Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

All Things Writing > Things I hate

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bisky (new)

Bisky Scribbles (bisky_scribbles) | 2536 comments Mod
So, I'm at the point in my editing where I'm trying my best to find spelling and grammar mistakes. And here are some things I hate.

the word - Field

missing the 't' off 'the' and having 'he' not picked up by the spell checker

Loose and lose (But not choose and chose? #WtfDyslexia)

The fact that the spell checker thinks I want to spell 'perminate' when I really want to spell 'permanent'

and what ever the hell this thing is ;

What do you hate? :]

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner By far, I hate auto-correct.

I can't recount how many embarrassing posts I've done because of this curse to writer-kind. The worst was when addressing a fellow writer who was doing an endorsement for me. His name was auto-corrected from Phill to ' Uphill ', then the 2 nd time, when I slyly thought I'd caught the auto-gremlin, it auto corrected again to ' dung hill '.

I just call him Dude, now.

message 3: by Bisky (new)

You think thats bad! My phone is set in the language of the country I live, the message was

"Do you speak another language?"

And I wrote "Yes, In fart I do."

Infact - Infart (entrance)

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner Lmao ! * falls off chair *

Actually, that's something I'd have likely done on purpose :P

message 5: by Bisky (new)

I'm happy for timezones. It meant that probably only half of my 10,000 followers saw it before it was deleted :P

message 6: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments LOL! Bisky, that's embarrassing.
Yeah, spell-checker not picking up on mistakes that are mistakes but are still real words- a royal pain in the neck.

message 7: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
Bisky wrote: "And I wrote "Yes, In fart I do."

ROFL!!!!!!! I don't remember last time I laughed that hard!!

So fart is a language now, huh? :>

message 8: by J (new)

J | 301 comments Mod
I hate mistakes with 'the' and 'he,' too. Auto correct drives me nuts, too. I like timezones because Japan is wayyyy ahead of American, so when Pokemon airs in Japan, it's available sometimes with subtitles early in the day here. xD

But now I realize this thread is not just about grammar? lol

But what I've grown to hate this fall are glowing white fluorescent lights. That's why I don't like the library on campus after dark because those lights glow---then in my dorm, they are also the same kind of lights, so I use my own lamp... Right now I'm in the library in a private little room that has windows that let in daylight. :3

I want to rant a little bit---I also hate it when I'm reading in a quiet area on campus with couches--then people start showing up and talking---Don't you people see that I was here first and I'm reading??? lol - I'm thinking "can't you people engage in your trivial babbling elsewhere?"

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Michelle | 450 comments Mod
Conscious vs Conscience -.-' gets me every time xp

message 10: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments Bisky wrote: "You think thats bad! My phone is set in the language of the country I live, the message was

"Do you speak another language?"

And I wrote "Yes, In fart I do."

Infact - Infart (entrance)"

I decree from now on, anytime a question comes up about you, the answer shall begin with "In fart,"

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 12 comments One thing I do for the he/the problem: when I finish a chapter I load up Word's Find/Replace with "he" and the Whole Word checkbox, click Find once, and then close the search box and use control-PageDowns to fast-flick through the entire section looking for any "he"s that don't work. Then repeat for "the".

My own pet peeve is possibilities. Not the concept, the word: you can go blind counting that you've got all the the i's and l's and t's in all the right places.

message 12: by Bisky (new)

@J

I've created a monster.

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barnes | 86 comments Willow wrote: "Affect vs Effect!
Segway vs Segueway! Hate them both.

Southern colloquialisms such as:
"cut off the light." "Mash that light." turn off the light.
"I'll carry you to the store." I'll take you to..."

I'm in the PNW and I use some of those. LOL

@Bisky ROfLMAO That is too funny!

Things I hate. Hate is a strong word I save for special occasions. No dislike immensely...finding mistakes in the proof of my book that are not in my manuscript. I did not spend hours going through it to fix mistakes just to have Word put in more when change change the formatting to fit the book.

Someone mimicking me. You want to piss me off the fastest? Copy everything I do or say. GRRRRR (that might actually go in the hate category.)

message 14: by G.G. (new)

Something I hate... Paying for an editor that is basically a human word processor who doesn't read the sentences before adding '-' between every word that can, or to change its for it's when it's clearly a possessive.
Well, I have other places where I prefer wasting my money. :>

Finding a typo in my manuscript after I could swear I had corrected it. (It was probably one of the hundredth copies I keep, but obviously not the latest version.) GRrrrrrrrrrrrr

I'm sure I can find a few dozens things I hate if I stop and think about it...

message 15: by G.G. (last edited Nov 24, 2013 11:31AM) (new)

No, I used its in a sentence such as (not the exact sentence but similar): 'Its color caught my eyes'. She changed its for it's. She wanted me to write: It's color caught my eyes. The word processor also had difficulties with the sentence as it was flagging the its for it's too, and that's why she reported it. Clearly she never read the sentence.
Another example: She stayed up all night. She wanted me to write all-night. He moved the chair out of the way= He moved the chair out-of-the-way. I opted to change the sentence for, 'He moved the chair out of his way' to remove the ambiguity it could cause. But honestly, when you need to research every correction only to find out that they were wrong, and having the editor admit it afterward, I mean no... If I'm going to pay for an editor, I want to be able to trust her/his judgment.

Edited: I guess my earlier post wasn't clear. I didn't mean that it's was clearly a possessive. It was it's as it is clearly a possessive. Sorry for the confusion.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 12 comments C.G.: It's long been said, to err is human, to really mess things up requires a computer. But thank you for reaffirming my faith that true human ingenuity and will can accomplish errors even machines can't.

Oy!

message 17: by G.G. (new)

lol

message 18: by Claire (new)

Claire (cycraw) | 278 comments Take my mother's advice - you don't need to accept every edit an editor suggests. It seems so obvious, but it really helped me.

message 19: by Bisky (new)

I read in Sherrlyin Kenyon's blog once that she had a copy editor who removed every single hypen from the book, including the ones in Dark-hunter

And Dark-Hunter.com lol

message 20: by Ken (new)

Ken Hughes (kenhughes) | 12 comments No hyphens? Dash away, dash away, dash away all --from that editor. (Yes, I do Santa puns too.)

message 21: by H.C. (new)

H.C. Gray (scribberlings) | 53 comments I am worried that my copy-editor will remove a lot of my commas. I like my commas. I'm not priggish about using commas.