting crazy bad weather. I hope it gets better by you soon. I'm so ready for a early spring but the way the snow is around here now I think we are going to see if in the piles until memorial day weekend. I hate this weather. but I'm just walking on the ice and not being paranoid that I'm going to slip on it. Just got to deal with it.

message 12: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Finally, finally, the weather warmed up!! We got into the mid 70's yesterday. Blue skies and SUN! Just had to go for a walk, was getting cabin fever. The lizards even came out to sun bathe on the rocks in the yard. The gray doves flew into the yard and starting pecking at the seeds from the weeds coming up. No grass growing, but weeds are starting. As of yesterday, we are in Fire Danger Zone. Everything is dry and fires can start easily. Last year, a car with a hot motor parked on the grass of a ranch and started a grass fire.

message 13: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments more snow. and guess what the guy (neighbor) that was helping was given one of those electric mini snow blowers since the other guy bought it a few months back and is now ill so can't use it. so he's out there cleaning. I was out this morning for an hour chipping and shoveling figuring I would get rid of more of the snow along my driveway. he came over did the sidewalk and driveway plus donna's next door. then finally the plows came. I said thank you so many times. my sister said when spring comes to buy him maybe some kind of cake or something as a thank you. he said they threw that dirt around sometime after the last snow. he didn't see them do it but it's a mess out there. I told him I thought maybe they ran out of the salt or that maybe with my ice situation they decided to use the dirt. of course I threw out before the winter a old rug that I used in front of the door and started using a new one. but my sister told me when I talked to her before she found a old one of her's I could use. big ice hanging from the roof. the neighbor said I'm lucky on the shady side of street he said when he first moved in years ago they had a bad winter with the ice and snow on the roofs and when it got warmer it melted underneat and not on top and it went though the shingles and went though the ceillings in the condos and they had water damage inside. the next time I go out I'll try for some pictures of the ice hanging and try to put them up on FB. he also said that donna next door took pictures of the snow bank at the end and was sending then in with a complant to the complex office. because it's hard for her to get out. he said they know the situation is bad with the high mound of snow. before they were pulling the snow out with the plow then pushing the snow someplace else. but they would be lousy too because they are just pushing the snow down harder at least I think that.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3689 comments Donnajo wrote: "more snow. and guess what the guy (neighbor) that was helping was given one of those electric mini snow blowers since the other guy bought it a few months back and is now ill so can't use it. so ..."

more snow here, too. i just could scream!

message 15: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments it wasn't too bad. I went out this afternoon and was chipping away some an area on the driveway I stopped to let one of the cleanup crew walk by and he stopped took the chopper from me and he did it. then gave it back. didn't understand a word he said since he was mexican. but that was nice too bad he didn't touch any of the other spots. and he just kicked the ice pieces off to the side where I had cleaned the driveway so when he left I took the shovel and shoveled them away.
luis across the street said he talked to one of them and told them how the dirt they put down was so horrible and made a mess when you walked into the house. and they said they know they had run out of salt and tried this but will never get it again. they are expecting another shipment of salt so that is good. I can see our maintance going up this year with all the snow we had.

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments everyone who is getting this winter horrible weather stay safe and warm I keep thinking that spring is within sight.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Donnajo wrote: "everyone who is getting this winter horrible weather stay safe and warm I keep thinking that spring is within sight."

From your lips to God's ears, DJ! I'm just praying my snowblower makes it through the winter. I was merrily plowing along but noticing not as much snow was getting moved as usual. My neighbor pointed out a pin thingee was missing and one of the blades wasn't even working. Duh. I am usually very capable but clueless about machines.

message 18: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments My DH is very capable with machines but otherwise clueless, lol!! Actually he really is a wonder, I just has to go with the funny!!!

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments LOL. Send him over, Liz! I think we would get along.

LizH wrote: "My DH is very capable with machines but otherwise clueless, lol!! Actually he really is a wonder, I just has to go with the funny!!!"

message 20: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments I wish I could! He loves to fix things. Anything, and I try to keep him busy with projects because he is not a reader, and I would prefer to be reading!

message 21: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Too bad there wasn't some way to ship all that snow to California. Many farmers are not planting crops due to the drought. Tonight's news stated that prices are going to sky rocket for produce.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14619 comments Lorraine: That is not surprising, and not good news at all (the higher prices)
Brakedrum wrote: "Too bad there wasn't some way to ship all that snow to California. Many farmers are not planting crops due to the drought. Tonight's news stated that prices are going to sky rocket for produce."

message 23: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I saw on our town's fb page someone asked with all that snow around town and no place to put it if they could dump it in the river but when I told my sister she said said she saw something in the paper that they can't do that.

message 24: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Feb 24, 2014 04:51AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Donnajo wrote: "I saw on our town's fb page someone asked with all that snow around town and no place to put it if they could dump it in the river but when I told my sister she said said she saw something in the paper that they can't do that..."

I think in most places dumping snow in the water is prohibited because of all the toxic things that wind up in snow.

message 25: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments That is what I think my sister said they said where she saw it.

message 26: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Way, way back in the 1950's Detroit used to dump the snow in the Detroit River. I guess it was around the '70's that they quit doing that, due to EPA regs. The snow contains salt, antifreeze, and oil that can contaminate the waterway.

message 27: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments I just checked the beach cam. if you check it around 6:30 or 7pm you can see the big fishing boats coming in. usually around 8am if you look at it in the morning. you can see them on the other side of the getty going into the inlet.

we had spitzing of snow today but it was a on and off thing. hopefully what is coming tomorrow if anything will be the same thing. they said maybe an inch if that.
I did take a very short walk today 2 times around the circle of my block usually I do 5 or more. and believe it 2 was killing me. I haven't done any walking in awhile even though I do other exercises. my niece said I should go to the high school and walk the track or to a mall. I said I don't think you can go to the track while school is in I wouldn't anyway and as for the mall I said then I end up shopping and not walking.

message 28: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Donnajo wrote: " I said I don't think you can go to the track while school is in I wouldn't anyway and as for the mall I said then I end up shopping and not walking. ..."

LOL. That would be my fear! Good for you for getting out and walking. The only exercise I'm getting these days is using the snowblower.....

message 29: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3593 comments so far today 1/2 on the exercise bike. if I was smart I would go outside and walk around my street 2 times (I won't I think it's alittle too cold). plus walking in the mail then I have my heavy pocket book that is a pain plus a coat. And those deadly impluse buys. I think I spent enough this month or next month I was doing so good the one thing snow does it keeps me at home and saves me money. except the last few days.