Amazon Kindle discussion

Helen Laycock
This topic is about Helen Laycock
Books by members > Helen Laycock - ‘an accomplished writer, one with true knowledge of the craft’

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Hello there.

I am a British writer with twelve books available as kindle versions. May I introduce you to the first of these, priced at £1.02/£1.49:

Peace and Disquiet by Helen Laycock Peace and Disquiet

A collection of twelve slightly disturbing tales which encompass mortality, mentality, brutality… and reality.

‘the work of an accomplished writer, one with true knowledge of the craft’

‘an outstanding collection of short stories’

‘I was left open mouthed at the sinister realism and very brave and powerful writing’

‘two of the very best stories of this kind I have ever read’

‘I almost felt as if the words themselves were drawing me in and binding me to each and every syllable’

‘Helen Laycock writes with a deep understanding of her characters’

‘intriguing and is crafted with figurative, poetic language which flows beautifully’

‘each one is a masterpiece that could only have been created by the master story teller that she undoubtedly is’

‘Great short stories that send you through a host of emotions’

‘Each story is unique and well crafted’

‘a great collection of short stories that are well written and enjoyable’

‘Well worth the price’

‘I was held captive until the end’

‘she can certainly send shivers up the spine!’

‘this author writes in such a way that you can't help but turn the page’

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Light Bites by Helen Laycock Light Bites£1.02/$1.49

A collection of twelve light-hearted, satisfying tales to savour in those precious moments of peace during the day.

`The author writes so well, in such a 'real' way that I found myself immersed in each tale.'

`Her characters are easy to relate to and there is lots of humour that keeps you entertained.'

`I thoroughly enjoyed every story and would definitely recommend it.'

`There is certainly something for everyone here.'

`A very good read.'

message 3: by Helen (last edited Nov 25, 2013 06:46AM) (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments I also have many books available for children.

Glass Dreams by Helen Laycock
Glass Dreams £1.02/$1.49 is a mystery set at the circus and would suit readers from the age of about 8+.

Runaway, Jake, has no idea what adventures are in store when he meets circus performer, Khala, hiding in a ramshackle caravan.
Should he tell her about the mysterious box he has been warned never to open? Khala also has a secret to share, but can she trust Jake?
Fantazi's circus is a place of danger, but with the help of Cedric the dwarf and his beloved Chihuahua, Audrey, the children unravel the truth and are utterly astounded at the biggest secret of all.

Glass Dreams has had some fantastic feedback:

‘Rich vocabulary, a nail biting plot, characters who stay with you long after you put the book down’

‘Glass Dreams has everything’

‘Helen Laycock has what all good authors have - the ability to create an extremely interesting world in which to place her characters’

‘Laycock's beautiful and imaginative descriptions of events leave you totally immersed’

‘This is a fantastic children's book! I loved it!’

‘an amazing story’

‘wonderful characters’

‘There is enough action, adventure, danger and mystery in this book to get my heart pumping, never mind a child's!’

‘Helen Laycock has written a fast paced action adventure that will keep even children with short attention spans hooked!’

‘Glass Dreams draws you in from the first sentence.’

‘Ms. Laycock is a master storyteller that takes you on an amazing journey’

‘Brilliantly vibrant and so much fun!’

‘there is a definite lump in my throat’

‘magnificent story telling’

‘perfectly done, even down the tone of his voice’

‘You have the written the voice of this sweet little boy absolutely perfectly’

‘What a wonderful, enchanting story you have woven here!’

‘What a delightful, charming story. This may be written for older children and tweens, but this elderly woman really enjoyed it’

‘an enchanting, captivating story’

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Salt by Helen Laycock Salt £1.02/$1.49 is a seaside mystery for readers from the age of about 8+.

For Toby, a holiday at Pirates' Cove is nothing like he expected it to be…
With the help of Hattie, a strange local girl, her dog Scamp and Rufus, the intelligent rat, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled. Why are there mysterious beach fires and eerie singing at night? What is Hattie hiding? Why has a dead man been spotted in the town and why are the children in such grave danger?

‘I can once again assert that this is another gem amidst the many children's books’

‘an enchanting read’

‘so wonderfully well written that the characters truly came alive’

‘most definitely recommended’

‘Vivid imagery and nicely flowing prose’

‘rich descriptions of places and people’

‘many twists and turns’

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Mandrake's Plot by Helen Laycock Mandrake's Plot£1.02/$1.49

Two new pupils, left stranded at a remote Scottish train platform, make their way to their new school, St. Agatha's.

It is a dark, wet evening and Evie and Mia are surrounded by silhouettes of hills. There is no traffic on the highland road and no one has come to collect them. Finally, a dilapidated sign points the way up a hilly path at the top of which they are met with the foreboding building, hanging with gargoyles. Its windows are lit, but they do not get the welcome they expect. Mandrake, the mute caretaker, gives them the fright of their lives when he opens the heavy oak door. Miss Blackthorn, the peculiar headmistress, directs them to a remote wing of the building which is to be their sleeping quarters. When they find the key to the door at the far end of their dormitory, they are completely unprepared for what they find on the other side.

