The 1700-1939 Book Club! discussion

Which authors would you like to read but have not had the chance?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
Which authors have you wanted to read but have not got around to (meeting our groups requirements)? I was thinking it may be fun to pick an author and nominate books by them to read for a group read. (I think the Victorians group did this) We also could pick a theme like a children's book, mystery or a book about social unrest.

message 2: by Jamie (last edited Nov 26, 2013 06:22AM) (new)

One author I would like to read is Émile Zola. Has anyone read any books by Zola and what did you think of them? What author's novels, short stories, plays or poetry would you like to read?

message 3: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 93 comments I would like to read some Katherine Mansfield, which is why I nominated it for the group read. Alas, my nominee is losing by a landslide. (Even I switched my vote away from it to vote for Mrs. Dalloway, which is running a close second to Of Human Bondage. I would much prefer Mrs. Dalloway. Anyone with opinions on the subject should check the poll and either vote or reconsider their vote.)

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Yes I changed my vote too. I picked Hawthorne's because I have never read a complete novel by him but only parts in school.

message 5: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Meyer (loptsson) How about Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin? I have always wanted to read it in fact I got a copy a few months back and it just sits there unread.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola I've read Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola - 4 stars

Katherine Mansfield's Selected Short Stories by Katherine Mansfield Katherine Mansfield Letters And Journals A Selection by Katherine Mansfield I have two books by Katherine Mansfield and Mansfield by C.K. Stead by C.K. Stead

message 7: by Jamie (new)

I'm trying to get a list of authors people have not had the chance of reading and possibly doing a group read nomination based on one author that we vote on.

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kendall (akendall) | 3 comments I have yet to read LeoTolstoy. Have heard only good things about his novels.

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Benshana | 2 comments Zola will rip your heart out

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Daniel wrote: "Zola will rip your heart out"

Great! :(

Which book of his is your favorite?

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Something Hawthorne or Maturin would be fun. I'm also interested in giving Maugham a try.

message 12: by Isabel (new)

Isabel (wholockian38) I would like to read E M Forster's books. Also Thomas Hardy, I have just started Far from the Madding Crowd.

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Isabel wrote: "I would like to read E M Forster's books. Also Thomas Hardy, I have just started Far from the Madding Crowd."

Great authors. I loved FFTMC.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Jamie wrote: "One author I would like to read is Émile Zola. Has anyone read any books by Zola and what did you think of them? What author's novels, short stories, plays or poetry would you like to read?"

I've read Captain Burle and Nana. Both were excellent and I recommend them. I'd be up for another Zola.
I think I've read all of Hardy except for A Pair of Blue Eyes and I have the book. It's just down in the stack.

message 15: by Jamie (last edited Aug 14, 2015 07:12PM) (new)

Diane wrote: "Jamie wrote: "One author I would like to read is Émile Zola. Has anyone read any books by Zola and what did you think of them? What author's novels, short stories, plays or poetry would you like t..."

A Pair of Blue Eyes wasn't my favorite Hardy novel (I gave it 3 stars). I tried to start reading Under the Greenwood Tree (I think) and had a hard time due to the dialect used so I put that aside.

message 16: by Diane (new)

Diane Jamie wrote: "A Pair of Blue Eyes wasn't my favorite Hardy novel (I gave it 3 stars). I tried to start reading Under the Greenwood Tree (I think) and had a hard time due to the dialect used so I put that aside. "

I believe both were among his earlier work which would make a difference.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I would like to read:
The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola
Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Terry wrote: "I would like to read:
The Ladies' Paradise by Emile Zola
Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham"

I've been waiting to read Zola, I have Germinal. I enjoyed The Painted Veil & The Moon and the Sixpence by Maugham.

message 19: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnrosenoseinbooks) I'm very intersted in reading Thomas Hardys novels. I just order two of them (Tess.. & The Woodlanders) from amazon which should be here soon, so Im excited to start those. I'm just getting into reading classics for fun. This year I've already read Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights (my favorite!), and The Secret Garden for classics. I've loved all of them and Im excited to read more!

message 20: by Jamie (new)

Autumn wrote: "I'm very intersted in reading Thomas Hardys novels. I just order two of them (Tess.. & The Woodlanders) from amazon which should be here soon, so Im excited to start those. I'm just getting into re..."

Great books! I loved Tess (in a this is great but depressing sort of way). Far From the Madding Crowd is also great. I love Hardy! I also started with all these books when I got into classics. My favorite is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and really liked Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. Austen, the Brontë's, Collins, Hardy, Theodore Dreiser, and Edith Wharton are all great. Feel free to check out my bookshelf along with the group's bookshelf.

message 21: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnrosenoseinbooks) Jamie wrote: "Autumn wrote: "I'm very intersted in reading Thomas Hardys novels. I just order two of them (Tess.. & The Woodlanders) from amazon which should be here soon, so Im excited to start those. I'm just ..."

Thank you! Many of the authors you just mentioned I have books by that Ihave not read yet but plan to soon. I'm reading my way through them. Sometimes I wish I could read faster because im excited to get to all of them! I have a collection of three stories by Edith Wharton, The two Thomas Hardy novels I mentioned (I plan to get more), all of Jane Austen, and I have a list of many others I plan to get.