Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

General Discussions > a question about Karl Edward Wagner

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Francisco (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:00AM) (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 11 comments hey I'm Francisco from Almeria in the south east of Spain, just where they shot Conan the barbarian, I hope you excuse my poor english, I want to read much more s&s, basically I only have read Robert E Howard and Michael Moorcock, I've been reading about the figure and work of Karl Edward Wagner and I'm thinking about reading his saga of Kane, but they're not translated to spanish and the question is, it is a complicated reading for a non english speaker? I mean his style his prose, his dialogue... I'm studying english and have read books in english like Fiesta, the sun also rises, tales of William Somerset Maugham and Daphne Du Maurier, The island by Peter Benchley and near this genre, the two collections of stories by Laird Barron, is KEW much more difficult to read for a spanish reader than those authors? should I try?

very nice group and greetings from Spain

message 2: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2277 comments Mod
Francisco wrote: "hey I'm Francisco from Almeria in the south east of Spain, just where they shot Conan the barbarian, I hope you excuse my poor english, I want to read much more s&s, basically I only have read Robe..."

Francisco, Wow what a great note! Nice to hear from you. I do not know if there are translations of Kane, though suspect Periklis may know. I look forward to hearing the responces. Thanks for asking.

message 3: by Periklis, Fafhrd (last edited Nov 23, 2013 04:25AM) (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Francisco wrote: "hey I'm Francisco from Almeria in the south east of Spain, just where they shot Conan the barbarian, I hope you excuse my poor english, I want to read much more s&s, basically I only have read Robe..."

Welcome Francisco, thanks for joining us!
As a greek reader, I wasn't intimidated by Wagner's prose at all. If you could manage Maugham and Barron (I thoroughly enjoyed his The Light is the Darkness BTW) I'm sure you'll enjoy Kane in English. I saw your post on the Karl Edward Wagner Fans Facebook page and there is also its yahoo groups branch, where I suspect that any information on spanish translations will surface.
Now, the hardest part is probably finding an english copy at a reasonable price. I'd suggest trying Bookfinder, using each editions' ISBN. Happy book huntin' and feel free to share your reading experience on the Karl Edward Wagner Groupread (I'm shamefully behind my reading schedule on "Darkness Weaves"!).

Regarding Almeria, I remember watching a making-of documentary according to which, the Thulsa Doom temple was physically build(!) and abandoned there after the shooting. I wonder if it's still standing?!? :-)

message 4: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 11 comments ok... I take note, is better to read them in order? or first the stories and later the novels? have you studied english? you have a very good level and I suppose you read a lot in english

the temple of Thulsa Doom was absolutely abandoned and I think remains very little of it but recently there was a campaing to save the cave of Conan, I don't remember exactly what cave it is. Now Ridley Scott is shooting Exodus, it seems that super productions are returning to Almeria

greetings from Spain

message 5: by Periklis, Fafhrd (last edited Nov 23, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Francisco wrote: "ok... I take note, is better to read them in order? or first the stories and later the novels? have you studied english? you have a very good level and I suppose you read a lot in english
the temp..."

I've read them as they became available. First a couple of stories and then the "Dark Crusade" (I think his last novel chronologically). Thanks but apart from studing english as a foreign language I had no other training. If you can manage writers like Maugham you're there too! ;)
Thanks for the info. The locations in Conan have been a key part for re-watching it. Nice to know that there are films made in Algeria.

Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy"

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Light is the Darkness (other topics)