Everything Booklikes & Leafmarks discussion

Help with using BookLikes > Editing a review on BL - can you?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 10 comments I often amend my reviews on GR, whether after a reread, or more commonly, in the light of subsequent discussions, but I can't see a way to do that on BL. Surely it's possible?

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) You can. You can do it from your bookshelf - table view. Or if it is the same day you first posted it, just click on the title. Here is another way - find the review, find the number at the top and post it instead of the ######
http://booklikes.com/post/text/######/

❂ Murder by Death  (murderbydeath) Also, from either your Dashboard or your blog page, you should be able to move your mouse over the top right corner of the review, and two buttons will pop up: edit and delete.

Petra on hiatus in hospital & not the beach,Cancun (petra-x) That's true sometimes Jennifer, but not always. I haven't paid attention to why it isn't always though.

message 5: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 22, 2013 01:51PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 445 comments If you put book or author in title of your post, can sometimes find by going to "blog" (vs. Dashboard) and searching book/author.

I'm finding it easiest if book title is close alphabetically to beginning or end of table view, to sort table view by title or descending order of title and edit. Caution: boolklikes lumps all the "A whatever" "An Whatever" and "The whatever" under A, An and The alphabetically. I pretty much don't use table edit for any "the" titles.

If you put a unique tag on all your reviews, from "blog" you can search for that tag and more dependably bring up to edit. I only realized the unique tag was helpful to find the reviews again after I had already moved some reviews -- helpful enough that I went back and edited all of them to include. I can't get to booklikes from device I am currently on but if you look at my blog at http://www.donealrice.booklikes.com on the lefthand sidebar there's a menu choice to see all my reviews and that works because I stuck a unique tag on all my reviews (in my case "Reviews from Spurts" was tag I used; another bookliker trying had issues because they tried using their initials and then the search brought up way too many so the unique matters). I think I'm roughly one-third finished moving my reviews over.

I've been trying to remember to change post date from "now" to date read, published, or just a really old date to keep from flooding daily feed with a lot of review posts from older books. Got a bit bogged down going alphabetically backwards because apparently I read a lot of books starting with S, T or The.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Oh my gosh! Thank you so much. I just imported my books, and I came on here to ask this exact question!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 445 comments Jackie wrote: "Oh my gosh! Thank you so much. I just imported my books, and I came on here to ask this exact question!"

The import on booklikes goes in stages; and book reviews are one of the last steps -- if any of yours seems missing, may just take a bit more time. Check progress of import under "settings (the gear looking icon upper right), import tab, import page or watch for the "import completed" notice they email.

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) They are all there. It imported pretty fast.

message 9: by Cecily (new)

Cecily | 10 comments Blimey - they don't make it easy to edit, do they?!

I've managed to swap a book from "Currently reading" to "Read", but even from the instructions above, I haven't been able to edit the review itself. Not a big deal immediately, but something I'll need to get to grips with if I'm going to stick with BL.

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (themis-athena) | 209 comments Cecily wrote: "Blimey - they don't make it easy to edit, do they?!

I've managed to swap a book from "Currently reading" to "Read", but even from the instructions above, I haven't been able to edit the review itself. Not a big deal immediately, but something I'll need to get to grips with if I'm going to stick with BL."

From the "main" BookLikes menu on the top of your "dashboard" page, select "shelf", then go into "table view" (there's a button to the right, above your shelves). You should now see a page with a table that has a column entitled "My review," where it either says "add review" or "see review" and "edit review." If you click on "edit review, you're directly taken to your review's edit page.

Also, to preselect only your reviewed books in "table view" mode (so you don't have to go through pages and pages of books you haven't reviewed), select "reviewed" from the menu to the left. That should give you a table (or series of tables, depending on the number of your reviews) only featuring the books that you have actually reviewed. You can further sort your table of reviewed books by author name, title, and a number of other categories so as to get to the review(s) you want to edit more quickly.