The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Fundamentally change combat in fantasy?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michal (new)

Michal (michaltheassistantpigkeeper) | 294 comments He's using a thumb draw, which is pretty much required to get this speed/accuracy. There are various fast-shooting demos you can look up on Youtube, most of them for horse-archery. Pretty amazing stuff, and obviously requires a lot of skill and training to do.

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments In fantasy, you can shoot an arrow and have it turn into a whale before it hits the ground. :)

message 3: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1593 comments Only if Douglas Adams is writing it. ;-)

message 4: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 63 comments Wow! That is really cool.

message 5: by JohnViril (new)

JohnViril | 36 comments Wow, great catch. I'm going to have to look at this.

I guess shooting for volume is very different than shooting for accuracy (which is what modern archery contests do).

message 6: by JohnViril (new)

JohnViril | 36 comments Though the thing we fantasy authors have to remember is that archers were a support arm in ancient warfare, they were only the decisive arm in only a few battles under special circumstances like Agincourt.

Yet, what Lars does would be very significant for a small party on a quest, because small groups can't mass shields against an archery attack like formations could.

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2295 comments K. J. Parker's Fencer trilogy (Colours in the Steel et al.) had a memorable sequence (although I don't remember which book) where a company of archers was trying to hold off a mass of infantry. It basically became a problem in math -- can we put enough arrows into the air (and the enemy soldiers) to stop their advance before they reach us?

message 8: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments JohnViril wrote: "Wow, great catch. I'm going to have to look at this.

I guess shooting for volume is very different than shooting for accuracy (which is what modern archery contests do)."

A bit like the role of a medium or heavy machine gun compared with a sniper rifle.

message 9: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 128 comments Nice catch, very interesting to watch.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Colours in the Steel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

K.J. Parker (other topics)