The Sword and Laser discussion

Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryne (new)

Ryne | 68 comments Yeah. if you read it I don't see why not.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 1212 comments Why wouldn't you?

message 3: by Rich (new)

Rich (justanothergringo) | 98 comments Of course! Add them. After all, it's not called the, "Read A New Book For The Very First Time Readers Challenge"

message 4: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (quietambition) | 17 comments I do! Although I don't count comic books towards my goal, even if it's a 20vol omnibus. Some do and up their goal accordingly. My preference is to ignore them.

Do what you want! :P

message 5: by Massimiliano (new)

Massimiliano | 2 comments I don't see any reason to worry. I do that often. Especially because I always thought the second read is the best.

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments I think you'll find that most people here won't look down at you for counting re-reading books to your Reading Challenge count. I certainly count them when I do it (for example, next year I think I'm going to do the entire Wheel of Time series again, and I'll certainly count those to my challenge).

message 7: by Rich (new)

Rich (justanothergringo) | 98 comments terpkristin wrote: "for example, next year I think I'm going to do the entire Wheel of Time series again..."

Don't do it! Step away from the ledge!

message 8: by Geoff (new)

Geoff (geoffgreer) terpkristin wrote: "for example, next year I think I'm going to do the entire Wheel of Time series again, and I'll certainly count those to my challenge"

Next year, I'm planning to read it for the first time. I still need to find (used) copies of a few of the books

message 9: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I say do it, most of us do. But keep in mind changing the dates will remove it from previous challenges, that's why I keep shelves for years, allows me to see what and how much I read in a year regardless of the goodreads stats.

message 10: by Shaina (new)

Shaina (shainaeg) | 165 comments I don't count them because I like having my date read be the first time I read a book. If there was a way to have multiple dates then I would totally count rereads.

message 11: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments Though it doesn't help with the reading challenge through GR, I always put the books I read on a shelf for the year (ie, this year, each book goes on my 2013 shelf, among others). That way, if I re-read, I still know which books and how many I read each year. I also have a shelf for re-reads.

message 12: by Ty (new)

Ty Wilson (ShatterStar66) | 165 comments I'd never thought of shelving them by year on here. That's a good idea. I'll have to do that. Thanks!

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
terpkristin wrote: "Though it doesn't help with the reading challenge through GR, I always put the books I read on a shelf for the year (ie, this year, each book goes on my 2013 shelf, among others). That way, if I re..."

That's exactly what I do too.

message 14: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Ty wrote: "I'd never thought of shelving them by year on here. That's a good idea. I'll have to do that. Thanks!"

Me too. Starting in 2014. To late for this year but next one it's on.

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Micah wrote: "Ty wrote: "I'd never thought of shelving them by year on here. That's a good idea. I'll have to do that. Thanks!"

Me too. Starting in 2014. To late for this year but next one it's on."

I started it this year when I got annoyed that there was no good way to track re-reads that already had a date set (most of my re-reads were from before GR so it wasn't an issue)

Then I want back and made a shelf for last year however. I also made a huge "read before goodreads" shelf for everything else.

Then again I'm a bit OCD and like to have proper labels for things..

message 16: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Creating yearly read by shelves seems a bit redundant. Just got to My Books - Stats, and you can click on the 'View books from xxxx(year)'.

I DO have a re-read shelf but that is also unnecessary just for counting. Just rate and review a different edition and Goodreads counts it as separate book.

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new)

AndrewP wrote: "Creating yearly read by shelves seems a bit redundant. Just got to My Books - Stats, and you can click on the 'View books from xxxx(year)'.

I DO have a re-read shelf but that is also unnecessary ..."

That only works for the read date. Example: I read
Cold Days last November when it came out.

This year I redid the whole series in audio. The book only shows up in the challenge/stats under 2012, not 2013, but I have it on my shelves for both year.

message 18: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments AndrewP wrote: "Creating yearly read by shelves seems a bit redundant. Just got to My Books - Stats, and you can click on the 'View books from xxxx(year)'.

I DO have a re-read shelf but that is also unnecessary ..."

For me, it's just easier to shelve by year. In addition to all years read being in one obvious place, I don't have to fuss with other editions, which can be difficult/clunky on the mobile site.

Each their own :)

message 19: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Rob wrote: "That only works for the read date. Example: I read
Cold Days last November when it came out.

This year I redid the whole series in audio. The book only shows up in the challenge/stats under 2012, not 2013, but I have it on my shelves for both year. "

I only see Cold Days once on your shelves. There should be one read in 2012 and another for the audible version read in 2013 ????

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yeah. I refuse to add multiple copies because of a bad design by goodreads. That's my point. I have it on my manually created 2012 & 2013 shelves so I know I read it both years.

message 21: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments terpkristin wrote: "Each their own :) "

NOT ON THE INTERNET!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! ;)

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I also do yearly shelves. Makes it easier.

message 23: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Rob wrote: "Yeah. I refuse to add multiple copies because of a bad design by goodreads. That's my point. I have it on my manually created 2012 & 2013 shelves so I know I read it both years."

Hmm. point taken. I guess if your reading the same physical book that makes sense. Personally I would always regard different media as separate versions. Three possibilities - printed/eBook, audio and graphic novel.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I do yearly shelves, partly because GoodReads used to have awesome widget makers that you could do for specific shelves.

Used to.

I only discovered that they had gotten rid of them when I looked at my blog and had a bunch of gaping holes on the sidebar. Grr, argh, it was just script, why get rid of that?

message 25: by Rob, Roberator (new)

AndrewP wrote: "Personally I would always regard different media as separate versions. Three possibilities - printed/eBook, audio and graphic novel."

Yeah. That's cool if that works for you. I'm OCD about my shelves.

I badly want to redesign parts of their database so you have a single book entry with options for multiple read dates and format/edition options.

message 26: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4190 comments Rob wrote: "AndrewP wrote: "Personally I would always regard different media as separate versions. Three possibilities - printed/eBook, audio and graphic novel."

Yeah. That's cool if that works for you. I'm O..."

Me too, on multiple dates read and format. Til then, I have shelves for years and for format (among other things). ;)

message 27: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Weis | 126 comments Rich wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "for example, next year I think I'm going to do the entire Wheel of Time series again..."

Don't do it! Step away from the ledge!"

But it gets better every time!
I think I've read the series like 6 or 7 times through now and I love it more and more each time... (But I may be a little sick in the head :-P)

message 28: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments Rob wrote: "Yeah. That's cool if that works for you. I'm OCD about my shelves."

I'm trying not to be:) But I have every book I've ever read in a dated index book going back to 1974. I'm working backwards adding them into GR and have got as far as 1984. As my physical index is falling apart I want to safeguard all this information. Adding it to GR, then exporting it as a backup meets my needs.

message 29: by Brightlord (new)

Brightlord Sabri (Spiro) | 11 comments Well you're challenging yourself mostly, so do whatever you want :D

message 30: by Rich (new)

Rich (justanothergringo) | 98 comments Kathryn wrote: "I think I've read the series like 6 or 7 times through now and I love it more and more each time... (But I may be a little sick in the head :-P) ..."

I admire your dedication. We'll all send you flowers when you go away for therapy.