Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > Writing using slang

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hides (kellyhides) I have been given a task from my creative writing class to create a piece of writing using slang and am really struggling as I don't speak slang at all. Any help?

message 2: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments Hmm... By "slang," could regional dialect be acceptable? I know that here in the south United States, we love "words" (I use quotation marks because they are NOT words) such as "ain't," "wanna," "gonna," and the like.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hides (kellyhides) Yess we have them but here in London everyone pretty much uses "ain't" and "wanna" ect...

When I say slang I mean more "street". It's very hard to describe without being stereotypical and calling it "chav language" *No offensive intended to anyone

message 4: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments Oh, okay. Well I can't really help that much, then. I'm sorry.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) I'm from New York, so we have our own share of slang and stereotypes to pass around, LOL. But I've never been to London. You're looking for dialect from that region?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Weldon (sarahrweldon-author) | 6045 comments Kelly wrote: "Yess we have them but here in London everyone pretty much uses "ain't" and "wanna" ect...

When I say slang I mean more "street". It's very hard to describe without being stereotypical and calling..."

Just go people watching, or in your case people listening, you'll soon get the hang of it, I did - I now find it relatively simple to slide into the use of slang as and where needed, in three languages. You can use a slang dictionary-there are plenty of them on the internet Kelly. Good luck with your piece.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brenner (amandabrenner) Kelly wrote: "I have been given a task from my creative writing class to create a piece of writing using slang and am really struggling as I don't speak slang at all. Any help?"

When in doubt, hit the Internet. Try typing in something like "London slang" or "British street slang" and see what turns up. If nothing else, you may get leads to sites that will help.

message 8: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan McElhatten | 21 comments Even though I have ZERO experience in writing, I suggest only using slang when a character with a specific personality is talking--either that, or use slang if the story is written in first person.