Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Talk Genre > How do you write your book reviews?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been meaning to ask. How do you write your book review for this particular genre. Do you have a different criteria when you review a Sci-Fi type of book, as opposed to say a mystery/suspense or a young adult contemporary novel, etc.? How do you approach your book review? Please feel free to share your comments here.

message 2: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Downward (edwindownward) | 2 comments I do my best to express what about the story impressed me the most. While genre nuances do play a role in what I write, the overall effect has more to do with my reaction than the genre in question.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Yeah, I don't really review this genre differently. I always appreciate plausibility and research in any speculative fiction, and I look for the same things across SFF: action, relationships, fast pacing, tight prose, a fair dialogue to exposition ratio, etc. Books will just have those things in different proportions.

message 4: by AnnaM (new)

AnnaM (annamc) | 1111 comments I try to follow the good, bad, good format. But I also often try to address both genres in the review. Not ratios per se but whether or not I think each genre was done well.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

There's a lot of interesting criteria for individual book reviewing here. Thanks for the time sharing your thoughts everyone.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

There's a lot of interesting criteria for individual book reviewing here. Thanks for the time sharing your thoughts everyone.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 334 comments I review them all pretty much the same - Did I like it? Was there anything that stood as remarkable or horrible? Would I recommend it? And the stars are also my subjective opinion. No what what genre, I treat them the same.