And the school is not the only place where there is danger...

'a well crafted story filled with mystery and suspense'

'truly an original and unique story'

'a fabulous tale with an air of intrigue and mystery at its heart'

message 6: by Helen (last edited Dec 03, 2013 11:37AM) (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments The Secret of Pooks Wood by Helen Laycock The Secret of Pooks Wood 96p / $1.53

When Stella takes her twins to Great Hawkesden Manor to see their Great Uncle Alfred, the last thing she expects is a blizzard which will leave them stranded there over Christmas. With the discovery of an old snow globe, inside which is a miniature version of Great Hawkesden, memories of Stella's childhood begin to return, a childhood where grave mistakes were made with terrible consequences. But it's too late now to do anything about them... isn't it?

#53 in Kindle Store > Books > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Science Fiction, Fantasy & Scary Stories > Science Fiction > Time Trave

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Martha and Mitch by Helen Laycock Martha and Mitch £1.02 / $1.49

(old cover)

Martha is humble and unspoilt, despite living a life of utter luxury at Lottery Lodge with her (mostly absent) father and step-mother, Penelope.

She has a circular bedroom with ever-changing scenery upon the curved wall and, in the centre, her bed rotates under a silver canopy above which the ceiling is lit like the Milky Way. In Martha’s library, a conveyor-belt shelving system automatically files returned books into alphabetically correct spaces and her bathroom is like an undersea kingdom. The most extraordinary toys fill her glass-walled playroom, invented by her father’s brilliant employee, the ancient Willoughby Withers, and, from there she looks out onto the playground of dreams. But Martha is lonely.

Mitch lives at the boys’ orphanage, a dilapidated mansion which is owned and run by the kind Ariadne Scattypants who keeps no record of names or numbers. Ariadne, however, has a heart of gold. She feeds and clothes the orphans and never ever turns any boy away.

Neither child has any idea about the life the other is leading.

Between Lottery Lodge and the orphanage is a dense wood and it is here that a band of wild boys live, boys who, as a rite of passage, have had to leave the orphanage due to a lack of beds as new, younger boys continue to arrive. Mitch finds himself at their mercy, but somehow manages to scrabble his way out of the woods, emerging at Martha’s wonderful home.

However, here, too, things are taking a sinister turn. With the aid of Withers’ newest invention, Penelope has hatched a devious, failsafe plan to eliminate Martha. She has been concealing a deep secret which must not be revealed at any cost.

Will Martha and Mitch uncover the truth or will the devious Penelope succeed in getting her evil way?

'an exciting story'

'I had to keep reading right to the end'

#24 in Kindle Store > Books > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Family Life > Stepfamilies

message 8: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments Song of the Moon by Helen Laycock Song of the Moon

Isadora Wellington, known as Izzy, befriends Titania Moonsong, a wheelchair bound old lady who lives at 13 Arnison Road. Rumour has it that Mrs Moonsong is a witch, which is hardly surprising: she has a black cat, Macbeth, and an array of herbs in her garden from which she makes peculiar concoctions. She also has an uncanny aptitude for pre-empting whatever Izzy is about to say, or, indeed, is thinking and her favourite piece of music is ‘The Sorcerer’s Apprentice’.

As Izzy is helping Mrs Moonsong one day, she discovers a hidden door blocked by a cupboard.

Mrs Moonsong mysteriously disappears. In her place is a strange hippie, Dylan, her nephew. He is unwilling to engage in conversation with Izzy and Joe, her cousin, so they are forced to spy on the house from the track at the back of the garden. They discover Mrs Moonsong’s wheelchair in the garden shed. Without it she is stranded.

Believing he has something to do with his aunt’s disappearance, the children continue to spy on Dylan who seems to be engrossed in collecting strange ingredients for a ‘recipe’ which turns out to be a spell. It seems that Mrs Moonsong’s house was built where ley lines meet, and that, if a witch should happen to live in such a place, then evil is magnified. The spell requires that the house should be burned down at full moon.

A potion needs to be secretly administered to Dylan. The plan succeeds, but only partly. Dylan has locked himself in the secret room with Mrs Moonsong when he falls into a drugged sleep and blocks the door. He has already set the house alight at this point. It is a race against time to get the key…

'Helen has a clear voice, it is as if I can hear her reading to me.'

'I loved the names of the characters'

'a satisfying plot and... very tidily linked together'

'exciting climax to the story'

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen Laycock (helenlaycock) | 131 comments This morning my author interview appears on http://carpinelloswritingpages.blogsp..., Cheryl Carpinello's blog about children's fiction. Thank you for having me, Cheryl!