What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. (YA?) sci-fi, floating cities above toxic planet

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benjamin (last edited Nov 21, 2013 12:19PM) (new)

Benjamin Eskola (benjamineskola) This might have been a short story, I hope that's OK to post still.

There were some sort of floating cities above the surface of a planet humans had colonised; people couldn't safely travel on the surface possibly because of some sort of toxic plant. There was a popular sport involving some sort of glider, with the risk of missing the target and ending up on the surface. (view spoiler)

message 2: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Nov 23, 2013 01:31PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments There's an interesting take on this in Niven's Plateau, but not sure which book it is. But, not 'toxic' but high pressure, and colony was all on top of very high mountain (not airborne).

I also saw one at the bookstore, that was similar in the toxicity - however it was about the main character (young guy) who risked death in order to go mining on the surface (no mention of gliders, and no spoiler on the backcover blurb) to get the colony its essential minerals. I think that one was an author with a last name that started with B-F
edit: _Sly Mongoose_ (still not sold at my fav. bookstore)
edit: Hmm, which is apparently set in the same universe as _Crystal Rain_ (2006) and _Ragamuffin_ (2007) - but, it's unclear if those two books also focus on the same world (which would be a setting you should investigate)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Benjamin, are you still looking for this book or short story?

message 4: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Dec 07, 2014 10:15PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1756 comments Btw, I bought _Sly Mongoose_ but haven't really started it. The first couple pages are excellent, however.

Excerpt from: _Sly Mongoose_

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Sly Mongoose for the clicky.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Benjamin left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sly Mongoose (other topics)